FrSky/Taranis Owners Thread

boba7523

I have a Taranis X9D and X8R receiver. How do I bind them together?

I watched YouTube videos and pressed and held down F/S and connecting the battery, but the LED flashes red instead of a solid. Tried turning on my Taranis to bind it but nothing.

I have a Naza V2, so I connected a servo from the X8R's S.Bus to the Naza's X3.

Am I not supposed to connect the servo cable yet until I've successfully binded?

Any help appreciated!

SoCal Blur

You have to go into the menu on the Taranis and set it to bind. Once you done that, then do the bit with the receiver and it will bind.

Gary Seven

Rocketman
I have a Taranis X9D and X8R receiver. How do I bind them together?

I watched YouTube videos and pressed and held down F/S and connecting the battery, but the LED flashes red instead of a solid. Tried turning on my Taranis to bind it but nothing.

I have a Naza V2, so I connected a servo from the X8R's S.Bus to the Naza's X3.

Am I not supposed to connect the servo cable yet until I've successfully binded?

Any help appreciated!
[MENTION=14880]boba7523[/MENTION]; I am by far NO expert on this matter, but I have watched probably every YouTube video possible in anticipation of receiving my Taranis and X8R. From what I've seen, you must connect S-Bus to X2, not X3! Please see this vid by a very smart young fellow:

http://youtu.be/kl5wuMiZ1_w

HTH some.

boba7523

You have to go into the menu on the Taranis and set it to bind. Once you done that, then do the bit with the receiver and it will bind.

Yep did that, Taranis makes continuous beepign sound while in Bind Mode.

@boba7523; I am by far NO expert on this matter, but I have watched probably every YouTube video possible in anticipation of receiving my Taranis and X8R. From what I've seen, you must connect S-Bus to X2, not X3! Please see this vid by a very smart young fellow:

http://youtu.be/kl5wuMiZ1_w

HTH some.

Thank you, I will try that when I get home.

I watched one video where his X8R's LED was solid red upon turning it on, and only started flashing red after he pressed and held F/S. Mine flashes red whether or not I press and hold F/S/.. Weird.

Btw, I set the channel mode to D16 in my Taranis and External RF off.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
My LED has not followed what was prescribed either - but it bound fine and shows up as connected after doing the bind procedure.

min0nim

Yeah, I remember thinking the same thing when I first bound mine. The continuous beeping makes it seem as if nothing has actually happened.

Switch off, switch on, and everything is connected just fine though.

boba7523

Hi Guys!

Wow we should keep this thread alive!

Any tips for a beginner FRSKY X8R and X9D owner? So much going on in just a little transmitter, i'm a bit overwhelmed!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Guys!

Wow we should keep this thread alive!

Any tips for a beginner FRSKY X8R and X9D owner? So much going on in just a little transmitter, i'm a bit overwhelmed!

I'm a big fan of the telemetry that can be had cheap. I really love the sensors that deal with the voltage and consumption.

If you need specific advice feel free to ask....

youre right, we need to get back to updating this thread. Has anyone updated to the new firmware/software? I've been holding off.

Last edited by a moderator:

boba7523

Guys, so I just checked my connection. I do have the right connection -- X3 to PMU and X2 to S.Bus of X8R.

Still can't bind. Weird...

Mode: D16
Channel Range: 1-8
External RF: Off
Receiver #: 1

What I did:

1. Turn on Taranis
2. Press bind, wait to hear the beep beep beep......
3. Press and hold F/S on X8R
4. Plug in battery on my quad
5. X8R flashes red ..... No LED color change, no solid red, nothing............
6. Unplug the battery on my quad and plug it back in ... Same red flashing from X8R ... No color change, nothing....

boba7523

By the way, the only thing plugged into my X8R is the servo going to S.Bus. Should i be connecting anything else?

min0nim

Good point, maybe use the jumper pins to reset the x8r to make sure channels 1-8 come through the sbus. I don't see why this would affect the bind, but worth a shot.

Also make sure that you really are pressing the f/s button while plugging in the battery, and hold it for a bit. It is tricky to get it to depress with a paperclip while juggling lipos with the other hand.

SoCal Blur

Guys, so I just checked my connection. I do have the right connection -- X3 to PMU and X2 to S.Bus of X8R.

