DJI WKM Firmware 5.12 Update

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
@mods:

Might it be an idea to start a survey/vote?

Problems with octo
Problems with Hexa
Problems with quattro
no problems with octo
no problems with hexa
no problems with quattro
do not use 5.12

would be the best chance to get the full picture

Frank

Hi Frank.. not sure how to do initiate this.

My contribution

Y6 HL and STD - excellent - Prior to this was good but it is definitely better.
f450 quad - BAD - previously good. For a basic quad 5.02 was the best so far. Just wanted the intelligent go home. Ill live with out it and down grade.

MaNDoWn

Registered MR Crasher
Iceman - Yes, as a matter of fact I did bench test my octo without props. If you read the entire thread
you'll also see I test flew it low to the ground the prior evening. When I test flew it I had a "dummy" load on it.
The next day is when all hell broke loose!

Just because we didn't post it doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Don't you bench test everything before putting it in the air?
Don't you think we would be doing the same thing?

The guys I see having aircraft dropping from the sky (including myself) aren't rookie pilots
and have a great deal of time as well as money invested in our aircraft.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've got 10 flights on my octo-I with no sign of problems. Looks like new or old wkm doesn't matter. Some people's who where flying fine before crashed on 5.12. What kind of ex you guys using. Also, intelli cut off?

hmmm. this could be a possible root cause.

Full throttle of M7 and M8 could lead into a tilt of more than 70* which will make the MCU to switch off motors in "Intelligent cut-off"

@crashpilots: which cut-off mode have you used?

Frank

HEX junky

Admin.....sorry, just a quick question...why have you deleted part of my post AND not the post that caused the comments in the first place?? I don't like been accused of being somebody I'm not, so why shouldn't I tell the person what I think? Please delete the other post concerned and all will be good. There's certain individuals on here trying to show what they don't know! Sorry..but had to say this.

DennyR

The DJI engineers were very interested in the type of cut-off I was using also the height. both failures happened at the same height, just as I started to ease back on the throttle.
Once it stopped on the way down I opened throttle instantly when nothing responded I went to normal restart sequence but also nothing happened. Battery was normal discharge for two mins. of flight.

The DJI engineers were very interested in the type of cut-off I was using also the height.

That would not cause twitches on the bench though. Maybe cause a crash while in flight but they better keep researching for the twitch issue cause that's not it :)

They did change some code regarding altitude ceiling in the new RTH feature. Maybe the combination of inteli-cut off and flying above set height level causes the shutdown. No bugs on 5.02.

I did not have any twitches. It was flying perfectly.

Oh. My mistake. I have been reading so many different threads about this they are starting to blend together. So yours never did the motor twitch on the bench. What mode where you in while yours crashed?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
hmmm. this could be a possible root cause.

Full throttle of M7 and M8 could lead into a tilt of more than 70* which will make the MCU to switch off motors in "Intelligent cut-off"

@crashpilots: which cut-off mode have you used?

Frank

I have had mine well over 70º and the motors kept running..

Denny what RTH feature did you have set up?

apeman88

This morning I tested my WKM on a CX4 (Quad) on 5.12. POI worked good once I understood how it works.... 1st flight took me a few tries to set POI target as I was switching between off and POI too slowly. Once I learned you need to switch it fast... it worked. But when my bird was switched to autonomous (failsafe), it wobbled a lot! Nearly wet my pants especially on the first flight when I lost control! Was on 5.08 with about a dozen flights and it was perfect. The gains and settings are the same from 5.08 to 5.12. Anyone got any idea where the wobble is coming from? Is it 5.12 or can it be my gains or settings? I did notice it wobbled a little once right before I went failsafe on the 2nd flight as well and overall... the bird seems to be less stable at 5.12 then 5.08.

1st Flight
I forgot to keep an eye on time so I think it went into failsafe by itself right after I switched to failsafe so I could not turn it off and lost stick control of the bird. Was ready to take over on Alti or Manual mode but the wobble went away and decided to let it land by itself. the wobble starts at about 5:55 (during Ascend of fail safe) and again at 6:12 (during 180 turn toward home in failsafe mode). Auto land was perfect.

2nd Flight
After about 30mins rest... decided to try it again. The POI worked great but once I put it in failsafe to come home and land... it wobbled again a few times during flight home. The wobble starts at 2:35 (during ascend of failsafe) and 2:55 (during straight flight toward home in failsafe). Auto land was perfect again.

Ken

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks for showing that Ken. Are you using the new X3 return to home there. I can't watch the vids coz I am on mobile broadband.

If so does RTH work better if you just turn off your TX?

Did you do a default reset on your gains?

Dave

Ken,
I have had the same behavior of my Hexa going from 5.06 to 5.10.
I've also experienced vertical instability, almost an oscillation, as well as a slight drift to the left in GPS Atti mode.

I took the same gain values as before. So no re-configuration of gains.
According to some other colleagues, this might be the main issue here.

As I have grounded mine after all uncertainties with 5.10/5.12, I will go back to 5.08. Then doing all the gain setup again.

When weather becomes better here (2 or three more days to go), I will do the work.

Frank

apeman88

No... I am not using X3 return to home. Had failsafe programmed in 5.08 so left it alone since I'm out of channels on the WKM already (JR 9303 mix to a switch to move U channel to failsafe). I have not tried turning off the radio during flight yet... need to build up my confidence and grow a new set of balls first! :) I did not redo the gains since it kept the old gains setting. I'll try re-entering the gains and write in the morning as I'm reading this might be necessary. Thanks!!

So it sounds like I may have to redo all gain (not just re-input and write). I'll play with gains again if just re-input does not work. At the same time... I feel like I should ground my bird until a more stable firmware is available or go back to 5.08. The POI is really cool! Hate to loose it!

Thanks guys!

Ken

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
@ Ken. You must hit default then write so everything is at factory settings. I do this before I install the new firmware. Iinstall the new firmware then retune the gains.

Dave