A2 receiver vs external. What are you using and why?

saenzm

FrSky X8R and Taranis plus as TX. Wonderful programming options, Failsafe options, good telemetry with logging, RSSI and S/bus output to the A2. And 8 ordinary servo output ports (CH 9-16).
I decided against "intelligent landing gear". I must be able to fly really close to ground, below 5 meters, with the gear still up.
I have a LB that will probably be used for video only, if FrSky RC link works stable with LB in use.

Hi Snurre,
I´m plannig to buy the Taranis 9 plus with the x8r also. I will use the IOSD MKII but won´t use LB
Do you suppose you could walk me through "exactly" on how you did the connections? Can you get full control of the gimbal?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

snurre

Hi @saenzm,

Sorry, but documenting my exact setup is just a but too tedious and I doubt you will need it.

Regarding gimbal control: My project is yet not completed but the gimbal will be controlled with a dedicated radio, though i think it is quite possible to have it all set up in one single radio.

The connection itself becomes fairly clean as you connect the X8R SBUS output to the A2 X2 input and configure the A2 accordingly in its assistant software. The channel assignment is up to your own preferences and pretty self explanatory, again in the assistant software.

If you run into some specific problem during your setup, I might be able to provide some help. Good luck with your project :)

saenzm

Hi @snurre,

Thanks for your answer!
Just some questions:
1) In what mode did you set the x8r?
2) Do you get the 16 channels recognized by the A2?
3)How do you power your x8r, with a bec or dedicated lipo and if so, how many mAh?
Thanks in advance!
Marcelo

snurre

Hi,
1) Mode 4(D16)
2) Yes
3) From the A2 X2 port. The A2 is supplied from its power module (and the PM goes directly to the main packs).

saenzm

Hi,
1) Mode 4(D16)
2) Yes
3) From the A2 X2 port. The A2 is supplied from its power module (and the PM goes directly to the main packs).

Thanks a lot Snurre!! :)

I should have ask you before cause I have already ordered a bec and a lipo for the x8r. Anyway it's good to know I don't need them.
Happy safe flying!