Want to attract talented people with advanced concepts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaysmith

TIME TO TAKE THINGS TO THE NEXT LEVEL
I for one would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see you guys crash drones into trees and through ponds. It would bring excitement back to the hobby.
But all the other stuff you bothered to share with everyone, meh.
Well at least that has SOME positive input, lol.

jaysmith

hey Jay,

please post a link to one thing you've actually accomplished.

let's start there.
bart
Is that supposed to be sarcasm?, or something even more inteneded to insult... I dare not speculate.
I could post a great deal about such, but that would likely not affect such supposition, and would only result in more critiscism, claims of condescension, etc. It sounds more like an invitation to a peeing contest. (Proper word/spelling ommitted fo the overly sensitive and easily offended). What matters (or what SHOULD matter) is the value of the subject matter istelf, which has so far not seemed to be much of a priority.

jaysmith

To the original post...

I am fairly new to multi-rotors, about 2 years or so involved. I have found this forum to be helpful and the people here have been friendly.

Intentions don't always come through well in text, so I may write something intending to be helpful that comes across as condescending when read by someone else.

Also, I see the original post talk about advanced concepts, but I don't think I see one expressed in it.

Thanks...

That is a reply I can respect. You do seem rather unnessesarily critical, but I understand. Well worded. If you were not able to read about my intent, I came here to test this forum for its suitability for a small group of friends who are very interested in promoting advanced concepts and designs, but who have been concerned about the downfalls of Forums when I suggested use of same.
One major concern is that if somone has a truely advanced design, just posting/publishing it without checking out the potential realities of doing so, and which could invite some other person or entity to exploit the design soley for thier own profit, at the expense of the designer.
Therefore, the last thing I, or any of my friends want to do is spill out our best work and regret doing so.

jaysmith

I keep seeing the term "advanced concepts", but I have yet to see any details except waterfalls and fans from Harbor Freight...

I don't think I've been permanently banned from a forum but I'm pretty diplomatic :D

I presume you are speaking veru much in general, as opposed to me, specifically. If so, I would agree with you.

jaysmith

No way this guy gets laid. Not for free anyway. Lol.
Aside from the obvious singular intent of merely making a direct, personal insult, this reflects a complete and total ignorance, being that you know absolutely nothing about my social life whatsoever.
Beyond that, life a personal intimacy should be ablout a lot more than "getting laid", and as such, you have just demonstrated both a lack of character regarding the opposite sex, really messed-up priorities, and maybe all you can manage ot do is "get laid" or get some girl pregnant, and likely leaving her after using her, or leaving her with a likely STD. Learn what life is really about and do yourself and everyone around you a favor and grow up.
- And to think I got criticised about how I post ?!??

internet-24591.jpg

jaysmith

Dude, you are really intense. You'll find this is a fantastic community if you don't come out the gate making demands with a borderline hostile tone. Just say hi, ask questions, be patient. There are a LOT of pros here willing to help and eager to explore new ideas.

Another decent reply.
I can apologise if I seemed hostile, or "Making demands", but one one hand, I think that when I assert something as being imminently important, that is not being "demanding". I have only expressed posssible "Hostility" if hostility was first shown me, otherwise such hostility was likely a misunderstanding of my intent.
However, I am not going to be preoccupied with every potential imagined offense that someone might have.
If someone doubts my intent or attitude, all they would have to do is ask me to clarify or explain; in fact, that pretty much is what a reasonable person should do anyway.

jaysmith

Not only in tents but a realy bad speler.
I have, for the record, stated that I am bad at spewlling and texting. I can in fact spell, but I am quite busy going in 5 different directions at once, and am more concerned with a whole list of much more imnportant things, so I guess I can just ask that my imperfection be forgiven by anyone expecting perfection.

jaysmith

Jay....buddy. Not sure where to start.

I'll assume you understand that moderators are reading more individual posts than any single member does. Just the nature of forums. So it's a numbers game, and likely why you noticed mostly moderators replying.

Seemed to me that Bart and I both welcomed and invited you into the forum with open arms (at least that was my intention, if it was unclear) - despite the fact that you opened your initial thread with what amounted to a preconceived displeasure with MRF, due to previous bad experiences on other forums. It seemed you had a bit of a chip on your shoulder - which I can assure you will limit the number of people who will even give your ideas the consideration they deserve.

My take on your post was that you wanted US to prove to YOU that we were worthy of your ideas. But with your proposed specific goals, it really seems that it would be WE who decide if your plans make sense for US. And apparently they didn't. If that leaves you feeling that this forum has nothing else to offer you, I'm sorry. I feel there are plenty of positive aspects here for nearly anyone interested in any facet of the multirotor hobby.

But that's just the way tastes work. Some people may love your idea, some won't. Getting peeved at those who don't is a little silly. And honestly, it just seems like you and your engineer friends might need to create a venue where you can attract those who share your tastes and goals, rather than being disgruntled by the fact that many may not share your aspirations. That way you can set the tone, moderate the content and ensure that it meets your standards.

I can try to see your point here.
I would suggest that you are just a little inaccurate in your presumtions about me.
I did not expect this forum to prove anything to me, I can what what is what for myself.

