Aeronavics / Droidworx Nic's XM-6 build blog...

nicwilke

Late yesterday, I fully loaded my XM-6 and did some tests. Hovering and flying again with 12x4's, then 13x4.5's taking note of vibration and how it felt flying. I can say, 13's dropped vibration readings by a full unit, and it was way smoother... Like Ben Rowlands smooth! :D

Set-up of the XM-6 complete! I'm spending some more time tuning the Skyline now. I noticed it was roll twitching too much in a totally locked in smooth hover.

This thing is insanely smooth. Perfect!!!

nicwilke

I've been working on the gimbal tonight. This Photohigher AV130 was having a caniption fit when simply hover testing last night. I tightened the roll gear wheel so it's teeth fit into the gear rail a little deeper, and also tightened the carriage guide pulleys. It's gone from sloppy to tight, but not too tight. This has in turn eliminated a large dead band in feedback to the RSGS skyline. Test coming up. I'll try to film it with an on board gopro to see if there's any unwanted feedback.

As I get closer to having this XM-6 complete (and by complete, I mean to really high standards), I'm in awe of what droidworx has done to step ahead of the competition, there's home made carbon fibre multi rotors out there that do a bloody great job, however, this thing is a leap ahead. I think the design, quality and the customer service Linda, Lucy and Rob provide is a great strategy in what is going to be a saturated industry (already is). To provide an excellent product, even at a premium price is all professionals need. The thought put into every aspect of all the past, present and future frames is remarkable. I'm now trying to work out how to get the funds together for a CX4 for a fun flier with FPV.....

Videos coming this weekend of gimbal tests.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352976847194.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352976847194.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 337

nicwilke

Hating spaghetti wires, I'm trying to tidy with some 4mm loom tube. It will also avoid catching when tilt and rolling.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352977793999.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352977793999.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 332

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
You been playing knit one pearl one! ;-)

I got all my SL loom into a small black plastic box from Maplins twinlocked on to the servo.. neat as you ike.. Il post a pic later

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
NO on the AV200 it sits under the tilt servo. Ill get some pics at some point but I just got home from working away

Dave

nicwilke

A little sample of the XM-6 and photohigher gimbal. I'm about 75% happy with the setup, but have a ways to go with the gimbal stabilizer. I'm getting some strange roll twitching, but every day is an improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:

nicwilke

Somehow my integral gain on roll was on 80. I have no idea why? I dialed it back to zero, and it's fixed the drunk-like behaviour. Did not film, was only hover in back yard.

Nice video what camera are you using? As to Skyline loom. I did this, Its now all braided as well.
View attachment 7694

A little sample of the XM-6 and photohigher gimbal. I'm about 75% happy with the setup, but have a ways to go with the gimbal stabilizer. I'm getting some strange roll twitching, but every day is an improvement.

Attachments

• AV130_Skyline_Loom.jpeg
    AV130_Skyline_Loom.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 385

Thanks Nic. Have you tried both the red and the yellow dampers on the camera mount assembly yet? I would be interested in which one you found to be the best. I guess its also going to be down to camera weight.

Speak soon

Andrew

Nice and neat. I like tidy. I'm using a couple of cameras. PJ710v, XF100, NEX-7 and 7D.

Finding the PJ710V really good.

nicwilke

Thanks Nic. Have you tried both the red and the yellow dampers on the camera mount assembly yet? I would be interested in which one you found to be the best. I guess its also going to be down to camera weight.

Speak soon

Andrew

Hey Andrew,
I am using the firmer ones (red) and have no reason to swap out to the yellow softer ones. My IMU is showing 0 to 1 (occasionally 2) on vibration at full weighted tests, so it's not existent. I'm careful with prop balance, and think the if vibration isn't there, it doesn't need to be masked with softer dampening.

What frame do you have?

nicwilke

During this built (and tuning) etc, I've been using the dining table in our house, and I think I finally annoyed my wife enough that she and I spend the entire weekend cleaning out the garage of the junk you accumulate with having a child, and from keeping stuff you just dont need or use... So, I've been banished to the garage now, as she's helped me set up my little 'copter table' as she calls it. I guess its OK now since it's not too hot, and I do have permission to bring it inside if I'm working on it in the 45 ̊C summer days we get here sometimes in February....

banished.jpg

Preparing another prop test. See the Gemfan on the wall (tip damaged). Thats from my Labrador, not a crash. :livid:

nicwilke

rcshutter.jpg

Installed an RCShutter last night. So with my JR9503, I can fly the XM-6 with 4 channels for general controlling, 2 channels for flight mode (manual, manual altitude, GPS - Att, GPS waypoints, GPS RTG) and 1 channel for tilting the AV130, 1 channel for record on/off, and 1 channel for zoom in and out.

That's it, I've maxed out the JR 9 channel radio, but I'm finding it great as the left and right slider can be used to tilt and zoom.

The RCShutter is excellent, plug and play. No setup, just put the shutter release to the channel you need, and then theres the zoom signal only wire to another channel. Cheap as chips from www.rcshutter.com Thanks to Tezcan for the awesome service and speedy help.

nicwilke

Forgive me if you've posted this, but what are you using for your LCD display and power ...

Razzil, I'm using a 5000mah 3s lipo with some XT60 connectors to power the:
• 900mhz Datalink
• Wifi Link (to my android phone's GCS software)
• LCD screen (7inch)
• 5.8ghz video reciever.

I can run it for many hours without much of a dent in the voltage.