What kind of forum is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaysmith

TIME TO TAKE THINGS TO THE NEXT LEVEL
I represent a small group of people who want to push the envelope on design and take things to the next level. This looks at first site like a pretty cool place, but that's what I thought of the last forum I tried.
I cannot afford to waste my time, so I need to know what klind of forum this is from the start.
If this is one of those snob sites/forums populated with licensed full scale aircraft pilots who think everyone else is an idiot - not interested.
If this is one of those lame sites/forums where either nobody is interested in new ideas, or where they automatically shoot down ideas or 'dogpile' someone for the slightest difference in opinion, or is full of negative replies - not interested.

I will know what kind of place this is by the replies or lack thereof that I get to this post.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I would definitely NOT consider this a forum that is filled with naysayers and people unwilling to explore ideas. It's how I ended up here, due in part to having experiences on other forums that sound similar to yours.

Welcome!

jaysmith

I would definitely NOT consider this a forum that is filled with naysayers and people unwilling to explore ideas. It's how I ended up here, due in part to having experiences on other forums that sound similar to yours.

Welcome!
So... If I were to say that we ( The private/hobby done community) need to start setting the standards before they are set for us by bureaucrats, such as maybe classes or categories of drones, types and colors of indicator lights, what a landing pad/site might be like, etc. - What would you say?

If I were to suggest that we need to start something serious where people can post 'next level' designs, and get the fullest credit and support possible, so that they can give away design secrets that they could otherwise make money with and not regret it because some place steals their idea and makes a fortune with it at thier expense and regret.
Something where people could either win cash prizes like the "X Prize", or get sponsored for a formal patent on thier design as another type of prize, what would you say?

If I said a day is soon coming when outlaw drones are chasing eash other down city streets, and we need to figure out how to handle that kind of thing, pro or con, what would you say?

If I were to say that an all out effort must be made to construct a world-class place for world-class drone obstacle courses with large cash prizes and national or world-wide broadcast like NASCAR races, what would you say?
- Would anyone here really get behind such things, and do more than a reply or two to help get it started?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
jay,

are you here to participate or promote another site? if you are proposing to participate here at multirotorforums.com and promote these activities amongst our membership then I'd say go for it. if you've got ideas for contests please contact me privately before posting anything.

fwiw, here's the reply i sent jay in a private conversation
jay (any relation to the Jay Smith that is editor for Model Aviation magazine?)

i suggest you make a few posts to introduce yourself, i think you'll find us a very civil and accommodating bunch of people. if you've got something that is worthwhile and interesting then i can't see our community being anything other than interested and encouraging, myself included.

give it a try and we'll see where we end up.
thanks for coming by multirotorforums.com, looking forward to seeing your new stuff.
bart

jaysmith

jay,

are you here to participate or promote another site? if you are proposing to participate here at multirotorforums.com and promote these activities amongst our membership then I'd say go for it. if you've got ideas for contests please contact me privately before posting anything.

fwiw, here's the reply i sent jay in a private conversation

Definitely not here to promote another site. Looking for a better site actually. If this proves sucessful, I would be interested in starting or promoting a "Group" or two, and other things, but not someone else's website.

Bartman

well then, you're here, get comfortable and we'll see where it takes us.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Would anyone here really get behind such things, and do more than a reply or two to help get it started?

I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable speaking for others here on the forum. But I can say that I've run across quite a few here who are inquisitive and productive in the directions the hobby has led us.

Can't say I've ever thought about drone obstacle courses - a wide open, empty field can be an obstacle course for me on some days!!! :), but I'd be curious to hear some ideas....

jaysmith

I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable speaking for others here on the forum. But I can say that I've run across quite a few here who are inquisitive and productive in the directions the hobby has led us.

Can't say I've ever thought about drone obstacle courses - a wide open, empty field can be an obstacle course for me on some days!!! :), but I'd be curious to hear some ideas....

