GH4 is shipping

jfro

Aerial Fun
Found a beta release of DNG converter from Adobe. Says it will only last a short while, but it buys time. It works on folders. Tried two GH4 raw files and was able to get them into lightroom.
Converts the RAW into DNG.

Once you get to the following page, you have to check the agreement box for licensing. It will come to 2 programs to download. The one that worked for me is the DNG Converter.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/cameraraw8-5.html

buddyrama

The (I have the whit box too) Hdmi converters can't take the 24hz out. Its not "smart enough" :) So we can't get UHD :( No prob with the rest.

dazzab

OK, I give up. How do you get the live view to go out the HDMI port on the GH4? I've hooked up a HDMI --> Composite converter and sent that to my TX. I can use the 'Playback' on the camera and the image is relayed fine to my external monitor. But I've tried everything I can to get the live view to export without luck. I believe Kloner said he did it by setting the 'TV Connections' option to 1080i but that's not working for me. And the 'TV Connection' option also says Playback next to it making it look like it's referring only to Playback, which as I said is working fine. The manual clearly states that live view out is possible when set to 4:2:2 8 bit on page 65. I've tried several HDMI converters that work find with my Sony NEX and/or Nikon D600 as well. So what's the secret?

dazzab

OK, I give up. How do you get the live view to go out the HDMI port on the GH4? I've hooked up a HDMI --> Composite converter and sent that to my TX.
With the help of Bluerex I figured this out. It turns out the micro to mini output cable I was using does not work on the GH4. We did determine that the GH4 live view only outputs 1080p. That's fine as the HDMI to composite converter I have supports that. Although I have two versions. This one seems popular, is low priced and works fine. Interestingly enough, what looks like exactly the same board purchased from Kopterworx doesn't seem to work. Although that board has never worked for me so it may have been DOA.

kloner

Aerial DP
if your only option is 1080p, that would be on 24p cinema system speed.... 1080i is only on 59.98hz..... and the live output has to be down sampled to 1080p.... 2 spots to set

dazzab, is the system speed on 25 hz? you guys pal?

dazzab

if your only option is 1080p, that would be on 24p cinema system speed.... 1080i is only on 59.98hz..... and the live output has to be down sampled to 1080p.... 2 spots to set

dazzab, is the system speed on 25 hz? you guys pal?

I'm pretty sure you can't get any live feed at 24p. I think there is a statement in the manual about that. I have the system speed set to PAL at 50hz. I think you'll find that the 'TV Connection' selection screen is a bit misleading. While it looks like you can set the downsampling to various outputs, Bluerex pointed out that is only for 'Playback' not for 'Live Feed' - even though it doesn't appear that way at first look. I'm pretty sure the live feed is fixed at 1080p which may explain why some people are having issues with converters which probably can only do 1080i. Fortunately the HDMI converter I have does support 1080p so all is well.

Quinton

Is anyone using the IR to take pictures with the GH4, I am trying to get it working with camremote but its not playing ball.
Is there a setting or something I'm missing?
It works np with my 5D so I'm pretty sure its not the IR.

Quinton

does it even have an ir sensor? i thought these all worked on lanc cable...

Maybe that is my problem :)
I "assumed" the little circle glass thing on the front was IR, but maybe its used for night time exposure/focus.
I couldn't find anything in the manual about it.
Looks like Ill have to go hunting for another lead.

stevemaller

Heavy Lifter
Maybe that is my problem :)
I "assumed" the little circle glass thing on the front was IR, but maybe its used for night time exposure/focus.
I couldn't find anything in the manual about it.
Looks like Ill have to go hunting for another lead.
Just use the intervalometer that's built in. Take a picture every x seconds (your pick). Easy.

kloner

Aerial DP
it wastes alot of time and makes alot of workload..... sorting them all...

there used to be a sponsor here in turkey that had nice triggers super reasonable... i never tried it on the 4, but it worked perfect on the gh3.

dazzab

Just received one to use with my GH4. I'll be trying it out next week if the wind ever dies down here. Good news is that the snow is finally falling up in the mountains so that's where I'm heading next week with the SkyJib and GH4 for some fun.
My understanding is that the rcshutter release will allow starting/stopping video and releasing the shutter release for single or multiple stills. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it will allow switching from video to stills in the air like I do with my Sony NEX. I have found that to be very useful. But given how much data the GH4 can produce, being able to start/stop the video while flying should save me a lot of storage space on the SD card.

Last edited by a moderator: