Proposed Plans for my first Hex build

Raldan

As my first build, my overall goal is to build a hex around 2kg using motors/esc that I can use in future builds.

I'm using an anycopter frame plus 2 extra legs/mounts from flighttest.com and a KK2.1 flight board.

I wanted something I can learn on, with an eye to moving up to a DJI 450/500 frame with a more robust flight board for my next build.

My expectations are that I will learn to tune a flight board and deal with crashes while getting the hex to fly.

So, I'm a whopping 2 weeks into this stuff, so based on that wealth of experience:highly_amused:, here's what I'm thinking...

• Frame: Anycopter hub with 6 legs/mounts (approx. 600mm in diameter)
  • Motors: E-Flight Park 450 Outrunner, 890Kv
  • Props: 11x4.7
  • ESC: Turnigy Multistar 30A ESC 2-4S
  • FCB: KK2.1 (S/W unknown as yet)
  • Batteries: Turnigy 2-5000mah 30C/40C 3S
  • Recv: Spektrum AR610
  • BEC: CastleCreations CC BEC 10A (KK & Recv power)

Here's my eCalc printout for this config: View attachment 16767

Here's a wiring diagram: View attachment 16768

One question is the 11 inch props. These are what eCalc seems to like, keeping the hover around 52%, but is this reasonable considering the frame and all?
Am I missing something or am I close? I could purchase a Flamewheel 450/550 frame, but, I like the idea of fixing wood beams while I get better at all this.
Also is this frame good enough to support 2 5000mah batts. (Maybe I could open up a neighborhood battery delivery service).

I'll be grateful for any advise or comments.

Attachments

• eCalc - Hex V1a eflight Park450 890.pdf
    241.7 KB · Views: 372
  • KK2 WIRING HEX V1.pdf
    656.8 KB · Views: 343
Last edited by a moderator:

Raldan

I'm working on a drawing to see the relationship of the props to each other when mounted on this frame. Seems awful close.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hey. Welcome to the forum.

Seems like a decent idea to keep the cost of the frame low for eventual crashes etc. any reason you're starting with a hex for practicing? Quad will be cheaper in the beginning, and there is a good chance you may change your goals and desires by the time you want to start build #2.

If you are set on a hex, have a looked up the correct motor - and these are almost $50/each? Or did I stumble on the wrong ones? If so, For that kind of money you could get some T-Motors or 2 sunnysky and be very happy.

Ultimately you need to figure out what you want to do with this multirotor. Is it just for learning? Would you like to strap a gopro to it? FPV? If you want this first one for learning - go quad and get the feel for flying. It will be lighter, manageable and less expensive. If you purchase smart you can use some of these initial parts on another build.

Good luck and have fun!

I'm working on a drawing to see the relationship of the props to each other when mounted on this frame. Seems awful close.

Yeah, for 11" props your frame should be 650mm motor to motor. This will leave under 2" of clearance between props.

IF you want a good starter motor/prop combo I suggest Emax 2213 Motors with 1045 props on 3S. They are cheap and perform good, although need some balancing.

Raldan

Hey. Welcome to the forum.

Seems like a decent idea to keep the cost of the frame low for eventual crashes etc. any reason you're starting with a hex for practicing? Quad will be cheaper in the beginning, and there is a good chance you may change your goals and desires by the time you want to start build #2.

If you are set on a hex, have a looked up the correct motor - and these are almost $50/each? Or did I stumble on the wrong ones? If so, For that kind of money you could get some T-Motors or 2 sunnysky and be very happy.

Ultimately you need to figure out what you want to do with this multirotor. Is it just for learning? Would you like to strap a gopro to it? FPV? If you want this first one for learning - go quad and get the feel for flying. It will be lighter, manageable and less expensive. If you purchase smart you can use some of these initial parts on another build.

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the welcome Motopreserve!

Yes, this is just for learning. The motors are just what I found that would work. I'll look at some of the others to trim my costs down. I tend to shoot for the moon and settle on an old satellite, but the learning I'm getting from this forum and researching is helping. And yes, a quad would help with the costs.

I have a 350QX, which I really recommend for beginners as the GPS and RTH really has helped me get out of a few jams. My build will not have those safeguards.

Eventually I'd like to get a hex with GoPro/FPV and a flight board with telemetry for video work (probably build #3 or #4). That's a ways off I have to admit. Once I find some motors/esc/props that eCalc likes in a quad config, I'm ready to give it a go.

I've got to say, this forum is a Godsend. I hope someday to contribute something useful.

Thanks!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The problem with eCalc is they don't have every motor. You can root around the internet and find many specs, but still some are missing. At that point you need to trust other people experiences with what's worked with a given size rig.

It's great you have the blades for practice already. You'll be flying a heavy lifter before you know it :)

keep is posted.

Raldan

Thanks LordPikaChu. I will check that out. I was afraid it was starting to look like all props! I don't want to scare the neighbors... or myself.

wolph42

Yeah, for 11" props your frame should be 650mm motor to motor. This will leave under 2" of clearance between props.

