Aeronavics / Droidworx Nic's XM-6 build blog...

nicwilke

Bit the bullet and ordered some APC props. I now have tested 7 type of props on this thing. It flies all of them well, but I've got to govern amps as 5kg is something that guzzles power. The 12x3.8's are the shallowest props I've ever used, so will test them tonight. Hope its a good mix of lift and flight times, eCalc says its all good. The 11x5 Graupners are superb on this thing also, but dont have quite the throttle range I'm after with the whole weight.
I've decided I'm dumping the PJ710V camera. I'm happy with it, but I want a lighter rig till I build the skyjib next year (with the Hero PH gimbal).

Hi Nic

Going on my past builds of AD6HLE's with AV200 and something like a CX760 or Canon 650D I have found that Xoar 13 x4 props and 30C 4S Lipos work okay with a 5KG model. Flight time in hover works out to be around 9 to 10 mins. I have always used the AXI Droidworx 2814/22. Have you tried 13" props? I am just about to build an XM6 so I will soon find out...

What sort of times are you getting

Bit the bullet and ordered some APC props. I now have tested 7 type of props on this thing. It flies all of them well, but I've got to govern amps as 5kg is something that guzzles power. The 12x3.8's are the shallowest props I've ever used, so will test them tonight. Hope its a good mix of lift and flight times, eCalc says its all good. The 11x5 Graupners are superb on this thing also, but dont have quite the throttle range I'm after with the whole weight.
I've decided I'm dumping the PJ710V camera. I'm happy with it, but I want a lighter rig till I build the skyjib next year (with the Hero PH gimbal).

nicwilke

Hi Nic

Going on my past builds of AD6HLE's with AV200 and something like a CX760 or Canon 650D I have found that Xoar 13 x4 props and 30C 4S Lipos work okay with a 5KG model. Flight time in hover works out to be around 9 to 10 mins. I have always used the AXI Droidworx 2814/22. Have you tried 13" props? I am just about to build an XM6 so I will soon find out...

What sort of times are you getting

Testing 12x3.8s tonight. No camera, I get about 9min. I'm using tiger 2814 (770kv). I wish I had a the cash for AXI droidworx motors.
Those APCs are sure good.
I've got Xoar 12x5's and they get the ESC's too hot. I'm setting on 11x5's Grauper, or the APC 12x3.8s. I will give the Xoars another try over the weekend with a gopro and see what is going on there.

I think next year I'll move over to 40a esc's and axi motors. Any which way, this XM-6 is superb.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I have always used the AXI Droidworx 2814/22. Have you tried 13" props? I am just about to build an XM6 so I will soon find out...

Aye Up Andy ....13x4 what.. 9 to 10 mins with what pack/packs? What FC/ESC's

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

nicwilke

In eCalc, 13x4's look the goods. I may try some, but for the moment, I'm really impressed with the 12x3.8's on this machine. I've got 12x5 Xoar, and they are a work of art, but just on the border of being a little too stressful for my speedies. If I sell the PJ710V and go smaller, I think the 12x5's would be perfect for a AUW reduction. With each test, I read the shake-state/vibration, and the Amps to hover in real time. The APC's seem to fly smoother, with no fluctuation in vibration. I think their flexibility act as a dampener to the actual flight, like air suspension I guess.... So much tuning involved with props, YS-X6 and the Skyline, but its set up very tidy now.

Hi Dave, on the AD6HLE 13x4 Xoar, 40AMP Hobbywing opto, and WKM it also had an AV200 with 360 pan kit.. As too the bats 2x 5000mAh 4s 30c. And its flying in you neck of the woods. My XM6 build is in progress for a new start up company. I've done all the PDB / ESC extended legs and setup the the AV200 with its Skyline but am yet to put the main frame together. I will soon find out if I can get the 13's on. We will see. However I think it's going to need 12x4 and 2 x 5000 5s. I have just delivered an XM4 which managed a safe 9mins, less than I would have liked but it works fine for the client. Then it's on to a XM8 extended. Busy times.

By the way your aerial shot of the guest house is fantastic. Almost as good as my CX4 pictures on the droidworx web site lol. Whose guest house is it? it looks like a lovely place.

Aye Up Andy ....13x4 what.. 9 to 10 mins with what pack/packs? What FC/ESC's

Dave

Nic how are you measuring the vibration in real time? By the way some time ago i asked which dampers you were using I have just completed an XM4 and found that the yellow dampers work best for a lighter load I.e a Nikon 1 V1 it makes sense really. The red ones seem to work better with a payload load of around 400g and up and yellow for less than 400g So if your moving down in camera size you may want to try the yellow ones. But I don't know your camera weights just thought I would mention it. I'm not sure if Droidworx have any technical data on this or recommendations.

