Photohigher skyline rsgs

Good stuff!
Looking forward to getting this pan stabilisation airborne.

Thanks

Matt

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the lack of updates. Here's some more info on where I'm at.

I have got some pan stabilisation working, there is very little drift will complete a full rotation in about 20 minutes. the Savox SC-0252 seems to move a bit fast when it first starts moving even when controlled by a transmitter which may be a challenge.

I've put all the gains in the software interface (including the integral gain so it's possible to do the complete PID tuning manually) and the fine tuning for the centering is back.

I've added a bessel filter instead of relying on the filtering on the gyro chip.

I'm embedding the firmware file into the software so that the firmware always matches the correct software.

I'll try to get a test version of this out soon.

honest john

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the lack of updates. Here's some more info on where I'm at.

I have got some pan stabilisation working, there is very little drift will complete a full rotation in about 20 minutes. the Savox SC-0252 seems to move a bit fast when it first starts moving even when controlled by a transmitter which may be a challenge.
Here's a clip of Kim playing with it :

I've put all the gains in the software interface (including the integral gain so it's possible to do the complete PID tuning manually) and the fine tuning for the centering is back.

I've added a bessel filter instead of relying on the filtering on the gyro chip.

I'm embedding the firmware file into the software so that the firmware always matches the correct software.

I'll try to get a test version of this out soon.

In other words: another minefield is just about to be opened to the public - enter at your own risk. Frankly, I don't think most users care about pan very much at the moment, as long as the jitter, roll, power supply and wiring mess issues have not been solved to a professional standard, where the unit can be used with confidence and without rebuilding the hardware around it.
The video is not really conclusive, since the source of movement is not stationary, rendering the laser pointer a meaningless gimmick.
Only if the gimbal was fixated in a rig that does the gyrations, this test would show if the skyline is holding a "rock solid" position.
This appears to be just a diversion resulting in even more wasted man-hours, which must by now be in the high hundreds amongst the army of involuntary beta-testers.
And who really cares, or even knows, what a bessel filter does? A "better", or "really good and rock solid" filter would go a long way in keeping people happy!
The mind boggles!

Last edited by a moderator:

gadget

This is ridiculous.
I´ve spent so many hours trying to get mine to work properly but i´ve lost my hope
and i´m sending it back today.
Releasing a product like this with all these issues is a joke.
There can be bugs with a product, i´m aware of that but the Skyline is not close to a finished product.
PH probably know this and forcing all these buyers to come up with alternative solutions that might (if you´re lucky)
get it to work is a shame.
My demands on how a stabilization is supposed to work is far higher than i think this unit will produce in the near future.

Good luck to all of you!

Blacksails

All of you guys getting the jitter, are you only getting it when the gimbal is on the deck or are you getting it in flight also? I have jitter (slow slight rolling from left to right) when the gimbal is on the ground but I don't notice this at all when watching back flight footage, it all seems stable.

DennyR

In other words: another minefield is just about to be opened to the public - enter at your own risk. Frankly, I don't think most users care about pan very much at the moment, as long as the jitter, roll, power supply and wiring mess issues have not been solved to a professional standard, where the unit can be used with confidence and without rebuilding the hardware around it.
The video is not really conclusive, since the source of movement is not stationary, rendering the laser pointer a meaningless gimmick.
Only if the gimbal was fixated in a rig that does the gyrations, this test would show if the skyline is holding a "rock solid" position.
This appears to be just a diversion resulting in even more wasted man-hours, which must by now be in the high hundreds amongst the army of involuntary beta-testers.
And who really cares, or even knows, what a bessel filter does? A "better", or "really good and rock solid" filter would go a long way in keeping people happy!
The mind boggles!

Right on. They can't walk yet and here they are trying to run. They should throw the towel in and give us back our money. Before the Lawyers get stuck in. If it gets that far I wont be taking any prisoners....

They have had a reasonable amount of time to rectify the problem and they have failed to do anything that is acceptable. How does a group claim with consequence losses sound.

Brendon has made a report few days ago where he says the problem is identified.
Photohigher also told that they have requested the help of an electronic specialized company to help them solving this issue.

In this kind of process some decision must be made but also evaluated and it takes some times.
A daily report would be productive as decision can change from one day to another to find the best answer to the problem.
Perhaps a weekly report would be a good idea ?

Bendon and Kim are here showing that they also work on the feature of the skyline as requested by users right here on this board. (3rd axis stab).
They take care of all the requests.