IF you want a good starter motor/prop combo I suggest Emax 2213 Motors with 1045 props on 3S. They are cheap and perform good, although need some balancing.

here's a calculator I created specifically for that issue: http://bit.ly/1gmDQ3E

mspaterick

i would get some motors from hobby king they are allot cheaper and from the experience of buying over 25 motors of various types I have never had a problem.

just my 2cents

good luck with your build.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I have a bunch of the aerodrive 2830-11 1000kv motors. They have all been decent so far, except for an overly long shaft. That can be dealt with using a dremel though.

Raldan

I just ordered a bunch of those 2830-11 1000kv motors with some 30A escs. I think I do some experimenting with those in some different configs and work the bugs out of my building. I'm going to focus on making flying platforms and leave the heavy lifting for a future copter. I don't know enough to know what I want to eventually do. I just know I want to start somewhere. Besides, its the journey, right? I also picked up a MultiWii Pro. Between that and the KK2, I've got plenty of homework to do.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think that's a great attitude. I think a lot of us get so excited we want to dive in head first (natural - it's a cool hobby). But without a little time at the bench and at the field I think it's tough to expect to know exactly what you'll want down the road.

With the the common crashes - these motors will lessen the blow. Did you order an extra motor and ESC? If not, maybe do that sooner than later.

Not sure if it was mentioned before - but I also think it's worthwhile to buy decent props right off the bat. I have a pile of cheap HK props that I am not using because I have read/watched too many horror stories of the cheap plastic ones coming apart in the air. Felt wasteful to not use them, but when weighing the cost of a crash...

You can get good ones for about $3/each like APC, HQ and GemFan.

Enjoy!

Raldan

Yeah, thanks for the tip about the motors you used, $9.93 a piece, I got 10 of the motors and escs. Will look into the props. Are the shaft lengths an issue? You say you had to shorten them. Did you just cut them with a dremel?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Yeah, thanks for the tip about the motors you used, $9.93 a piece, I got 10 of the motors and escs. Will look into the props. Are the shaft lengths an issue? You say you had to shorten them. Did you just cut them with a dremel?

I have been flying them with the shaft as the come stock - but they are long and prone to bending in a crash (which I have done PLENTY!). A quick zip with a dremel will take care of it. Make sure you wrap the entire motor with cellophane or painters tape before cutting if you are going to leave the shaft in the motor when cutting. Leave at least 1mm extra on the shaft. Blow it off well afterwards - just to make sure no metal shavings get inside.

Raldan

Got the motors and now have build a hex around then using the anycopter kit and a couple extra booms. Kk2.1 with Multistar 30a escs. Waiting on props and adapters. I also used two quad distribution boards to supply the escs, 3 to a side, and a castle 10a bec for FC and recv. Built it in one evening, can't wait to fire it up. Will post pics soon.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Sounds great man! Congratulations. Sounds like you had a busy night :)

Not to be a bummer, but which power distro board are you using? I had a real problem (expensive) with the cheap one from hobby king. If those are the ones you're using (check the amp rating) you might want to think about a squid or a better PDB. Cheaper now than crashing due to failure later.

Raldan

Yeah, had a lot of caffeine earlier in the day. Hmm, I remember your post about that. I'm using one board for three of the ecs's so that might spread the load out, but I will check. Using the Jacks from the boards, I can probably fabricate one. Thanks.

Raldan

An update, moved to a multiwii mega pro after damaging the Kk2.1. I think I energized the rudder inputs with 5v while plugging in the recv line. The aileron and rudder monitors were all over the place, while the throttle tracked smoothly. Saw some sparking so I assumed I toasted the inputs.
Anyhow, moved to the HK multiwii and started reading up on things. On the first tests I updated to 1.7, calibrated the escs modified the config.h file and did a couple of tests getting off the ground. Results, very hard to control,
GPS seemed to get signal (even had 8 Sats indoors). Eventually, while trying not to crash, I broke a few legs and a motor mount.
The anycopter frames legs just can't handle the weight of these motors and all, or my lack of exp flying. That's why I went this way.
Question: looking at the multiWii GUI I noticed that all the sensors acc gyros report changes on movement. All except mag[roll]. It stays at zero or a high number without ant fluctuation when I move the frame. The other 2 axis in the mag do change like all the others. Just not the roll axis. Is this a bad sensor?

I'll be modifying the craft, maybe simplifying to a quad before building a hex. I'll save on batts at the least.
Using 2830-11 1000kv x6, Multistar 30a escs, a 10a castle bec for fcb and Ar610 recv, anycopter frame measuring 2 feet across, and 2200mah 3s batt.

Let me know if anything looks out of line here.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Quad might be a better starting MR until you develop your skills a bit.

When you say running 1.7 are you talking about multiwii firmware???? If so, the latest is 2.3. So you should get the latest software before monkeying with anything else. The mag needs to be calibrated in the GUI (make sure you have the matching GUI for the software version you're running).

Where did you get the board?

The only thing on your list that stands out are the multistar ESCs. I don't have any experience with them, so make sure you read reviews and that they can be flashed with SimonK firmware (you'll need the gear for that - HK carries it). If for some reason they get bad reviews, the f-30A from HK have been working well for me and they're easy to flash and cheap.