FrSky/Taranis Owners Thread

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I didn't bother to buy the sensors I use a DJI Mini OSD instead it has it's own current sensor.

Well, thats great if you run DJI. For those of us that don't - you'd need other options. These sensors are cheap too - so the option becomes even more appealing for those that do want some power feedback and don't run OSD.

chipwich

So, there is a new version of companion9x, now called OpenTX Companion, and with it a new version of the OpenTX firmware for the Taranis X9R. A few observations:

- if you like me, back up your EEPROM with companion9x, then upgrade to OpenTX companion, and then try to write your backed up EEPROM your radio before updating the firmware, your radio with flag the EEPROM as invalid and load the default one, which will devoid all of your models. So, backup your models, then flash your radio with the new firmware before trying to write an EEPROM with the new OptenTX Companion. I had to upgrade the STM32 drivers with the latest version of zadag before I could write the new firmware to my Taranis. Does that make sense?

- The new firmware did not read all of my custom sound files, so make sure to go back through our switches to make sure that the sounds are working. It might be a max number of characters with the file name, but I haven't had time to check.

- I you program one of your switches to perform a Timer reset, but sure to put a check in the box next to the applicable SF on page 11 in order for that to work.

- The process for putting your radio into a mode that will connect to Companion is a little different. You hold the trim sliders at the bottom of each stick to the center of the radio, then switch on the power switch. Then plug in the USB cable. Sort of kludgy, but it works fine.

- The INV function on the Servos page 7, is now the direction arrow only.

That's about all that I've discovered with so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks for the update Chip. Not sure I understand what you had to update with zadag? Do you have a link to the updated drivers? Keep checking in if you find new features good or bad - curious to see what the "big changes" are.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
EDIT: Just realized it was a typo - you were talking about the "Zadig" not Zadag :)

Chip - I'm already deep into reading that :). But do you have the link to the driver that solved the issue you had?

im in referring to this in your post:

"had to upgrade the STM32 drivers with the latest version of zadag before I could write the new firmware to my Taranis. Does that make sense?"

also, I think that the sound file issue may be caused by the fact that they are now providing a couple extra programs that handle sounds - maybe this new version is handling sound files with different extensions? I'll look into it.

chipwich

http://www.open-tx.org/2013/08/22/opentx-frsky-manual-en/

Sorry, it's in the original manual at the end in flashing the radio and installing drivers section. One interesting note is that once you've flashed your radio with the new firmware, you won't need the drivers anymore. I do like the ability to selectively turn on/off individual switches during the boot check.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
One thing I'm already a bit confused with is when they describe the boot up process as: "The bootloader is a minimalist application that is called by holding both horizontal trims inwards while powering the radio up."

im assuming that holding those trims in doesn't effect the trim setting once you've fired up the radio. Weird they didn't just use the stricks for this procedure.

Not it sure I'll have the time to upgrade this week. But I'm really curious about all the changes and will continue to read...

chipwich

It makes sense once you've done it. Basically, with the old method you accessed the radio and SD card with the radio running (firmware booted). Now you enter another program (Bootloader) to access it without the radio booted. You hold the aeleron and rudder trims inward and power it up. Now plug in your USB cable and you will see it in Windows Explorer like it is a USB storage device attached (hence not needing drivers). I've got an old iMac at home and going to try that tonight just to see if OS X can recognize it, which woulld make the Mac folks happy. Trims are not effected because you are only getting to the Bootloader.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It makes sense once you've done it. Basically, with the old method you accessed the radio and SD card with the radio running (firmware booted). Now you enter another program (Bootloader) to access it without the radio booted. You hold the aeleron and rudder trims inward and power it up. Now plug in your USB cable and you will see it in Windows Explorer like it is a USB storage device attached (hence not needing drivers). I've got an old iMac at home and going to try that tonight just to see if OS X can recognize it, which woulld make the Mac folks happy. Trims are not effected because you are only getting to the Bootloader.

I'm one of those mac folks :) But I will be able to use a Windows7 computer - although I was never able to get Companion 9x to work before. Mac worked pretty well once I got the drivers installed.

EDIT: Just installed the Mac Version of OpenTx Companion on the Mac and it crashes instantly. More research...

