Want to attract talented people with advanced concepts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaysmith

TIME TO TAKE THINGS TO THE NEXT LEVEL
In response to the replies to my post about what kind of forum is this...

It was exactly what I was looking for, and was hoping not to see.
I stated a FACT, that the response I was getting was with one exception only replies from moderators, which I have seen before. And as I stated, I have found that the very few forums I have checked out have had three things in common:
#1: Little to no favorable response to the sample posts I made.
#2: Most of what I see in the forum is petty self interest - people come to a forum because they have a problem, and for the most part are only there to get what they want, and show little interest in supporting something not directly in thier perceived immediate self interest.
#3: When I express doubt based on the previous two points, THAT is when I get immediate response, and entirely in the negative, over-reacting, extremely non-constructive, and even insulting, with made-up offenses like "I'm being condescending".
I did not come here to talk on the level of things everybody knows, wants, likes, etc. I came looking for a place that would be good for discussion about truly advanced (non military) concepts.

If anyone here thinks I am going to recommend a forum to my friends that reacts to the slightest disagreement with hostility, false accusations, insults and closing down a thread, they are very much mistaken.

Some people think that anyone speaking or writing with words more than 2 sylables is "Condescending";
- and what reaction would follow the potential post of one of my friends who is a former NASA engineer then? Or my friend or is a DuPont Engineer? or people who have already made serious and advanced developments with multirotors, and others who would not just seriously regret wasting thier time on a forum they would only regret expressing high-minded concepts.

That is why my friends wanted ME to waste MY time to check out forums to see how they would react to people with serious and advanced ideas, designs, or proposals.
The two people I have shown this reaction to naturally were repelled, and think I am wasting thier time with the idea of joining such a forum, as opposed to anything else - as even Youtube has so far demonstrated more potential than this.

- And what does anyone gain by reacting like I just saw? Does it stroke thier egos? Does it result in anything practical? No. Especially when what is shown, whether it is the knee-jerk hostile reaction response to my concern, or the knee-jecrk reaction of immediatley closing down the thread.
If the reaction of both the membership and the moderators to even a small disagreement is to act overly-sensitive and eagar to be offended, and to react with passive-agressive hostility, then so far, this forum fails. If you want to attract greater talent and contribution, this is not the way to say the least, ot actually repells people of great talent. Judging by the response I just saw, I see no reason to expect anytihng better. - Care to prove me wrong?

Concerning the inevitable replies to this post:
Yeah, I can't spell or text worth a damn, and I'm pretty sure I would not be able to discuss advanced concepts without someone getting upset and claiming that I am "Condescending". I'm more intreseted in focusing my time and effort on bigger issues.

tstrike

pendejo grande
I for one would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see you guys crash drones into trees and through ponds. It would bring excitement back to the hobby.
But all the other stuff you bothered to share with everyone, meh.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
In response to the replies to my post about what kind of forum is this...

It was exactly what I was looking for, and was hoping not to see.
I stated a FACT, that the response I was getting was with one exception only replies from moderators, which I have seen before. And as I stated, I have found that the very few forums I have checked out have had three things in common:
#1: Little to no favorable response to the sample posts I made.
#2: Most of what I see in the forum is petty self interest - people come to a forum because they have a problem, and for the most part are only there to get what they want, and show little interest in supporting something not directly in thier perceived immediate self interest.
#3: When I express doubt based on the previous two points, THAT is when I get immediate response, and entirely in the negative, over-reacting, extremely non-constructive, and even insulting, with made-up offenses like "I'm being condescending".
I did not come here to talk on the level of things everybody knows, wants, likes, etc. I came looking for a place that would be good for discussion about truly advanced (non military) concepts.

If anyone here thinks I am going to recommend a forum to my friends that reacts to the slightest disagreement with hostility, false accusations, insults and closing down a thread, they are very much mistaken.

Some people think that anyone speaking or writing with words more than 2 sylables is "Condescending";
- and what reaction would follow the potential post of one of my friends who is a former NASA engineer then? Or my friend or is a DuPont Engineer? or people who have already made serious and advanced developments with multirotors, and others who would not just seriously regret wasting thier time on a forum they would only regret expressing high-minded concepts.

That is why my friends wanted ME to waste MY time to check out forums to see how they would react to people with serious and advanced ideas, designs, or proposals.
The two people I have shown this reaction to naturally were repelled, and think I am wasting thier time with the idea of joining such a forum, as opposed to anything else - as even Youtube has so far demonstrated more potential than this.

- And what does anyone gain by reacting like I just saw? Does it stroke thier egos? Does it result in anything practical? No. Especially when what is shown, whether it is the knee-jerk hostile reaction response to my concern, or the knee-jecrk reaction of immediatley closing down the thread.
If the reaction of both the membership and the moderators to even a small disagreement is to act overly-sensitive and eagar to be offended, and to react with passive-agressive hostility, then so far, this forum fails. If you want to attract greater talent and contribution, this is not the way to say the least, ot actually repells people of great talent. Judging by the response I just saw, I see no reason to expect anytihng better. - Care to prove me wrong?

Concerning the inevitable replies to this post:
Yeah, I can't spell or text worth a damn, and I'm pretty sure I would not be able to discuss advanced concepts without someone getting upset and claiming that I am "Condescending". I'm more intreseted in focusing my time and effort on bigger issues.

hey Jay,

please post a link to one thing you've actually accomplished.

let's start there.
bart

Dude, you are really intense. You'll find this is a fantastic community if you don't come out the gate making demands with a borderline hostile tone. Just say hi, ask questions, be patient. There are a LOT of pros here willing to help and eager to explore new ideas.

janoots2

I ONLY post on this forum for my ego. Ever since I started posting, my ego has actually increased so much it has migrated into self confidence. My self confidence is now so high, I am pulling in millions because I am out closing deals left and right. My hair is even growing back! And to think, it all started with me posting on this forum. Now that you have wasted your time with another post at this silly place, I can only hope your ego becomes as successful as mine.