However, to be honest, it was about proving if this forum was worthy for my friends, and maybe that means that I have something to prove to them in suggesting using "A" forum at all, more than this forum, or anyone in it proving anything to me. - By the way, any forum has to prove worthiness to everyone coming to it, otherwise, if a forum has no such concern, there is very little reason for anyone to participate. People do not have a necessity to join a forum, they do so because it is useful or amusing. If a forum was neither, it would probably not get far.

Jay,

I represent a small group of people who want to have reasonable friendly discourse while helping each other learn and grow as professionals. You look at first site like a pretty cool guy, but that's what I thought of the last people I met.
I cannot afford to waste my time, so I need to know what kind of person you are from the start.
If you are one of those snobs who thinks everyone else is an idiot - not interested.
If you are one of those lame people who is not interested in showing respect or humility, or where they automatically accuse a forum of being lame by posting a message EXACTLY like this one as your first post ever, or get instantly defensive when someone has the slightest difference in opinion, or is full of negative energy - not interested.

I will know what kind of person you are by your replies or lack thereof that I get to this post.

jaysmith

@jaysmith

normally we enjoy the company of people interested in engaging in constructive conversations about multi-rotor helicopters...everyone has something to learn and we all benefit from the discussions that occur here each day.

you're not falling into that mellow groove that we encourage and your presence here is disruptive.

please, in your next post, link us to something you've actually accomplished. prove to us you aren't just a sixteen year old that won the local science fair one too many times and has a chip on his shoulder. link us to something you've actually done in your next post or i'm going to have to ban you permanently.

thanks
bart

Ahhh... so this IS some kind of invitation to a peeing contest!
I made ONE post, that reflected disappointment. If I was wrong, all you would have to do is point that out. I see that my point about how the slightest disagreement gets the very worst in results.
I suppose you want me to post a certified image of a degree, or a commercial pilots' license, or maybe things I have designed in the past? - and what would that get me? From what I see it would only result in more criticisms, insults, etc. I made ONE post of doubt and disappointment, and look at all the hostility I received, and yet you want to make me out to be the "Disruptive" one.

Let me be very clear about one thing...
If a 5 year old posted a scribble that showed a revolutionary design, I would love and rerspect it. I would not ask if he had a PHD, or even to prove that it would actually work, or what experience they had, etc. it is the subject matter that matters, not whether my whatever is bigger than yours.

jdennings

If someone doubts my intent or attitude, all they would have to do is ask me to clarify or explain; .

Can you clarify how the following is not condescending?

- "Looks like the moderators are covering for another dead, do-nothing forum full of nothing but people with problems. - We'll see...'"

Or this?

- "Another decent reply."

(as in, well, maybe there's at least one or two half worthy people out there?)

Look, the "no way this guy gets laid" was perhaps a bit harsh and a cheap shot, but it was difficult for me to not think exactly the same ... If you have grand ideas you like to share, great! (And I personally think the one you introduced is not bad at all). But you do need diplomacy, patience (as people may not share your enthusiasm or immediately respond), and you need to understand that there always be some that will not agree. A negative attitude won't get you anywhere ...

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Oh, joy... another direct personal insult, based again on complete ignorance of the subject matter.
Have you ever been to a Bar-B-Que, or any other occasions I have attended? No.
Just a cheap, ignorant insult based on..... well NOTHING.
What I find amusing is how a few people here are doing such a good job of proving one of my points for me.

jay, now that you're back so you have any links to things you've actually accomplished?

jaysmith

Jay,

I represent a small group of people who want to have reasonable friendly discourse while helping each other learn and grow as professionals. You look at first site like a pretty cool guy, but that's what I thought of the last people I met.
I cannot afford to waste my time, so I need to know what kind of person you are from the start.
If you are one of those snobs who thinks everyone else is an idiot - not interested.
If you are one of those lame people who is not interested in showing respect or humility, or where they automatically accuse a forum of being lame by posting a message EXACTLY like this one as your first post ever, or get instantly defensive when someone has the slightest difference in opinion, or is full of negative energy - not interested.

I will know what kind of person you are by your replies or lack thereof that I get to this post.

I actually respect and kind of enjoy the light sarcasm in the wording of your reply. If I posted such, I would get all kinds of grief, but I have no grief to give you.
So as to not waste your time and honestly try to give you what you need, let me try to give you an essense of my concerns...

