Aerial Tips - Lesson #1

Recently, people have been contacting us about how to sharpen their aerial video chops. Now, we're not the Bruce Lee of aerial video, but we'd like to think that we're well on our way to a black belt. So we've decided to share a few tips about what we've learned along the way.

We proudly present a cheesy new series of videos called "Aerial Tips." Very original title, huh?

Now if we get more than five views, we may actually release a lesson 2 video. But let's talk a bit about lesson #1 - "Keep it moving." If you're a student of film, you may have noticed that good directors and DPs keep the camera moving, whether it's on the shoulder of a great camera op, on a dolly, or on a Steadicam. Whether subtle or grand, camera movement adds visual depth to a scene, giving it dimension.

So if your camera is mounted on something that flies, you might as well make it move. Hovering shots may show how stable your aircraft is, but it doesn't make for a very exciting shot.

Have a great moving shot you'd like to share? Post it in this thread. And if you liked this video, feel free to click on the share button in the upper right corner and post it to your grandma's Facebook page. We hear she has some sick RC heli skills.

Note: This video was shot from a Cinestar 8 with a Hoverfly Pro flight controller (the killer combo). Piloted by Benjamin Rowland and camerawork by Will Wheeler (the dynamic duo).

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Totally agree.. these babes are meant for dynamic flight not pole cam work.. Ill post some examples also when we have the reach from the DOP

Dave

Glad you guys like it. When I was cutting it together I had my doubts as to whether it would be useful at all - it was definitely cheesy though, as intended.

ChrisViperM

Glad you guys like it. When I was cutting it together I had my doubts as to whether it would be useful at all - it was definitely cheesy though, as intended.

...not only useful...AWESOME. I especially appreciate the time you put into this "project" to teach a thing or two to a caveman like me...

Thanks View attachment 5300

Attachments

• laola.gif
    laola.gif
    14.6 KB · Views: 195
Last edited by a moderator:

Vojec

Can't wait for lesson #2... Great video stuff you have on your web. Where did you get all the great background music from? Looking forward for that info ;).

Thanks.

Can't wait for lesson #2... Great video stuff you have on your web. Where did you get all the great background music from? Looking forward for that info ;).

Thanks.

Glad you guys like the video. The music for the tips video came with Apple's Soundtrack Pro program, and so did a few of the sound effects. Most of the music in our videos is from "The Music Bed." We license the music from them for a fee.

After all the positive feedback here and elsewhere, I guess we'll need to put together lesson #2. It may be a few weeks though - pretty busy a the moment.