In eCalc, 13x4's look the goods. I may try some, but for the moment, I'm really impressed with the 12x3.8's on this machine. I've got 12x5 Xoar, and they are a work of art, but just on the border of being a little too stressful for my speedies. If I sell the PJ710V and go smaller, I think the 12x5's would be perfect for a AUW reduction. With each test, I read the shake-state/vibration, and the Amps to hover in real time. The APC's seem to fly smoother, with no fluctuation in vibration. I think their flexibility act as a dampener to the actual flight, like air suspension I guess.... So much tuning involved with props, YS-X6 and the Skyline, but its set up very tidy now.

nicwilke

Nic how are you measuring the vibration in real time? By the way some time ago i asked which dampers you were using I have just completed an XM4 and found that the yellow dampers work best for a lighter load I.e a Nikon 1 V1 it makes sense really. The red ones seem to work better with a payload load of around 400g and up and yellow for less than 400g So if your moving down in camera size you may want to try the yellow ones. But I don't know your camera weights just thought I would mention it. I'm not sure if Droidworx have any technical data on this or recommendations.

I am using the ZeroTech YS-X6, which give you a heap of telemetry. Theres Vibrate state, and Shake state. The vibration measurement comes from sensors in the IMU. This is passed on via wifi (if thats the way you are setup) or the datalink (which is what I have) down to the GCS software (PC, or mobile). I use android GCS app, and can see the lot in real time. The interesting thing is you are allowed up to a reading of 10 to 12 out of 100, and the XM-6 is quite well dampened from vibration. I got a reading of 2 to 4 on some plastic props that were garbage, and it sounded like a flying chainsaw. The Xoars were showing 0-2 flying (and occasionally 3-4 if violently using controls) but the APC's were always showing 0, and occasionally 1 if I was rippin' into a fast accent.

Thanks for the tip on the softer rubbers, I'd thought that would be the case. I could mount the android phone to the gimbal, and hover test both rubbers with the vibration app, but I'm too busy at the moment. If I move down cameras, I'll do a test before switch over.

Thanks.

nicwilke

I believe it made the small twitch anomaly go away. Having the GPS antenna on the crash cage, and not on the mast makes it closer to my IMU. The Zero YS-X6 FC andIMU are bigger than a WKM, so the IMU sits taller, being closer to my GPS antenna. I guess its just a precaution, but I think its working

nicwilke

20121215_212235.jpg

Testing the Hero3 black and the Sony Action Cam this weekend. The Sony is actually quite a good little unit.

nicwilke

A little modification to the skids. I cut the 4 skids down with the steel saw, a clean straight cut. I found they were too long and this size keeps them out of wide angle view when using a hero or action Cam.
View attachment 8417

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356501398814.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356501398814.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 195

nicwilke

Tonight, I'll replace the red dampening rubbers with the softer yellow ones. I think lighter cameras prefer the softer rubber.

nicwilke

Went up to the Kiewa Valley yesterday to a winery to test gains on the skyline. Ended up just having a bunch of fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Good stuff its great when it all comes together..

What Camera / frame rate ext.

Nice to see some blue sky..

Dave

nicwilke

Good stuff its great when it all comes together..

What Camera / frame rate ext.

Nice to see some blue sky..

Dave

Hey Dave,
It was 40 decrees celcius today, so I'm not very impressed with the sky, hehe.

That was shot with the hero. 1080p, 60fps, conformed to PAL frame rates. I use NTSC to get an extra 5fps and conform in FCPX. I use the mid setting View attachment 8643

I think I've pushed the skyline and AV130 far enough to get an OK result, but since I'm getting a Halo1000 this month, I'll not blow too much more time on it.

Sunday I'm off to fly over the lake with some FPV cowboys. Will be great fun.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357294841415.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357294841415.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 260

nicwilke

OK, took some time out from flying and work to create a video for a competition in my area. You can help by going to FaceBook,
liking this page: http://www.facebook.com/rccomms then vote me #5). Watch all the videos (5 finalists) and then vote. You can win a Samsung Galaxy S3 4G for voting, so its worth the effort. Then spread the word to vote and continue spreading the word. I shot it on a S3 phone, and an iPhone 5, that was part of the rules.
Thanks for the help....

PaNt

Hey Dave,
It was 40 decrees celcius today, so I'm not very impressed with the sky, hehe.

That was shot with the hero. 1080p, 60fps, conformed to PAL frame rates. I use NTSC to get an extra 5fps and conform in FCPX. I use the mid setting View attachment 11261

I think I've pushed the skyline and AV130 far enough to get an OK result, but since I'm getting a Halo1000 this month, I'll not blow too much more time on it.

Sunday I'm off to fly over the lake with some FPV cowboys. Will be great fun.

Halo 1000??? do you mean hero 1000?? what price will you get on these?>