No offense intended, but wide-open spaces are BORING - Oops, I hope that did not offend anyone, lol.
Places with trees are challenging and much more enjoyable, and are themselves a form of obstacle course, as anyone flying into branches and leaves I am sure can attest to.
I am not talking about just PVC tubing poles or hoops, either.
This is about taking things to the next level, crashing THROUGH branches and leaves, going through various water hazards; simulated high gusts of wind, updrafts and down drafts (Large fans); flying through hanging ropes or yarn; Landing on a very small disk, landing on or hanging from a branch, pole, or simulated power line.
Drone-on-drone dogfights, drones going after each other with either air-soft pellets or mini paintball guns.
This might also involve next-level exhibitions with various kinds of lighting, streamers, smoke trails, etc.
People coming up with thier own obstacle to see if anyone else can beat it, maybe even a "Kobayashi Maru" or 'no-win-senario' that dares anyone to beat it. Participants could pick and chose which obstacles to complete for points for a total point spread, so that various kinds and sizes of drones in 'open class' could compete together. One drone would be the fastest, but can't handle the water hazard, but could land on the small disk; A large drone is slower, but can crash through branches and leaves, and be less affected by the wind gusts. This would inspire never before attempted or thought of drone designs, as each designer could build something completely different to try to suprize and out-do everyone else. A poor man could beat the rich guy who just blows money on his drone; a kid could beat all the adults, a senior pilot could have fun like a kid showing what he can do.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I really have no idea. :)

But you do seem to have some new ideas, and certainly some energy. I'll be following along to see what you come up with.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Wow man that sounds like FPV racing on crack! Get's my vote as it sounds fun (here's the boring bit) if properly controlled.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'm with you. I love excitement - as long as everyone is safe, and more specifically, doesn't give the hobby a black eye. Specific courses seems like the best way to get that done. Sadly for me, something tells me this is prime for west coast space and weather. At the rate this winter is going, Vermont would allow for only snow obstacles :)

jaysmith

Wow man that sounds like FPV racing on crack! Get's my vote as it sounds fun (here's the boring bit) if properly controlled.

Control?... - Control?!?... No! - Wild abandon! - Well, maybe net walls to protect the spectators...

jaysmith

I'm with you. I love excitement - as long as everyone is safe, and more specifically, doesn't give the hobby a black eye. Specific courses seems like the best way to get that done. Sadly for me, something tells me this is prime for west coast space and weather. At the rate this winter is going, Vermont would allow for only snow obstacles :)

Safety? Oh man.. Let's not ruin it with safety... Safety is for children and old ladies! (Just kidding).
Snow obstacles? - I didn't even think about that!... Crashing through snow walls? Blizzard races? - NO! Throwing snow balls at drones to try to bring them down as they race! lol

jaysmith

I will re-post this in general discussion under a more applicable name and go into more detail there...

jaysmith

So far, with only one exception, only moderators have responded to anything I have posted.
Looks like the moderators are covering for another dead, do-nothing forum full of nothing but people with problems.
- We'll see...'

Bartman

ok, let's make a first observation shall we? are you usually rushing into forums sites raising all sorts of assertions that may or may not be true and then actually surprised that you don't get a very welcoming response? if that's your M.O. then I'd guess it isn't your ideas but your delivery.

just an observation

Stacky

So far, with only one exception, only moderators have responded to anything I have posted.
Looks like the moderators are covering for another dead, do-nothing forum full of nothing but people with problems.
- We'll see...'
I read your first few comments and came to the conclusion that you were full of your own self importance. You started in a condescending tone and are carrying on in that manner. Maybe you need to take a long hard look at yourself, your ego and your manner before making derogatory comments about this or other forums in general. You havent been here long enough to know there are an awful lot of helpful freindly and enthusiastic people in here and this in turn in my eyes anyway means you look like a complete moron to me. Ego without intelligence is embarrassing to watch.
Dont worry I wont come back to this thread again, I am not worthy of your brilliance....

Status
Not open for further replies.