Gongrats to Aerial MOB and Mr. Kloner......well done

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Heh, yeah. Funny thing is, I just go turned down. Apparently they only want to insure "proven reliable" systems like a DJI Phantom. :upset:

Yeah buddy, there's nothing proven reliable about a Phantom, least of which is the pilot.

SMP

On topic, the one thing "we" should all agree on and should be the single talking point - " The FAA should immediately implement the existing regulations that have been working effectively in the UK for years."

Av8Chuck

I would be all for the development of a proper UAV flight school with professional certification. As long as it's reasonable. Training would include airspace theory, radio communications, weather, etc. As well as practical knowledge of UAV control system design and theory. You wouldn't pass unless you knew what HDOP was, what frequency GPS operates on, what AHRS stands for and what are some common systems in use, and common failures thereof. And demonstration of manual piloting skills.

None of your concerns matter -- let me explain, they don't matter if the FAA is the one developing that curriculum, you can suggest things all you want but if we don't have an organization that represents all of us, whatever WE want is irrelevant. We can debate online until the cows come home, all the FAA will do is use that debate against us.

Av8Chuck

On topic, the one thing "we" should all agree on and should be the single talking point - " The FAA should immediately implement the existing regulations that have been working effectively in the UK for years."

Yeah, I can see that happening. Worked so well with healthcare...

I'm not familiar with what is or isn't working in the UK. Its funny that anyone who argues for sensible regulations, others will say your against regulations. I'm not against regulations, I'm for innovated market opportunity for anyone who wants to pursue them and the regulations are developed by people who equally understand the technical qualifications, safety and privacy concerns, and the business of AP so the regulations aren't so onerous that they restrict all but the biggest companies can afford to be certified.

Paul7060

I would be all for the development of a proper UAV flight school with professional certification. As long as it's reasonable. Training would include airspace theory, radio communications, weather, etc. As well as practical knowledge of UAV control system design and theory. You wouldn't pass unless you knew what HDOP was, what frequency GPS operates on, what AHRS stands for and what are some common systems in use, and common failures thereof. And demonstration of manual piloting skills.

Once FAA gets in the hobbyist pants. They would want to approve your flying equipment you end up with ratings for each type of craft and level of equipment you would be certed for . Also could get too only approved equipment sellers on FAA approved list of vendors .

gtranquilla

RadioActive
This thread heading started out a a congratulation to Aerial Mob but is now locked in to the FAA mode issues.... for what it is worth!
Hard to track back to these items under the wrong heading now.

kloner

Aerial DP
the insurance is easy to get if you have any faa certification..... insurance sees this all in line with how the faa wants it cause they also insure government uav's, etc.

to put this in perspective, to currently go fly a uav test site or run up to alaska and fly for bp, you need a second class medical and a commercial faa certificate. private pilot is 40 hours and pass a vfr test, commercial is 1500 hours and IFR rating, full gammit of experience..... years vs months.

alot of reasons the faa wants certification and guess i see em. certainly not my idea,,,, one that stands out alot is "aviation english" probably isn't in alot of rc pilots brain matter..... if you need to contact them or are contacted by them, they want to make sure you can communicate. our application is very much like the uk and several other countries.

{}{steve}{}

The requirement for an RC operator to have a commercial pilots license is beyond laughable. It's like demanding that a person, who brings firewood across a lake in a canoe for a fee, obtain a ship captians license.

kloner

Aerial DP
just about everyday i have notams for commercial uav operations in my area. they want you to know how to let them know your coming.

If you buy more than 25 balloons in the united states the FAA is notified.... it's that simple, they own it as long as you over US national airspace

{}{steve}{}

I have no objection to them coming up with a licensing structure for UAS. I just think they need to have different levels of licensing. A person who plans on doing aerial photography for realtors and such, who never plans on going over 400', shouldn't have to become a full fledged commercial pilot. That really what pisses me off about this whole thing. They need to get off their butts and put something together instead of doing what get are doing.

kloner

Aerial DP
what we are doing has nothing to do with and does not include the approval to do real estate work. The worst part is those types of uas is gonna be last because of all the privacy issues related to bycatch......

this is strictly asking for permission to fly on closed sets with scripted production.... the privacy thing will make what is the cheapest to have done now the most expensive to get compliant with.... farming & industrial will be safer areas with less tender privacy stuff attached as well.

Theres one more company that came in behind us with a similar request as ours on there own,,, week or two ago.

Either way... I'm ready to play ball on their court. Let's go. A big thanks to AerialMob and the other 7 making the push for a pathway to work legally on a closed set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kloner

Aerial DP
Well, public comment is closed and we will know one way or another here in 90 days or less. Better go finish that private cert

kloner

Aerial DP
thanks.... on a side note a company representing our local utility got a airworthiness certificate for a small multirotor drone to perform power line work. There in a closed set test site kinda like we are asking to work in.

Fingers crossed

Old Man

Like to hear more about the small MR airworthiness certificate. I work with two of the sUAS being used in Alaska with "experimental" tail numbers and wonder how the MR managed to get through the BS in getting certified.