Perhaps a silly question

Y0urDaddy

So at the risk of showing my total nOObness in the hobby I wanted to ask what may seem to be a silly question. I have done a bit of research in the area of FPV for my F450. I think my initial interest with the F450 is to try to get an FPV set up working and then either build a separate F450 for photos, or get an additional camera later.

What I don't think I have seen is any kind of an FPV in a box type kit. Is it correct that you generally have to put your FPV system together at the individual component level?

Thanks

YD

you can actually purchase several "kits" if you look on some of the sites, including ebay. just do a google search for fpv kits. if you are going to do any aerial footage or video, you will definitely want to use fpv. again, just search on ebay, even if you don't purchase there, you can see what the kit would entail.

I purchased my transmitter, mini osd 7inch screen / receiver, all in the same package deal.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
ReadyMadeRC has kits, and I'm sure others would as well. Decent price for a "starter" kit. Putting a package together isn't tough though if you do some research on the forums. Plenty of options, but the concepts are the same no matter which brands you choose.

Y0urDaddy

Poking a round a bit a saw a site that cooter had posted. They had a fat shark kit that looks to come with the goggles, transmitter, and a small camera for about $240. that does not seem like too much for a get your feet wet set up. I think I initially want to try the goggles for the whole matrix affect :)

kloner

Aerial DP
just to throw this out there, you can get a similar setup with a monitor for about the same for similar grade gear.... it is a lot easier to progress with fpv from los with a monitor,,, once your under hood, you stimulated in a way that makes it harder to learn, the juices are flowing, etc.

http://www.getfpv.com/8-lumenier-lcd-fpv-monitor-with-5-8ghz-32ch-diversity-receiver.html

http://www.getfpv.com/5-8ghz-32ch-a-v-600mw-transmitter-ts832.html

http://www.getfpv.com/lumenier-cs-800-super-800tvl-s-wdr-camera-w-case.html

you can add a goggle set to that for minimal as well, 99% sure there was a boscam goggle set that matches that vtx.... it's all entry level but good stuff... a nice set of antennas helps alot. ibcrazy ultra bluebeam set comes to mind.

Y0urDaddy

have you guys purchased things from the getFPV site before? It is not one I have ever bought anything from so I am not sure if it is a good place to shop online.

Thanks...

YD

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
have you guys purchased things from the getFPV site before? It is not one I have ever bought anything from so I am not sure if it is a good place to shop online.

Thanks...

YD

Kloner swears by it. I've gotten a few things from them too - quick shipping, good selection.

Y0urDaddy

Thanks for the info guys! I need to do a bit more research and all before I snag an FPV set up. The getfpv site said that for the kit I was looking at you needed a HAM operator license in the US. I need to find out if that is the case and if so how hard one is to get.

Thanks...

YD

kloner

Aerial DP
you gotta study a pretty basic outline of the ham system and pass a test at your local ham club. it takes most people a week or two. any fpv system in america needs the ham lic. it also allows you to bump up your rc control to a uhf system.

Y0urDaddy

Thanks for all of the info here guys. I have been thinking about this most of the week. I normally only get to fly on the weekends, and I have another quick question for the more experienced folks...

Which do you think is a better use of the money initially, and FPV system (still looking at the fatshark), or going with a gopro and a mount for it? In terms of cost they are close to each other. My overall goal with the F450 was to get one in the air and see if I enjoy the hobby, that part is done. I also want to shoot some aerial video and photos, from what I have read an FPV system does make that a good deal easier.

Just looking for some opinions at this point.

Thanks again!

YD

wilanz

Thanks for all of the info here guys. I have been thinking about this most of the week. I normally only get to fly on the weekends, and I have another quick question for the more experienced folks...

Which do you think is a better use of the money initially, and FPV system (still looking at the fatshark), or going with a gopro and a mount for it? In terms of cost they are close to each other. My overall goal with the F450 was to get one in the air and see if I enjoy the hobby, that part is done. I also want to shoot some aerial video and photos, from what I have read an FPV system does make that a good deal easier.

Thanks again!

YD

The quality you'll get from a gopro or any HD recording camera will be much nicer. Plus you can do photography, too. It just takes a while to learn how to line things up since you can't see through it. And you'll spend time editing and re-shooting.

Fpv systems will get the shot lined up but their recording quality may not be as good and it drops when you do screenshots. There are some Fpv cameras that will use a sd card for on board recording. They seem to be a compromise between high resolution and signal latency. Somewhere right in the middle of the two.

I started with the teleporter v3 system with the pilot hd camera. Then just added a gopro white with a cable to Fpv from the gopro.

I wanted to add pan/tilt and switched to a Fpv camera and ground based recording. The flying experience was awesome but the recording quality was low.

Now all my toys have to carry two cameras.

Here's my first video testing the difference on planes.

http://youtu.be/fg4ZXQfepKo

I'm now heading to the field to test this on a multi rotor.

FlyGirl

Thanks again!

YD

That's a tough question YD....! I got an HD camera first, before getting FPV but it wasn't long after that I got the FPV setup because, well, I am an R/C junky and am partly responsible for China's rosy economy. LOL! They really compliment each other so much it's almost a thing you should get at the same time but if I had to pick one I'd probably get the FPV first followed by the GoPro as FPV does require a little getting used to at first.

wilanz

The FX-61 was very nice once I cut down the shaft and updated the prop from a slow fly to a regular one. Any speed or wind would make those wings flex. It took some reinforcement to get it just right.

More appropriate for this site is the video from this morning. F550 Hex with Naza M (No GPS) Flown in Attitude mode with 50% Rates and 50% expo.

Fatshark 600TVL FPV camera with pan/tilt servo hooked into Naza. GoPro hero 3 white strapped to legs of Hex with the helmet mount strap. Just a quick test to check the angles. Vibration is pretty bad. I purchased the hex used so I'm getting new props and also a new top frame. The current top frame was home made so it works but may be whats causing vibration. FUN!

I also want to move the batts from the top to the bottom near the legs. this sucker is top heavy!

http://youtu.be/Opqboy7XvjY

Y0urDaddy

Right now I think I am leaning towards FPV as the initial camera I put on my F450. I have been looking around at different sites at the Predator V2, there looks to be an FPV in a box type kit that comes with the goggles, camera, and transmitter. That kind of set up is what I want to go with initially vs. putting an FPV system together at the component level. That is something I will likely do later once I get my feet wet so to speak.

FlyGirl

Right now I think I am leaning towards FPV as the initial camera I put on my F450. I have been looking around at different sites at the Predator V2, there looks to be an FPV in a box type kit that comes with the goggles, camera, and transmitter. That kind of set up is what I want to go with initially vs. putting an FPV system together at the component level. That is something I will likely do later once I get my feet wet so to speak.

That's what I did too... By the way, all the Fat Shark stuff is totally interchangeable with the Immersion R/C line of products. No soldering necessary and everything is plug n play.