Perhaps a silly question

kompuntu

[MENTION=9917]FlyGirl[/MENTION]: interchangeable? Meaning I can use ImmersionRC's vTx on the aircraft, with whatever camera I have and use FatShark goggles on the ground?
I'm assuming the goggles have a built-in Rx in them? Is that a standard or do some of them come without a receiver?
I'm also in the process of selection of FPV gear. Building a BlackOut mini-H (and maybe even a Hex) for some fun FPV flying through various terrains.
Chances are i'll be crashing quite a bit so i'd like to avoid having a cardiac arrest every time it happens. So I think GoPro will NOT be used for this FPV setup.
What would the acceptable (and best) quality FPV camera be in that case? Board camera? What TVL? Or should I just get like a FatShark kit?
And also, I see a few FatShark goggle models out there? I'd like to avoid buying something that i'll have to upgrade pretty soon. I'd rather get something I can grow into.
Any suggestions?

By the way, I've gotten a few orders from GetFPV.com and I think they're impeccable. As good as it gets, I guess...

FlyGirl

All of the components that go on the MR that FatShark includes with the goggles are, if not made by ImmersionRC, are identical to them. So the camera that comes with the goggles will plug into any ImmersionRC VTx. Kinda nice and easy :) All of the ImmersionRC channels that their VTX's transmit on are the same channels that the FatSharks receive on. There is a FatShark goggle that does not come with a receiver and it is called "Base". Obviously it is intended to be used with a base station and the screen setup is the same as their "Attitude" goggles I believe which are a step up from the FatShark Predators. I've got both myself and use both. For an FPV setup I would just use the FatShark one that comes with goggles. This one is the one to use... http://www.getfpv.com/fat-shark-600tvl-cmos-cam.html Takes a licking and keeps on ticking ;) As for which goggle, I like the Attitudes myself. Or the Base if you are going with a base station. The Predators have a smaller screen but aren't bad. Stay away from the Teleporter. The screens are pretty small.

:)

Y0urDaddy

I am planning to order the Predator V2 kit in the next couple of days. I have seen a lot of folks post links for the GETFPV site so was going to give that site a try. I have not purchased anything from them in the past so this will kind of be a trial to see how they are.

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
GetFPV has ridiculously fast shipping. ReadyMadeRC and HobbyWireless also have fantastic service.

I ordered a Fat Shark camera from Hobby Wireless and they sent me an entire Fat Shark goggle setup by accident (very similar part numbers). I let them know, they paid for shipping back and gave me a $50 gift certificate. That was awesome :D

I'm a fairly regular customer at all three places.

Also, +1 on the Immersion/Fat Shark gear recommendations. I can't tell you how frustrated I was and how little interest I had in flying my FPV stuff until I simplified my entire setup with their gear.

Y0urDaddy

So I just had to say that getfpv gets a thumbs up from me! I ordered my fatshark gear from there on Sunday night, it arrived on Thursday. Keep in mind that they are located in Florida, I am located in Arizona so I was pretty happy with that. Also, they had the best price on the gear I was looking for by far so I was kind of thinking that there would be a high shipping charge. Not the case, free shipping. I am really happy with my experience there.

I have not tried the gear yet, but that is on the list of things to do this weekend.

jeff7457

Clueless but hopeful
GetFPV is great. No issues with them after several orders. The pricing is pretty good also. I purchased the Attitude system and EzOSD from them. All plug and play and easy to set up.

Gary Seven

Rocketman
So I just had to say that getfpv gets a thumbs up from me! I ordered my fatshark gear from there on Sunday night, it arrived on Thursday. Keep in mind that they are located in Florida, I am located in Arizona so I was pretty happy with that. Also, they had the best price on the gear I was looking for by far so I was kind of thinking that there would be a high shipping charge. Not the case, free shipping. I am really happy with my experience there.

I have not tried the gear yet, but that is on the list of things to do this weekend.

Hello @Y0urDaddy; I'm currently sitting on the fence WRT FPV and would like to know your experience with your new set up (so far). Care to post an update to this thread? :joyous:

Last edited by a moderator:

Y0urDaddy

Hello @Y0urDaddy; I'm currently sitting on the fence WRT FPV and would like to know your experience with your new set up (so far). Care to post an update to this thread? :joyous:

So I think my experience is pretty positive so far. The FatShark gear that I have does not seem to have a major impact on my fly times. It is more weight to carry but I still get a decent amount of air time. With that said I think I am kind of close to why my stock F450 can carry with the landing struts and FPV gear on a 3S pack.

Overall I think the FatShark gear I ordered is good. I do have a different view on the pilot HD 720 V1 camera. I ordered one of those, not knowing there were two versions and while it takes good video it is useless for FPV due to signal latency.

Now I started with goggles and one thing I can say is if you are not in an open field (no trees, ect) it is a good idea to bring another person whit you to be your spotter while you are getting used to FPV. You likely don't need this if you get a monitor, but for whatever reason I wanted to go whit the goggles first. FPV does take a little getting used to, but it is not too hard whit a bit of practice. I have kept it low and slow for a bit just to get the hang of it.

One thing I can say is it is hard to tell how high the quad is with the goggles on. On one of my tests I took it up a bit and thought I was about 50ft or so up. When I took off the goggles the quad was MUCH higher than I though. I would like to get some kind of a telemetry module that would display on the FPV output so I can know how high I am.

My situation now is that I would like to fly a gopro, but I am not too sure if I can lift all that with the 3S and the stock motors. while I can get another Pilot HD 720 V2 and do video and FPV I think a gopro will get better video quality. So my current decision is do I try to do this on my 450, or build a 550 for video and such and use the 450 for fun flying and such. Right now I am leaning towards the 550, but that would be a new project from scratch.

So... If you like flying I think setting up an FPV system is a good idea. There are a lot of options out there to research, I went with FatShark as you could get everything in one 'kit' and it was very easy to set up and get your feet wet for not 'too' much money. If you find you really like it you can always get more advanced gear.

Y0urDaddy

No problem...

I have found this community to be rather helpful. As I was getting in to the hobby I watched a few forums and it seemed like the folks here were all willing to share information with new people. You will have to let us know what you decide as far as FPV goes. I like it myself but need to get more time to fly.