Just tried a collective pitch heli...

Bowley

I found orientations to be the biggest hurdle and cause of most crashes, sims are great for learning this as are coax heli's and MR's, if you have your orientations sussed from flying MR's your half way there.
The fixed pitch helis with 45° flybars (self levelling) like Blade 120SR are great for learning and I think feel a little like an MR with very responsive yaw.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Prior to my first dose of multirotor this is how I spent my free time...

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

...and before that a little of this...

DSC_0011a-1.jpg

...once RC gets in the blood it's impossible to cure!

These days I find nothing better than a good day at the field doing FPV with a good set of video goggles, nothing else quite matches the experience IMO.

The biggest difference I see between a multi and an SRH is those rather large carbon fiber ginsu knives spinning at 3000 rpm on a SRH don't slow down or stop very easily, lots of inertia there that can do a lot of collateral damage in a crash, something that doesn't happen with a multi. That's one reason the crash costs tend to be less for a multi besides the fact the parts are generally cheaper for a multi.

Ken

P.S. I flew a tricopter for the first time last evening, still trying to wrap my brain around how this thing flys!

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisViperM

RTRyder, you got some damn nice stuff lined up here.....how do you negotiate your expenses with the lady.....???? :tennis:

something like: Uhhh darling, look what I won at the raffle.... ?

Chris

kloner

Aerial DP
are those left ones xcells?

I worked with shirlley that i believe did that frames setup/r&d

Right now i've got 2 custom 700mm gassers and three elctric 700 scale. I really enjoy the gasser helis, think when naza-h comes out it'll be time to run the pump gas through a monitor

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
are those left ones xcells?

I worked with shirlley that i believe did that frames setup/r&d

Right now i've got 2 custom 700mm gassers and three elctric 700 scale. I really enjoy the gasser helis, think when naza-h comes out it'll be time to run the pump gas through a monitor

Yes, the white one is a Spectra G gasser and the next one in is a Xcell Fury 60. The Spectra G I sold to build my Droidworx AD6, the Fury I still have. After that picture was taken I added a Century Radikal G20 gasser which I still have along with the Titan 50, Trex 450, and a couple of the smaller ones. Haven't flown any of them in a long time, much rather FPV one of the quads...

Ken

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
there's a Hirobo 50 nitro for sale for $250 about 40 mins from me. i've been so freakin' tempted to go buy it but I hear Hirobo is big $$$ to keep running. :( it's in perfect shape too. :(

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I think in fact the only real in flight difference between a MR and an electronically stabilized SR is simply the intimidation factor. I was flying my quad around, nose in, no problem, but was still nervous to do it on the 600 heli.

Thanks for all the great advice guys (keep it coming). My current plan is to practice with this little demon possessed Blade Nano for a bit and invest in a simulator, either Phoenix or Real Flight. Then once I'm fairly proficient I'll invest in something in the 450 to 600 class range. Maybe a Logo. Got a good friend in Greece that recommends them. After that, we'll see...

kloner

Aerial DP
in that size the mikado stuff is hard to beat, couple it with v-bar and your flying a ferrari

beyond that, 700 size look at the Three D Rigid, even smoother

Macsgrafs

Ben, I taught myself & my fiancee to fly helis on phoenix sim..my fiancee has asked me to post this video:-

If you're going to get a heli...nothing smaller than a 500 size, better go for a 600 in my book, far more stable.

Regards
Ross

Ben, I taught myself & my fiancee to fly helis on phoenix sim..my fiancee has asked me to post this video:-

If you're going to get a heli...nothing smaller than a 500 size, better go for a 600 in my book, far more stable.

Regards
Ross

Ross, that is awesome and very inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

I recently bought a 550e fbl, just need to finish the setup and go fly. But I cant wait to feel the difference between it and my trex 250 i learnt to fly on.

Efliernz

Pete
No pressure Ryan... my Trex-700 cameraship is still for sale ;)

I have sold all my helis as I'm simply not flying them any more. I might buy at 250 or a 450 just to keep the fingers going. At the moment, my "disposable quad" is flying 20 min a day of line-of-sight aeros. A quad doing axial-rolls straight down from 350' at dusk looks awesome ;)

Pete

So I picked up a Blade Nano CP X (RTF) with the DX4e. I've been wanting to try a collective pitch heli for a long time. I got it to hover, but wow, this thing feels like it has a mind of its own and I'm just fighting it. I'm sure it's just a matter of logging the hours of practice, like anything else, but it felt like I was starting over! I will master it though.

Any tips?

thanks,
Ben

(Looking for some perspective from folks that have made the transition from multirotors to single rotor.)

Ben, I can't help much from that perspective. I've been flying single rotor heli's since the mid eighties and only started with multi rotors last year. But I will say this: go ahead and keep practicing with that Blade Nano. If you can truly master precision hovering and fast forward flight in all orientations with it then you will be able to fly anything. Learning on small machines is frustrating and difficult but it will pay dividends later. A sim is also a good idea to supplement your time with the Blade.

I try to fly my Blade mCP at least a couple times a day. Keeps the reflexes good for the big birds. :)

IMGP8422.jpg

nick