Medium lift multi rotor

serfy

Greetings! I am looking to purchase/build a compact, foldable rig to carry a Nex 7, A7, GH4 and possibly a 5D. But my goal is smaller, less conspicuous in other words quiet. Seems like the smaller and quieter a rig is the more places it can be used. I like the idea of an X8. Seem like the bigger you go the harder it is to fly and the more dangerous it is. So I'm looking for the perfect combo. Hoping you can lend some educated opinions.

I really like the Carbon Core because of the way it folds, but seems more like a heavy lift rig. But I could start out with that one as a straightt quad and add the second set of motors later. Still it seems on the larger end of the spectrum, and was told but another manufacture here in the US that because it's from England it's behind, but of course he wants me to buy his craft. The beauty of this rig is that it can go for the really heavy lift jobs.

http://shop.carboncore.co.uk

I've also been looking at the Xpro Heli rig, but that maxes out at a Lumix, but it's small and compact kind of like a big Phantom. It also comes ready to go which is nice.

http://xproheli.com/products/ready-to-fly-xpx-pro-pack

Lastly is the DJI S900. The good is it's cheap. The bad is the folding props, and the way they fold the arms seems wrong and can effect flight. It's also an awkward shape to be traveling with.

I was looking at the Sky Hero Spyder 700 but was told they;re more on the toy end of the spectrum. I called Bradatech to discuss the build and the guy kinda snapped at me and told me the X8 700 couldn't handle a lumix and pretty much hung up on me. Seems like it should with 8 motors.

http://bradatech.com/xPedRobo/shop/...ducts_id=481&zenid=2gns900qnj0a4lg4d6f9937tm2

I just saw the Align multi rotors that were just announced, but not sure when they will be released and if it will be worth the wait.

These are what I'm looking at, are there any others you might know of I should consider to further confuse the decision? :)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
You might check out the VulcanUAV line. They have a newer foldable frame which includes raised arms for removing them from the camera shot (helps, not sure it eliminates in FFF). They are retailed here in the States by John at AddictiveRC, who has been great to deal with and is a sponsor of this forum (he carries other higher quality frames and parts as well).

I would say that lifting a 5D is borderline "heavy lifter." I know it's not a RED, but it certainly is the top end (weight) of the DSLR spectrum. The Sony is light by comparison, and opens up different options.

Curious to see what you end up choosing.

Good luck.

kloner

Aerial DP
smaller is usually louder because of all the stress overloading frames poses. what you meant to say larger frame with lower kv motors and bigger props,,, them are quieter. careful flying payloads that big with that mindset, it'll be an expensive lesson

moto, you must have alot of patience dealing with that guy.....

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
smaller is usually louder because of all the stress overloading frames poses. what you meant to say larger frame with lower kv motors and bigger props,,, them are quieter. careful flying payloads that big with that mindset, it'll be an expensive lesson

moto, you must have alot of patience dealing with that guy.....

With john? He was pretty good for me. But it was just a few phone calls and a couple orders. Have you had issues?

i think there is only one other vulcan dealer stateside, and the reviews of that place are borderline criminal....

kloner

Aerial DP
just slow to ship like the uav's are a second gig. he would go away for days. i started there but didn't last long. he was one of the first dji retailers

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
just slow to ship like the uav's are a second gig. he would go away for days. i started there but didn't last long. he was one of the first dji retailers

Mi had a very different experience. Maybe he is doing it full time now? I spoke to him on the phone to confirm order and it was shipped the next morning. I'm not sure I've had "flawless" experiences with ANY retailer in this industry except RMRC and GetFPV (something about FPV crews???), but I'm hoping to stumble on the perfect balance of quality and variety of parts and good customer service one day :)

kloner

Aerial DP
that's good to hear, my other grips with him then was his site would say he had something but it would come back back ordered a few days later in an email, think that's what sent me off and running....

if you come from SRH the shops you deal with all have instant shipping, like helidirect, it is literaly at the post office within a couple hours almost no matter what time you order..... i've tried to cancel orders within 30 minutes and it was already gone, i'd check the tracking and bigger than crap it was handed off when they said. So to switch over to multis was a pretty big shock when stuff didn't move very fast

If i remember right he was a cop

Old Man

You might check out the VulcanUAV line. They have a newer foldable frame which includes raised arms for removing them from the camera shot (helps, not sure it eliminates in FFF). They are retailed here in the States by John at AddictiveRC, who has been great to deal with and is a sponsor of this forum (he carries other higher quality frames and parts as well).

Good luck.

I add some reinforcement to Addictive RC and John's willingness to go all out for a customer. Great person and company to deal with and a very strong knowledge base for foundation. His site could better represent some of what he sells but if he has it he ships it quickly. I ordered a custom, one off Vulcan folder frame from him early this year and had it inside of two weeks. He also has some custom carbon resources that can be tapped if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

serfy

That is an interesting looking craft albeit unconventional. Seems as though carbon fiber is the direction most manufacturers are going...

serfy

It has been my experience from shoots I have done that a smaller craft is more user friendly in more circumstances. I also shoot real estate so a smaller craft could more easily fit through a door for instance.

The Xpro Heli is like a large Phantom as is about 600mm from motor to motor. So it would appear easier to fly. Maybe that's an illusion. I also know those guys are really good with customer service. The craft is made out of formed aluminum which is unconventional. It looks heavy, but also looks strong.

The Carbon Core would seem to be the most versatile as it could eventually fly a Red. It's 800 mm and folds down to a tiny footprint which is great for travel. But I'm concerned going from a Phantom to that is a big jump. I was looking at a used version with the guys from Xpro Heli and with 8 motors it was intimidating and the guy doing the example flipped and crashed it. To his credit he told me he was playing around with the gains before take off and didn't have a camera on it for ballast.

The DJI S900 is cheap but the largest of the lot. It seems that the industry is going to the X8 design so not sure about a hex.

kloner

Aerial DP
what your seeing as the industry going to is because the big motors that swing huge props don't fit many companies rigs anymore. i'd say x configs are far from the norm

You should just hand carry a rig going through a door into someones home, theres nothing good that can come from it.

To fly a 5d with a 900 imo is wreckless.... something even smaller even more so. the thrust to weight the frames that size that use props the size they fit are too low. there is no little frame that does it all.

serfy

Carrying a 5D is a best case scenario because it shoots raw and footage could be paired with a Red more easily. Camera's are getting smaller and better anyway. If I were to eliminate that from the equation what would you suggest? Traveling with it is an important factor.

kloner

Aerial DP
gh4 on 800-1000mm frames if i didn't worry about getting in wind, ie i can choose when i can shoot. When you do pro work, it's always in teh windiest spots and today is the day.... and that needs overhead.

The noise part though, if you want quiet, going smaller is the opposite, smaller the props (more rpm) are the louder it'll be

serfy

So you're saying a GH4 on an 800-1000mm frame is even a little small? Yes there almost always seems to be a some wind, but I've heard that an X8 helps smooth that out. Is that someone trying to sell their craft?

kloner

Aerial DP
no, it does a little. also drops props down over the gimbal,,,, double edge sword

I fly them on 1100mm motors with a really light brushless gimbal with 20 amp hours of 6s and get 15 minutes if i cruise and behave. u7, 18" props.... big frames with big props and light weights are quiet, that's about the only time....

this is what smaller props and heavy loads get like

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
top vid is hexacrafter 1100, bottom is a skyjib8.... the top one has 30% more thrust than the octo