Aeronavics / Droidworx Nic's XM-6 build blog...

nicwilke

2:20pm, turning it in. But not before a sneak peek at what it'll look like. Tomorrow, I will get the other motors on, then start wiring. On track for maiden flight late this week.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351610492806.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351610492806.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 224

Efliernz

Pete
Posted at 4:21am!!! Dedication mate!

It looks awesome. I look forward to the flight review ;)

26 minutes on mine now and no scratches. The wind will get up over the next few days so I get to really test it ;)

Pete

nicwilke

I reckon I just shut my eyes, and my 2 year old yelled out "dadda, wanna get up" at 6am. LOL. I have to solder on the baterry terminal better, I'm not happy with it. I think my soldering iron is stuffed as I wasnt getting the solder quite hot enough. I got the ESC's on thanks to a butane torch, but I need the main power input better. I'll drop into the hardware and get a new 80watt Soldering iron, and 4 bolts I need to get the last 2 motors on. This will happen tonight, and then I'll get the FC platform on, followed by the crash cage, dome and GPS mast. Slowly getting there. I'd be finished if I didnt have a 2yo, but she's been a great help. This morning she said "Wow, look at daddas chopper, isnt it byoodiful" She's so rite, it is. She's got as much interest in it as I do.

Efliernz

Pete
The interest wont last - grab it while you can!
My daughter wanted a multi-coloured quad... so I bought all the bits, then turned 14 and found the male species... and facebook and twitter... :(

Pete

nicwilke

This evening, I got the PCB finished. Then finished the motor mounts, nacelles and motors. Getting a little fiddly getting the wires down the CF booms past the centre bolt at the plates, but got them sorted. I worked on this until late into the morning so getting a longer sleep tonight.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351686432716.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351686432716.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 257

nicwilke

Now, I've bolted the Photohigher gimbal (AV130) onto the quick hitch system. This is brilliant, and I'm setting up the second lead, and power lead with plugs to make them sever easy. This system is really cool, I can take the gimbal off, and the legs in under a minute. Actually, probably 30 seconds when I get used to it.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351686778932.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351686778932.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 242

nicwilke

Mind the spaghetti wires popping up. This is to find polarity of the motors tomorrow.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351687027532.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351687027532.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 300

hjls3

So nice! Cant wait to see it fly, maybe a video of you breaking it down? It would be awesome to see those quick releases in action. What camera do you plan on flying?

nicwilke

The PDB adds another layer, but there will be plenty of room under the dome.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351687226850.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351687226850.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 250

nicwilke

The gimbal is the same thickness as the landing gear. Looks awesome.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351687332477.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351687332477.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 223

nicwilke

So nice! Cant wait to see it fly, maybe a video of you breaking it down? It would be awesome to see those quick releases in action. What camera do you plan on flying?

I'm putting a Sony PJ710v on it. It's basically a CX730 but has a projector on the screen. It arrived last week, and all ready to go.

I'll try to film the maiden test hover of the XM without gimbal.

nicwilke

BTW, I've got the orange as leading edge, and in the manual, orange is the trailing edge. This is because I fly with the front of the craft highlighted, not the back. Made it a little hard at times since I thought the orange was front..

nicwilke

Now, I've bolted the Photohigher gimbal (AV130) onto the quick hitch system. This is brilliant, and I'm setting up the second lead, and power lead with plugs to make them sever easy. This system is really cool, I can take the gimbal off, and the legs in under a minute. Actually, probably 30 seconds when I get used to it.

Efliernz

Pete
Looks awesome mate. Great job :)

The quick-release system looked great when I had a play with one at DW...

Last edited by a moderator:

nicwilke

Pull off those skids, and it's quite flat.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351777784232.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351777784232.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 223

nicwilke

I got the wiring all done. It was tricky, because I have data link, gps, and the YS-X6 flight controller is bigger than a WKM, however, it's all in there. I'm what you would call a little strange when it comes to neat wires. I guess my Dad being an electrical engineer, I learned a bit off him.

This is with the ADX's lid, and I think I'll get some gloss spray tomorrow and paint the new dome black.

The GPS is velco'd to the top of the crash cage.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351777851763.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351777851763.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 331

nicwilke

Test props for this afternoon. Turnigy 13x4.5's. They are well balanced, and superbly finished. I've got Gemfan 13x4.5's in the Wood also, and the quality is indistinguishable. In a week or so, I'll do a hover test with a camera for a minute using the Turnigy wood props, land, and replace with same size Gemfan wood props. I'll then read the live vibration data on my Android phone via the datalink to see if there's any difference.
I'm thinking about painting the dome orange, but think black looks way smart! The ADX dome will do for now till I decide.
Flight test later today (after 4pm).

View attachment 7450

Attachments

• finished.jpg
    finished.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 151
Last edited by a moderator: