WooKong-M enhanced flight algorithm – Coming Soon !

janoots2

I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty excited about the new update, I just wish they would hurry up and release it already :) I'm happy to see the company I chose for my FC is adding more value to the product with features/fixes beyond what I originally paid for. I do have a couple comments/ questions though:

1. Enhanced algorithm in dealing with variable wind speed: This is GREAT! Much needed, probably should have been addressed a while ago, excited to see the results.
  2. Hot Spot encircle: Is this really going to be effective with a 5 meter diameter? Shouldn't it be a 50 meter diameter??
  3. Added switch position for RTH from transmitter: Nice feature
  4. Single Waypoint is now free: Nice additional value to the product even though you need to invest $$$.
  5. Added PPM provides low cost solution. Less wirings similar to S-bus: Nice feature, I run S-bus, so it doesn't excite me though.
  6. Gimbal servo frequency:400hz,200hz,100hz and 50hz: For this feature, correct me if I'm wrong, but the current output is 100hz, so if we go up to 400hz our gimbal servos will refresh 4 times faster, so our gimbals will be 4 times smoother? If this is the case, bring on the update! I'm running Savox 1258tg's on a direct drive, so I'm hopeful this will smooth the video even more. Will it??
  7. Gimbal output endpoint allows 90°Tilt and Roll swing: This is GREAT! Much needed, probably should have been included a while ago, but very happy to see this.

ChrisViperM

I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty excited about the new update, I just wish they would hurry up and release it already :) I'm happy to see the company I chose for my FC is adding more value to the product with features/fixes beyond what I originally paid for. I do have a couple comments/ questions though:

1. Enhanced algorithm in dealing with variable wind speed: This is GREAT! Much needed, probably should have been addressed a while ago, excited to see the results.
  2. Hot Spot encircle: Is this really going to be effective with a 5 meter diameter? Shouldn't it be a 50 meter diameter??
  4. Single Waypoint is now free: Nice additional value to the product even though you need to invest $$$.
  5. Added PPM provides low cost solution. Less wirings similar to S-bus: Nice feature, I run S-bus, so it doesn't excite me though.
  6. Gimbal servo frequency:400hz,200hz,100hz and 50hz: For this feature, correct me if I'm wrong, but the current output is 100hz, so if we go up to 400hz our gimbal servos will refresh 4 times faster, so our gimbals will be 4 times smoother? If this is the case, bring on the update! I'm running Savox 1258tg's on a direct drive, so I'm hopeful this will smooth the video even more. Will it??
  7. Gimbal output endpoint allows 90°Tilt and Roll swing: This is GREAT! Much needed, probably should have been included a while ago, but very happy to see this.

.....undercover DJI sales agent ????????????

Dewster

I'm excited about this update too. Especially the Return to Home feature and Orbit point of interest. Yes this will add much more value to this flight system. I'm still not sure what's going to happen with the enhance flight algorithm in wind. That will be interesting to see.

sim_io

Well right now dji needs to release features in form of updates for the wookong so the naza+gps doesn't cannibalize its sales and make the wkm owners feel left out.

janoots2

.....undercover DJI sales agent ????????????

Negative. Why would I have questions on my own product if I worked for DJI? Any why would I be flying gear other than DJI? Trust me, I'd have a Zenmuse over a direct drive gimbal. Just someone who sees the glass half full AND half empty. Not one or the other. Sorry to dissapoint you...

Do you have comments on the questions I posed?

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveM

I noticed earlier that they had been uploading a few videos with the new firmware.

Hopefully that means its release may be soon :)

jes1111

1. Gimbal servo frequency:400hz,200hz,100hz and 50hz: For this feature, correct me if I'm wrong, but the current output is 100hz, so if we go up to 400hz our gimbal servos will refresh 4 times faster, so our gimbals will be 4 times smoother? If this is the case, bring on the update! I'm running Savox 1258tg's on a direct drive, so I'm hopeful this will smooth the video even more. Will it??
This doesn't make any sense to me. Analogue servos should never be driven with any frequency except 50Hz - period! Digital servos will always accept 333Hz, but not 400Hz. I doubt it would damage them (like analogue over 50Hz) but it may well confuse them. So why 50>100>200>400Hz? Seems like an easy way out to me - just doubling must have been simpler than programming it properly to generate 333Hz.

Four times the command rate won't make it four times smoother, but it will make it more "responsive". Since the servo is always going to be "behind the game" (computational time, transmission time, servo reaction time) then a higher update rate will make it less behind the game, if you see what I mean. So definitely an improvement, but still not ideal. One of the advantages of the Zenmuse system is the use of high speed serial signalling instead of PWM.

Wow on video 1 they power the esc first and then connect the ppm rx. Thoughtful programing :p

The nervousness and wobble are still there on video 2 even in slight breezy conditions.

All my anticipation for DJI's new firmware has vanished in a puff of smoke. DJI is just milking a cow dry.

ChrisViperM

Negative. Why would I have questions on my own product if I worked for DJI? Any why would I be flying gear other than DJI? Trust me, I'd have a Zenmuse over a direct drive gimbal. Just someone who sees the glass half full AND half empty. Not one or the other. Sorry to dissapoint you...

Do you have comments on the questions I posed?

I was just rising a question....I have seen it so many times that a company which has screwed up big time, and which sales are directly relatet to the "mood" in various forums, have employed people - or used some of their own employees - to correct the mood in a more salesfriendly direction by posting in those forums things like: oh...what a great product...I am so happy with it.....

If you are happy with everything...cool
If you say you are not related to any company...also cool

Dewster

I think the update to the firmware is coming soon. I checked DJI's web site and their support section for downloads is down. Can anyone verify? I rebuilt my drone from my crashed Hexa (I now have a quad lol). I tired to change settings but my software won't connect to DJI's server.

Do you need to connect in order to make changes to your system?

janoots2

I think the update to the firmware is coming soon. I checked DJI's web site and their support section for downloads is down. Can anyone verify? I rebuilt my drone from my crashed Hexa (I now have a quad lol). I tired to change settings but my software won't connect to DJI's server.

Do you need to connect in order to make changes to your system?

Looks like you're right, it's grayed out and you can't click on it. Maybe they're uploading the new firmware :)

You don't need to connect to make changes to your system, I do it off my laptop at the field without a wifi connection all the time.

Dewster

Looks like you're right, it's grayed out and you can't click on it. Maybe they're uploading the new firmware :)

You don't need to connect to make changes to your system, I do it off my laptop at the field without a wifi connection all the time.

Thanks! I found out that one of my USB ports is out on my old Windows XP laptop. I've been trying for hours and finally moved the cable to another port. lol.

I'm looking forward to the update since my Hexa crashed and I was able to assemble a quad from the free F450 frame and the remaining good motors/esc. This will be my test platform until I get another Hexa. It flew so well until an expensive prop broke mid flight.....(sigh).... lol.

DaveM

There was another couple of videos for the new firmware uploaded earlier

Point of Interest
Alti Go Home

The second one has since been deleted

plingboot

that looks good, but the question will be, will it work with single waypoint or is multiwaypoint required…

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I asked the question a couple weeks ago in Rcgroups and sidney replied POI works without the ground station. Just by flicking a switch on the Radio to mark the area of interest and than to trigger the routine. I have seen this with other FCs Armokoper for example.

Boris

Dewster

I asked the question a couple weeks ago in Rcgroups and sidney replied POI works without the ground station. Just by flicking a switch on the Radio to mark the area of interest and than to trigger the routine. I have seen this with other FCs Armokoper for example.

Boris

Thank you for answering a question that I was about to post. :)

jes1111

Boris
It does a 5 metre circle around the POI, right? Fixed at 5m? So do you have to judge that you're 2.5m from the POI before flicking the switch?