testing while holding craft on ground

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
before i let my new bird fly free I have been slowly making sure everything is as good as I can get it. There is one thing that keeps me from feeling confident though. When I hold the unit down in the middle with relatively even force, the craft wants to lift evenly but then has a very strong lift coming from the left side. I have one hand on the throttle and the other holding her down. is this normal? I am hoping it is getting false signals from being held down and over compensating for it. But something doesnt feel quite right. And of course i would have NO idea how to isolate this problem. Motor rotations are all correct, everything is calibrated and leveled. hmmm...

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I have made a rotating platform that is weighted down.. its about 10kg. I strp my MFs down to this in zip ties to start and then cord about 6" long. Just a thought for testing with out holding your craft down by hand.. not the safest thing to do, especially if you have Graupner props on.. Trust me I have the scars!

As for it wanting to lift on one side that could be quite normal and since it cant register the movement it keeps trying to make that movement.

Have you done a motor test?
I was plagued for a couple of weeks with an uncontrollable yaw, all my motors where correct everything seemed to be ok but still intermittent uncontrolled yaw.. I eventually found it was i had a motor allocation on the BL's incorrect! That wont happen to me again!

If everything test out ok you are just having to give it a whirl. Nice soft lawn is the best! Good luck

May be film it.

Dave

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
yuri,
another idea is to put a couple of 4x4's across the gear skids to weight it down. depending on how heavy they are you can just about almost fly and see how the motors respond to control inputs.
good luck,
bart

jes1111

Wear eye protection! :)

I've watched lots of the OpenPilot guys doing this basic test by holding the quad above your head (with BOTH hands) and having someone else move the sticks to confirm correct responses. Needs two people, obviously, but it's quick, simple and definitive.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I AM DEFINITELY WEARING EYE PROTECTION. i still have a split finger wound from a prop accident as a kid. Remember those solid nylon master airscrew props? yeah. So far the best test stand is the gimbal on a tripod idea. i may try that when i have time. I think the idea of weighing it down still gives false input. I am a proficient pilot and if I thought it was going to stay somewhat level i would just go fly the damn thing. But that torque i felt from just being flat ont he ground was very nerve racking. Maybe the carpet gave enough that it sensed a need for correction and, like Dave said, it just kept fighting harder and harder to achieve it's position. It's seriously amazing how much lift these things have.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I go with Jes.

After discovering the mysterious blob of solder that did in fact turn out to be the reason for the Octo's 'lack of balance', I held it aloft with two hands around the two arms sticking out sideways whilst my lady slowly applied power. As it started to get lift I could feel immediately whether or not it had any tendency to go off in an unauthorised direction ... and there was no way it was going to fly with me hanging on it ... it didn't, so the next step was to fly it.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Ok, so I did my first official test flight today. there was nothing "flight" about it though. As i felt on the ground while holding the unit, it definitely swings hard to the right. I can visually see the right motor slowing down to near nothing. I might assume the esc or motor was bad but when I give it other combinations of control input, that motor speeds right up. I have double/triple/quadruple checked the orientation and arrangement of escs. It has to be in the software some where. I am using the hex config in the Xaircraft utility so I would assume the settings should be correct enough to at least hover a bit. And Jeff is no where to be found. Any input?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Ah so its a xaircraft? I was thinking it was a MK.. sorry if my advice seemed a tad strange!.. what a knumpty!

Dave

PS NO experience with XA.. Geoff at QC/co.uk has loads but he is on holiday.. Ho Hum!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Yuri,
Is it possible that you have the yaw channel reversed? I've actually had this happen where the control input to stop the yaw just made it worse.
Bart

Kilby

Yuri,
Is it possible that you have the yaw channel reversed? I've actually had this happen where the control input to stop the yaw just made it worse.
Bart

I was just thinking the same thing. I had the same thing once. Give it a look over.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
About three or four weeks ago, having assembled the Octo, I set it down outside in the garden for its first test flight. In no way did it behave as I had been expecting. It wanted to go forwards and hard left. Whilst on the ground a couple of the props were just sort of marking time but not spinning like the others. So, I waited for the next day and went down to the flying field where I could be a little more 'adventurous' with the throttle. It pitched around wildly and eventually flipped upside down - twice.

This was not the easy drone experience I had been expecting at all. For the umteenth time I verified the flat horizontal setting, motor directions, individual motors and response to transmitter commands. All the motors sped up or slowed down correctly in response to Tx stick movement. So, WTF?

Then I tried that 'holding it aloft while my lady fed in throttle' thing and I could feel it wanting to tip forwards. I let it tip and then eventually it corrected backwards but FAR TOO much and then far too much forwards.... There was clearly some sort of gyro problem. I took the FC board off and lo and behold there was a great gob of solder splattered all over a small component (a capacitor it turned out) next to one of the gyros on the small upright board. The capacitor came off anyway when I tried to remove the solder so I cleaned it up and replaced it and then ... everything was OK.

Your 'first official test flight' sounds remarkably similar to my experience so you might want to check the boards for solder blobs shorting out stuff? All this was related in another thread at the time but for now I am posting the photo of the solder blob again for you. It is top left on the right hand gyro board.

Boris mentioned something about checking stuff in KopterTool. I hadn't even considered that. So I did and I am much wiser for it (thank you Boris!).

View attachment 1086

Attachments

• FC board resistor crud.jpg
    FC board resistor crud.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 327

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
i will check the yaw. But even giving it no input it just torques over before even leaving the ground. I have video if that helps. I'm just glad my Phantom HD didnt crash with it. Kidding, I always wanted to say I had one.

as for solder failures, anything is possible, but that sounds more like an MK issue.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
them are fightin' words!

they might be fighting words but I also may be joining the dark side of the force here pretty soon if I can't get some airtime. Wait, maybe I already am on the dark side of the force. I still want to know if DJI is affiliated with Xaircraft.