Cédric

nicwilke

Right on. They can't walk yet and here they are trying to run. They should throw the towel in and give us back our money. Before the Lawyers get stuck in. If it gets that far I wont be taking any prisoners....

They have had a reasonable amount of time to rectify the problem and they have failed to do anything that is acceptable. How does a group claim with consequence losses sound.

There's probably more people having reasonable results with the RSGS than there are having issues with it. This forum, and RCGround only represent the tiny amount of users that talk about this product. I'd hang in there everyone, as I'm sure we will see the RSGS succeed. Yes, some anomalies are present, but they are being addressed with FW dev. I have 2 friend who also have the RSGS. One has the same result as me, it just works. The other isn't so lucky but I suspect it's his vibrations from his props.
Just imagine when you smack down a grand on the Radian and see it too won't magically turn your gimbals into a ZenMuse. I am not worried my $300 was wasted as I've got a pretty nice stabilizer for 3 axis.

:)

Thomb

hello,

ive got a quick question, in the manual it says i need to disconnect the potentiometers, but do i need to remove them too? (av130)

Thanks

hdj912

There's probably more people having reasonable results with the RSGS than there are having issues with it.

I don't think its exactly that way. Most of the people who buy it don't have professional meanings with it and just find it fun to fly with a camera and will probably not notice the problems. The ones who do need pro shots for business purposes will see that it is not nearly as steady as it should be for an acceptable shot. They are the ones who are found on the forums to see what can be done about it.

Just what i think, maybe i am totally wrong.

Most of the people who buy it don't have professional meanings with it and just find it fun to fly with a camera and will probably not notice the problems.
I am happy with the results I am getting now, and I enjoy tinkering. I am a hobbyist after all.
I am sure PH will come up with a solution to the power supply problem which causes jitter shortly. I dont think bad-mouthing them is at all helpful. I am part of their target market, the hobbyist, and I am grateful that they are bringing a solution to us that places the gimbal stabiliser where it belongs, on the camera tray, for an affordable price.
If I were a professional as some on this forum claim to be, I guess I would get myself a cherry picker with a long boom and a professional gimbal mounted at the end, yes and maybe a couple of ganged Red Epics and a production van and maybe even a canvas chair with my name on the back!
In the meantime here is a video showing how to make the 3Y loom that I use and the results it gets along with some experiments to stabilise the pan axis.

Macsgrafs

Nice video Chris...I'm scrathing my head as to what that yellow aircraft is? Similar to a cap but I could be wrong & I notice you're a canon guy (lens boxes) ;)

Ross

Hi Ross. It is a 33% Yak 55 from OMP. 80cc Evo powered. Behind it is a third scale cub, also yellow!
Those lenses I mainly use on my 5D II, on the 550 you see I use a 28mm prime for flying.
Chris

Great!
Can't wait to try it. Will we have back also the reverse servo tickbox?
Thanks for the update!

@Chris, really convincing video! Thanks for sharing your setup
C

I would like to thank 1001 copters and PH for the refund I received for Skyline, they stood behind their product and this was the right way and action to refund the money for non operational product ( at th moment ).
I am really delighted with the service of 1001 copter and I will continue to use it in the future !
So I am out of this story and I am glad, really glad that I do not have to play with the settings, H loom a few power sources etc.

I would like to thank 1001 copters and PH for the refund I received for Skyline, they stood behind their product and this was the right way and action to refund the money for non operational product ( at th moment ).
I am really delighted with the service of 1001 copter and I will continue to use it in the future !
So I am out of this story and I am glad, really glad that I do not have to play with the settings, H loom a few power sources etc.

I wish that we are all so fortunate but most of us just got ripped off and have been turned down when we requested a refund form our dealer or never replied to when we contacted Photohigher directly. This speaks highly for Cedric but that is no surprise. Cedric is a Prince and I think we would all agree.
Do you hear that Cedric? We love you, pal.

Thank you guys for these support messages :)
This EXACTLY this kind of message that encourage me to have this beahvior with my customers.
Before I opened my webshop I was (in fact, I'm still!) a customer and now I try to have the behavior I was expecting other webshop to have.

You know the famous: "don't wait for the world to change, change yourself before" here it is :D

Thank you for the messages, it's a little sunshine for me ;)

Chris: Before I order up let another BEC I just wanted to check with you to see if you still feel that the three separate power supplies are entirely necessary for best performance from the Skyline. I find that the resistance from washers and rotary damper help quite a bit but I still cannot dream of getting gains up to 500 and higher as some have claimed. If you still feel that three power supplies are necessary for this purpose I will give it a try. Thank for your help... again :)