A2 receiver vs external. What are you using and why?

Pumpkinguy

I do have a 7008sb reciever but I'm thinking I will use the built in reciever as this eliminates a connection and an additional failure point. The down side is I cannot use voltage telemetry to my 14sg. What are you guys using and why? Pros and cons? Thanks.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
I use a Jeti plugged in via the DJI sbus converter. Works a treat. No disadvantages from what I can see, big advantage is that it is allowing me to use the best TX out there (in my opinion of course- others will clearly disagree!)

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
using a Futaba S-Bus converter with a JR receiver.
haven't flown it much due to the weather but did it so i could have discreet wired inputs to a receiver for a dual receiver system i use

Pumpkinguy

I use a Jeti plugged in via the DJI sbus converter. Works a treat. No disadvantages from what I can see, big advantage is that it is allowing me to use the best TX out there (in my opinion of course- others will clearly disagree!)
I've seen those but don't know anyone that has one. They look awesome though

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I use the onboard Futaba REC. No issues at all, and my cam op uses a Sbus rec into the Zenmuse... perfect combo, less stuff on the copter.

rilot

FrSky X8R receiver via S-Bus in to the A2. I do it this way because I use and love the Taranis' programmability.

fltundra

You can bind the Frsky X8R to use S-bus on ch 1-8 and 9-16 for gimbal and accessories. Then use a 2nd taranis for 2 man op with second PPM D4R receiver connected to the trainer port.

Carapau

I wouldn't worry about using either an external receiver or the in built one. There have been so few reports of A2 caused crashes for some time now and a whole shed load of them in use that I suspect that either option is proving to be pretty robust (hopefully those aren't famous last words!). I would chose external vrs internal based on the transmitter you are happy using.

Pumpkinguy

I use the lightbridge vs the internal Rx. More distance and HD video downlink and I have telemetry.

Useless In my case with the Gremsy gimbal (no slip rings). But I am considering using the LB for video only. I know a few guys that either use this or have tried it. No problems with interference with other 2.4 equipment.

Since I have a Graupner MX-20 for my Mikrokopters I just used PPM from a Graupner Rx. Added a Telemetry module for 2s-14s. I like Graupner for the Voltage telemetry and the flight info stored on the Transmitter (SD), not just the iOSD data, which seems a bit flaky.

snurre

FrSky X8R and Taranis plus as TX. Wonderful programming options, Failsafe options, good telemetry with logging, RSSI and S/bus output to the A2. And 8 ordinary servo output ports (CH 9-16).
I decided against "intelligent landing gear". I must be able to fly really close to ground, below 5 meters, with the gear still up.
I have a LB that will probably be used for video only, if FrSky RC link works stable with LB in use.

Carapau

I decided against "intelligent landing gear". I must be able to fly really close to ground, below 5 meters, with the gear still up.
You can do that with the A2 still even with intelligent gear sellected. You do need to go above 5m off the ground initially to raise the gear but once that is done the gear will stay up unless there is a 'go home' event or if you select gear down. The gear will stay up otherwise even if skimming the grass!

snurre

You can do that with the A2 still even with intelligent gear sellected. You do need to go above 5m off the ground initially to raise the gear but once that is done the gear will stay up unless there is a 'go home' event or if you select gear down. The gear will stay up otherwise even if skimming the grass!

This is good to know. Thanks!