Seems like a known issue and is not working with any Mac OS lower than 10.8. I have a laptop with the newer OS, so I will be trying that later instead of my desktop to see if it will work.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Just wanted to let you folks know that I picked up a new Smart Port capable, FAS-150A current sensor. I have been using the older (legacy) style current/Ampere sensor with success, but there has been some concern that adding yet one more connection, especially in the power supply chain might be a risky proposition. Also, the previous versions of the sensor (FAS-40A and FAS-100A) required modifying the included wires to get it hooked up to the vario to then connect into the X8R. The upgrade to handle 150 Amps is welcome...

View attachment 18861

This new FAS-150A, being Smart Port compatible makes this a breeze, with the typical newer servo connection. Obviously, like the other Smart Port sensors, this can be daisy chained in line with other sensors.

The real news here is that it is a Hall Sensor - which means that you simply pass your battery positive power lead through the sensor, and it reads as the juice flows through. No need to solder or add any connections in your system. For us multi rotor fans, we will need to have this installed between the battery and the PDB. So either a desolder or connector removal will be required to get the single lead through the sensor.

I'll let you know how it goes - it will be installed on the Hex I am currently rebuilding.

The folks over at Helibatics made a video showing the sensor in action...

Attachments

• FrSky FAS-150A.jpg
    FrSky FAS-150A.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 562

SoCal Blur

Thanks, Scott. I suppose I would need two of them. I have use two batteries in parallel but they attach at two different points on the PDB so that if one connection fails, I still have one good connection with hopefully enough current left to land the craft. So I wonder if there is a way to connect two of those sensors. Even if there isn't, one is better than none if you find that it is fairly accurate.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks, Scott. I suppose I would need two of them. I have use two batteries in parallel but they attach at two different points on the PDB so that if one connection fails, I still have one good connection with hopefully enough current left to land the craft. So I wonder if there is a way to connect two of those sensors. Even if there isn't, one is better than none if you find that it is fairly accurate.

i guess if you have two different connection points you'd need 2. I'm just not sure the taranis would recognize 2 of the same sensors. I will eventually be running 2 batteries at times, but they will be flowing current through the same Y harness I made. Obviously that leaves room for error in the harness, but as long as that holds - I should be able to get the juice from the single battery if one goes down.

Im more secure with my self-made harness than I am with the integrated PDB on this tarot 680pro - so fingers crossed :)

boba7523

So i've been sucked into this Taranis hype, and seeing how it's sold out everywhere.

Would Taranis be a great tx cost-wise if my main intention is FPV with goggles? Seems like I'd be getting a OSD to display data in the goggles so I wouldn't be staring at my tx for telemetry data...

Or is there an "ideal" tx for FPV with goggles?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
So i've been sucked into this Taranis hype, and seeing how it's sold out everywhere.

Would Taranis be a great tx cost-wise if my main intention is FPV with goggles? Seems like I'd be getting a OSD to display data in the goggles so I wouldn't be staring at my tx for telemetry data...

I'm not sure if one Tx is better than any other for FPV specifically. Keep in mind that you don't have to buy the sensors for the Taranis - they are an add-on when/if you want them. But remember that OSD may track voltage, but may not track mah used/consumption (which I find more valuable). They also may not track individual cells of the battery - so you can be aware of the lowest cell instead of just the total voltage. Just depends on the OSD you'll have and your needs.

Without any telemetry, I still think the Taranis is the most customizable, bang-for-buck Tx available out of the box. The ability to get into a computer based GUI and edit is priceless. And even with OSD I appreciate the telemetry because it's easier for me to hear the data that scan the screen when I'm busy learning to fly FPV :)

also, I think that there will certainly be times when FPV is not appropriate - and then I'm sure I'll be glad I have the telemetry.

chipwich

While certainly an OSD reduces the need for full telemetry via your TX, I find is that it is almost impossible find one that shows you all of the info that you might want. So, a radio with audible telemetry call outs, like "RSSI Critical" that the Taranis does when used with a FrSky RX, perfectly complements an OSD, especially if the OSD is not pulling info from the RX and you might be using one of those "illegal" sets of FPV goggles. :)

boba7523

I'm not sure if one Tx is better than any other for FPV specifically. Keep in mind that you don't have to buy the sensors for the Taranis - they are an add-on when/if you want them. But remember that OSD may track voltage, but may not track mah used/consumption (which I find more valuable). They also may not track individual cells of the battery - so you can be aware of the lowest cell instead of just the total voltage. Just depends on the OSD you'll have and your needs.