Also, your idea is already in motion with Aerial GP's DJI Games...

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Jay....buddy. Not sure where to start.

I'll assume you understand that moderators are reading more individual posts than any single member does. Just the nature of forums. So it's a numbers game, and likely why you noticed mostly moderators replying.

Seemed to me that Bart and I both welcomed and invited you into the forum with open arms (at least that was my intention, if it was unclear) - despite the fact that you opened your initial thread with what amounted to a preconceived displeasure with MRF, due to previous bad experiences on other forums. It seemed you had a bit of a chip on your shoulder - which I can assure you will limit the number of people who will even give your ideas the consideration they deserve.

My take on your post was that you wanted US to prove to YOU that we were worthy of your ideas. But with your proposed specific goals, it really seems that it would be WE who decide if your plans make sense for US. And apparently they didn't. If that leaves you feeling that this forum has nothing else to offer you, I'm sorry. I feel there are plenty of positive aspects here for nearly anyone interested in any facet of the multirotor hobby.

But that's just the way tastes work. Some people may love your idea, some won't. Getting peeved at those who don't is a little silly. And honestly, it just seems like you and your engineer friends might need to create a venue where you can attract those who share your tastes and goals, rather than being disgruntled by the fact that many may not share your aspirations. That way you can set the tone, moderate the content and ensure that it meets your standards.

Bartman

@jaysmith

normally we enjoy the company of people interested in engaging in constructive conversations about multi-rotor helicopters...everyone has something to learn and we all benefit from the discussions that occur here each day.

you're not falling into that mellow groove that we encourage and your presence here is disruptive.

please, in your next post, link us to something you've actually accomplished. prove to us you aren't just a sixteen year old that won the local science fair one too many times and has a chip on his shoulder. link us to something you've actually done in your next post or i'm going to have to ban you permanently.

thanks
bart

Y0urDaddy

To the original post...

I am fairly new to multi-rotors, about 2 years or so involved. I have found this forum to be helpful and the people here have been friendly.

Intentions don't always come through well in text, so I may write something intending to be helpful that comes across as condescending when read by someone else.

Also, I see the original post talk about advanced concepts, but I don't think I see one expressed in it.

Thanks...

Stratifier

@jaysmith

normally we enjoy the company of people interested in engaging in constructive conversations about multi-rotor helicopters...everyone has something to learn and we all benefit from the discussions that occur here each day.

you're not falling into that mellow groove that we encourage and your presence here is disruptive.

please, in your next post, link us to something you've actually accomplished. prove to us you aren't just a sixteen year old that won the local science fair one too many times and has a chip on his shoulder. link us to something you've actually done in your next post or i'm going to have to ban you permanently.

thanks
bart
Please Bart don't ban him... :)

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
>>>>>>>>>>edited our the first two sentences>>>>>>>>>>Ultimately if someone gets on a forum and instantly starts criticizing the mechanics of the forum itself without having asked one legitimate question pertaining to the content the forum is covering tells me there is something very wrong with this person in their personal life.

Bart, maybe you should send him directly to Denny for tech support. doh!

And Jay, if you are still around, this forum is 99.9% REAL people that have done nothing but be helpful in times of need. The other .1% are people like you and spammers that are nothing but an anchor to otherwise fluid infrastructure of this forum. On a personal note, you will not get far in life with this approach. You can say what you want hidden behind your keyboard but you will eventually learn the hard way that no one responds well to this type of introduction. It's destined to be a lonely life if you continue this way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

I've actually banned two people in four and a half years and one is back with a different name (which happens to be his real name) but I haven't bothered to say anything. So Mr. Jay Smith (hopefully not the Model Aviation editor) would be the third or maybe the second depending on how you calculate such things.

Old Man

Advanced concept conversations, I mean really advanced concept, are usually found in closed forums created and dedicated to engineering and aero professionals that don't stray much outside of their usual professional circles. Sort of like scientists. They're out there and communicating, just not with the general riff-raff like us. Too much risk in revealing intellectual property looking to be sold later. OTH, some of the worst I.P. thieves I've ever encountered are engineers and scientists...

So Jay, just what is it you want to share or talk about? Do you need help with something or in it to be disruptive? I know a few engineers and scientists to and some of them actually post in forums like this to help people out. Yes, they run into the usual counter attitudes and responses but that's kind of the way the world really works. People really do not agree on everything all the time. Discourse with a little debate or disagreement can often be stimulating. The corporate cubical mentality and ego massaging needs to stay in the corporate environment. Come on out and let your hair down. Bring a friend to three and look at the world using pure sunshine instead of florescent tubes.

So show us what ya got or what you can do. If nothing, then we've neither gained nor lost anything but a few key strokes.

Old Man

Hey now. I've been banned twice from the same place. Lifetime bans both times. Not here, but Sleepy knows where;) Funny thing, I didn't lose anything when or after they happened.

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
I keep seeing the term "advanced concepts", but I have yet to see any details except waterfalls and fans from Harbor Freight...

I don't think I've been permanently banned from a forum but I'm pretty diplomatic :D

Status
Not open for further replies.