Still can't bind. Weird...

Mode: D16
Channel Range: 1-8
External RF: Off
Receiver #: 1

What I did:

1. Turn on Taranis
2. Press bind, wait to hear the beep beep beep......
3. Press and hold F/S on X8R
4. Plug in battery on my quad
5. X8R flashes red ..... No LED color change, no solid red, nothing............
6. Unplug the battery on my quad and plug it back in ... Same red flashing from X8R ... No color change, nothing....

If you are using SBUS you should set the channels 1-16 and make sure you have jumpers shorting pins 1-2, 3-4 (double check the instructions on which pins to short as I'm doing this from memory).

boba7523

Good point, maybe use the jumper pins to reset the x8r to make sure channels 1-8 come through the sbus. I don't see why this would affect the bind, but worth a shot.

If you are using SBUS you should set the channels 1-16 and make sure you have jumpers shorting pins 1-2, 3-4 (double check the instructions on which pins to short as I'm doing this from memory).

Thanks guys!

Regarding jumper pins, I was reading X8R's manual (here's the link), and it says no jumper needed for Mode 5 (D16), Channel Output 1-8..

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks guys!

Regarding jumper pins, I was reading X8R's manual (here's the link), and it says no jumper needed for Mode 5 (D16), Channel Output 1-8..

You want mode 4. That will give you channels 1-8 on sbus, and make the physical outputs 9-16 for use with other things (gimbal etc). Also, mode 4 will allow you to use telemetry.

boba7523

You want mode 4. That will give you channels 1-8 on sbus, and make the physical outputs 9-16 for use with other things (gimbal etc). Also, mode 4 will allow you to use telemetry.

Thanks MOtopreserve.

Looking at mode 4, the channel output is 9-16. I'm assuming this X8R user manual is for traditional connection, not SBus? So 9-16 is physical output, then by jumping ch 1, 2, 3, 4, it lets me assign those to SBus?

I think this might be the solution!!!!!!!!!!! Will try tonight :)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks MOtopreserve.

Looking at mode 4, the channel output is 9-16. I'm assuming this X8R user manual is for traditional connection, not SBus? So 9-16 is physical output, then by jumping ch 1, 2, 3, 4, it lets me assign those to SBus?

I think this might be the solution!!!!!!!!!!! Will try tonight :)

in mode 4, sbus carries 1-8. The remaining available outputs are 9-16, which come up on the physical outputs of the RX. So output #1 on the back of X8R = 9, #2=10, etc.

One trick I've used is to copy (duplicate) the throttle channel in companion 9x over to another available/unused output so that I can still do the throttle/ESC cal without having to change modes. Since I don't use all 16 outputs, I just leave it in case I need to mess with the calibration again.

boba7523

Thank you.

Do you know a good place that kind of walks you through everything about Taranis X9D from getting started to the more advanced stuff? I know there's a video series on YouTube (By eastbay rc + aloft hobbies), which I'll watch. Just seeing if there's more.

Btw, so if I want Sbus for ALL connections, then I use 2 X8R receivers right?

in mode 4, sbus carries 1-8. The remaining available outputs are 9-16, which come up on the physical outputs of the RX. So output #1 on the back of X8R = 9, #2=10, etc.

One trick I've used is to copy (duplicate) the throttle channel in companion 9x over to another available/unused output so that I can still do the throttle/ESC cal without having to change modes. Since I don't use all 16 outputs, I just leave it in case I need to mess with the calibration again.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thank you.

Do you know a good place that kind of walks you through everything about Taranis X9D from getting started to the more advanced stuff? I know there's a video series on YouTube (By eastbay rc + aloft hobbies), which I'll watch. Just seeing if there's more.

Btw, so if I want Sbus for ALL connections, then I use 2 X8R receivers right?

i suppose you could use 2 x8rs for 16, but I think just using an sbus and them 8 servo wires would be easier and more flexible. Lighter too.

Look up the videos by Scott Paige. He really cover quite a bit. The rest you'll want to know can be found right there in the search bar of google :)

min0nim

Thank you.

Edit: Sorry, this linked to an evil website, and I've removed it. Let us know if you still need help.