Without any telemetry, I still think the Taranis is the most customizable, bang-for-buck Tx available out of the box. The ability to get into a computer based GUI and edit is priceless. And even with OSD I appreciate the telemetry because it's easier for me to hear the data that scan the screen when I'm busy learning to fly FPV :)

also, I think that there will certainly be times when FPV is not appropriate - and then I'm sure I'll be glad I have the telemetry.

While certainly an OSD reduces the need for full telemetry via your TX, I find is that it is almost impossible find one that shows you all of the info that you might want. So, a radio with audible telemetry call outs, like "RSSI Critical" that the Taranis does when used with a FrSky RX, perfectly complements an OSD, especially if the OSD is not pulling info from the RX and you might be using one of those "illegal" sets of FPV goggles. :)

That's awesome! So these sensors for Frsky Rx also have audible call out? I thought they only show in the tx haha. Yes, that'd be very helpful then if I could hear it while wearing the goggles.

Btw, is the X8R rx the most recommended one to use with the Taranis?

Totally new to this hobby, going to have my first build (think Motopreserve might still remember from all the PM exchanges of me asking newb questions lol), but will be taking my time on the build and learning how to configure everything (Naza assistant, Taranis, etc).

Btw, anyone here have DJI F450 or a quad frame? Looking to build one and have my parts listed out, just wanted peeps to confirm if it's a good build. It's off topic so I'll bring it to PM if anyone has a quad!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Aside from chipwich himself claiming the FPV goggles are illegal, much like the FAA, without any legislation, :) better make sure you practice flight LOS first right?

When you do a little more research into the Taranis you'll realize that it can start your coffee maker, pour your first cup, and drive you to the flying field if set up correctly :)

boba7523

Aside from chipwich himself claiming the FPV goggles are illegal, much like the FAA, without any legislation, :) better make sure you practice flight LOS first right?

When you do a little more research into the Taranis you'll realize that it can start your coffee maker, pour your first cup, and drive you to the flying field if set up correctly :)

That's what my little Syma X1 is for ;)
Won't be flying FPV right away, probably going to put in a few dozen flights before I even think about doing that. Dont wanna get too far -- still worried about Naza flyaways .....

The FAA said they're going to start working with local law enforcement and educating them on the illegality of FPV and flying outside of LOS. And Amazon making such big headline about their Prime Air certainly isn't keeping the FAA's attention away from this hobby....

Edit:
Btw, are the aluminum carrying cases helpful at all? Do you guys actually use it to carry your tx to the flying field?

chipwich

That's what my little Syma X1 is for ;)
Won't be flying FPV right away, probably going to put in a few dozen flights before I even think about doing that. Dont wanna get too far -- still worried about Naza flyaways .....

The FAA said they're going to start working with local law enforcement and educating them on the illegality of FPV and flying outside of LOS. And Amazon making such big headline about their Prime Air certainly isn't keeping the FAA's attention away from this hobby....

Edit:
Btw, are the aluminum carrying cases helpful at all? Do you guys actually use it to carry your tx to the flying field?

- Ha! I have 3 x V911s and a Nano QX (awesome) for office play and sim training.

- On the FAA, they only have something like 140 field inspectors, which I am sure have their hands full with commercial airlines and all of the daily civil aviation incidents. So, unless they restructure, or adopt new technology for parsing information from other government agencies, I think that the average guy using FPV goggles at his local park in a responsible manner doesn't have much to fear from the latest interpretation, which by the way, hasn't been accepted by the AMA (community based organization).

- The aluminum case is junk and only is a collector's item at this point. I carry my two X9Ds in either the same case as the MR or in my tool carrier.

- I run X6Rs on all of my ships. Slightly less expensive, smaller, come with both antennas, have a Smart Port, and support the same amount of PPM/S-Bus channels.