GoPro FPV kit

VINHEX

Anyone using GoPro In FPV? Can you use an OSD as well, can you record as well as FPV? Is the image better than using a designated camera?

DesJardins

I use my GoPro for FPV.

ReadymadeRC HD A/V cable to the Vtx sends it all plug-n-play.
If using a GoPro make sure of the following though...

Turn off the "auto shut off" that way if you forget to hit record it doesn't go blank on you after the timed shut down. Always check the battery, I leave the GoPro's OSD on so I can see its recording by the timer and the battery level.

Other than that I love mine

Last edited by a moderator:

VINHEX

Ooh does GoPro have its own OSD!!! Or am I being a numpty if so what does it show? All new to me

DesJardins

When I say GoPro OSD, it only displays battery indicator for the GoPro, time you have been recording and the type of recording your doing like "r4"

Real OSD for craft distance, voltage...etc is seperate

VINHEX

Are, makes sense, I thought I read a lot about it, but thought I had a brain fart and missed that one. Thanks for the reply.. I've got the option to purchase a lead to run all on one battery 3S using balance lead. I know this could be risky but wookong has failsafe. Do you use one or two batteries?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I use the GoPro for the FPV cam on two of my quads and dedicated pilot cams on a couple others. The GoPro can have some issues in both low light and pointed towards bright light sources like the sun. On the other hand a lot of FPV cams do as well unless you spend some signigicant $$$ on a good one. If you're going to use an OSD with the GoPro you may have to turn off the GoPro OSD if there is overlap in the displays, or you could get an OSD like the Remzibi that allows you to move things around in its display.

On one of my quads where the GoPro is the only cam and used as pilot cam I installed the battery backpack which effectively doubles the run time. There are also other setups out there that can provide external 5 volt power to the GoPro so you don't have to worry about the internal battery going flat.

Ken

DesJardins

In my opinion power the GoPro from its own pack, stay away from powering it on the flight system.
I've heard not so great things if that little back plug goes out.

It's all preference and "if" you have room for more than one cam or do you care to record?

Macsgrafs

I use a gopro HD on my 2.3mtr fox glider, there is a downside...if more than 50% of the cameras view is sky, then it shuts down & makes the ground almost black in parts, so try & keep it to 1/3rd sky if possible.

DesJardins

It's so strange that mine doesn't do that... I'm going to go outside and point it directly at the sun to see of the surroundings saturate in color.

:shrug:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
In my opinion power the GoPro from its own pack, stay away from powering it on the flight system.
I've heard not so great things if that little back plug goes out.

It's all preference and "if" you have room for more than one cam or do you care to record?

Not just the plug in the back that can cause problems, there's a lot of things that can be just as disasterous flying FPV, having a flight controller that is RTH capable can be a huge asset. My QAV500 is one of the quads that I use the GoPro to fly by, on one flight I was about a half mile out roughly 20 to 30 feet off the deck and absolutely beyond LOS when the video signal went dead due to a fractured wire into the vtx. Being able to flip that switch and have it automatically fly itself back was not only a huge relief but probably saved me a search and recovery mission and resultant crash repair.

You have to weight the risks of the setup you're planning to use and decide if you're willing to accept those risks, I don't know of any system that is 100% failure free 100% of the time so I like having the failsafe of RTH, its already proved its worth to me.

Ken

DesJardins

RTH is something I hope isn't ever tripped without my flipping the switch but I'm glad it's at least programmed. One thing is that no matter what can your using ANYTHING can happen when your thousands of feet away. As long as you take the best precautions with the gear you are using I see no reason to worry.

Cheers

Tomstoy2

Not just the plug in the back that can cause problems, there's a lot of things that can be just as disasterous flying FPV, having a flight controller that is RTH capable can be a huge asset. My QAV500 is one of the quads that I use the GoPro to fly by, on one flight I was about a half mile out roughly 20 to 30 feet off the deck and absolutely beyond LOS when the video signal went dead due to a fractured wire into the vtx. Being able to flip that switch and have it automatically fly itself back was not only a huge relief but probably saved me a search and recovery mission and resultant crash repair.

You have to weight the risks of the setup you're planning to use and decide if you're willing to accept those risks, I don't know of any system that is 100% failure free 100% of the time so I like having the failsafe of RTH, its already proved its worth to me.

Ken

Amen to that, brother! I hit rth when I lost a prop half over the pumpkins, didn't help a bit with one motor out. Of course, I didn't upgrade the firmware to 5.14, just 5.10. Still, better than nothing. Just couldn't overcome the list to that lost lift area. Just did as my old flight instructor taught me, " best chance to survive a crash is to fly it as far as possible into the crash"!

kloner

Aerial DP
ken said it well. It's not so much the sun shuts down the ground as much as a camera with wdr makes the ground really light up

I've only recently gotten into dedicated cameras and am finally weening myself one by one. i'm5 rigs in and now all 6 have pixim cams except one ccd and that's gonna be the next pixim int he fleet when i replace it. they make props look weird, but man do they show the dark spot. I'm uploading some great examples of why you want one if you want to get into shooting gaps and flying proximity

VINHEX

Looking into buying both, I was just thinking of using the GoPro kit as already going to buy one.

Vin
DJI F550
DJI WKM
DJI DataLink 2.4Ghz
3s 3300
3s 5000
Aeroxcraft Landing Gear
Graupner 10x5 e-Props

kloner

Aerial DP
it is there, just not as good, this would do a hero, sony and has a pixim cam.....

one of the bigger things not using live feed does is eliminate the wire coming out the side or back. when you have that wire in, it transfers jello. without it is way easier to smooth out the video you get.

Attachments

• DSC00199 (1024x680).jpg
    DSC00199 (1024x680).jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 394

kloner

Aerial DP
on that plane fpv vid from me yesterday, theres no way the dark shadow where the trail is when was shooting through them trees is somehting the wdr cams do well and the heros struggle with...... on a pixim, theres like a minute when the sun comes up and down that is unlyable into it. almost the last and first half hour the hero struggles to fly... if you fly in the day in bright sun, your golden. At the cliffs a few weeks ago when i'd fly into the sun, could see ground, but no details. The pixim i couldn't get to record that day was bright and clear both ways. They give you a more detailed picture overall to...... goggles not so important, big monitors, huge important

see how well you can see into the shadows... going in and out of them had no affect

my hero does this look

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
I never noticed it with my sharks but i wasn't trying much then.... Them attitude sd just came in stock, i'm doing everything i can to ignore but it keeps tuggin at me....