#1: The level of commonly available technology out there, as in motors, frame designs, etc. has not yet reached the limits of what is already available. Drone can do far more than what any or all of us, myself included have imagined for the most part. I see Model T cars being built when we have all the parts for a Tesla.
#2: I apologise for not being able to supply details, but there are very dire concerns about what can be done with (private/hobby) drones, which I will not even hint at, because I don't want to give certain individuals any ideas, but if.. -no, WHEN what I am deeply concerned with starts to happen, there will be nobody capable of doing anything about it. If we do not start pushing the envelope, there will be no viable defense. I am NOT talking about any military subjects, but even common quadcopters. I can see how you may not get what I am trying to express here, as I cannot go into details for reasons already expressed, but if you want to know my intents and where I am coming from, this paragraph is a genuine attempt to help with that.
#3: There are people out there who do have radical, revolutionary, ground-breaking concepts and designs who often are all but isolated, because if they post/publish what they have or have done, they are inviting some person or entity to exploit what they have posted/published for profit at their expense and regret. Another one of my highest priorities is to try to change that; to encourage them to be able to post, and to protect thier designs as much as possible, or at the very least to give them as much credit and recogniton as possible.
#4: I am quite serious about what I am doing, as well as my friends. I could brag about who they are and what they are doing, or what I have or am doing, but that is not what they or I want. Although drones/multirotors make excellent toys, they are not just toys, beyond the obvious safety concerns. Whether anyone likes it or not, this whole subject matter is about to start getting very serious. If the private/hobby community does not get ahead of the ball, they are going to find themselves behind the 8 ball in some very upsetting ways. Some few out there are doing something real, but they are too few, with too much on thier plate.

I am not condescending, I am not hostile, I am serious, as the situation itself is getting ever more serious.
I make no apologies for that.

Bartman

I suppose you want me to post a certified image of a degree, or a commercial pilots' license, or maybe things I have designed in the past? - and what would that get me? From what I see it would only result in more criticisms, insults, etc. I made ONE post of doubt and disappointment, and look at all the hostility I received, and yet you want to make me out to be the "Disruptive" one.

i've got you classified in the "Troll" category, guessing that you're over the top presentation is not about any ideas or ambitions but about being an intentionally disruptive presence at the site.

it's not hostility, it's the practical application of my experience with you so far. as a site Admin I can either let you continue to draw fire or excuse from our presence for the betterment of everyone.

for all of the pomp you're putting out I'd expect you to have at least a few good ideas that actually panned out that you could direct us to.

jaysmith

Can you clarify how the following is not condescending?

- "Looks like the moderators are covering for another dead, do-nothing forum full of nothing but people with problems. - We'll see...'"

Or this?

- "Another decent reply."

(as in, well, maybe there's at least one or two half worthy people out there?)

Look, the "no way this guy gets laid" was perhaps a bit harsh and a cheap shot, but it was difficult for me to not think exactly the same ... If you have grand ideas you like to share, great! (And I personally think the one you introduced is not bad at all). But you do need diplomacy, patience (as people may not share your enthusiasm or immediately respond), and you need to understand that there always be some that will not agree. A negative attitude won't get you anywhere ...

As for your first point and quote, if you could read my previous posts, here in this very thread, I expressed diappoingtment. I guess I should be burned at the stake for it, right?

As for your second quote, - REALLY? I compliment someone's reply, and you have to twist that into me being a jerk? No. That does not even deserve any further discussion on my part.

jaysmith

OK... Enough.
What do we have here? endless insults, criticisms, and personal attacks. People here cannot handle any controversy or disagreements without getting just plain nasty about it, Even when I try to compliment someone!
I thought I would check back here mostly for amusement, and have already wasted far too much time dealing with this nonsense. The decision was already made. My friends read what was posted before, and what is being posted today, and just seeing thier heads shaking back and forth told me how it was going to be.
I have disappointed my friends, and myself with my suggestion of making use of a forum, especially this one, and we are going to go in a completely different direction now. I am not going to even try to change thier minds.
Have fun with your vicious social politics here.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
#3: There are people out there who do have radical, revolutionary, ground-breaking concepts and designs who often are all but isolated, because if they post/publish what they have or have done, they are inviting some person or entity to exploit what they have posted/published for profit at their expense and regret. Another one of my highest priorities is to try to change that; to encourage them to be able to post, and to protect thier designs as much as possible, or at the very least to give them as much credit and recogniton as possible.

Im having a hard time understanding how the forum has failed you, or would even have a CHANCE to fail you, when you clearly can not discuss or disclose your top secret plans. The only specifics you've mentioned since arriving here is barreling headlong through water and trees. For the record, I do not see the corration between these things and "advanced concepts." I see that as high probability for loss of investment. :)

Are you looking for people to participate (general purpose of a forum) or do you simply want to make veiled mentions of some grand scheme, which is obviously too good to be specific about, yet not good enough to patent?

If you are NOT a troll, you need to take a long hard look at why each and every person who has responded to you has A) not understood what you're looking for and B) you have accused of treating you in some harsh way. Sadly, you are the constant in this equation. While it's not impossible that all of us here are complete tools, there is a simpler explanation that presents itself....

Bartman

OK... Enough.
What do we have here? endless insults, criticisms, and personal attacks. People here cannot handle any controversy or disagreements without getting just plain nasty about it, Even when I try to compliment someone!
I thought I would check back here mostly for amusement, and have already wasted far too much time dealing with this nonsense. The decision was already made. My friends read what was posted before, and what is being posted today, and just seeing thier heads shaking back and forth told me how it was going to be.
I have disappointed my friends, and myself with my suggestion of making use of a forum, especially this one, and we are going to go in a completely different direction now. I am not going to even try to change thier minds.
Have fun with your vicious social politics here.

don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out

Status
Not open for further replies.