Si3POs Build Log: X550 quad

si3po

Lol. Thanks jb.... I'll keep that in mind... Oh and thread locked for now. Still no sign of the postman yet.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

si3po

Whoop whoop! Postman arrived this weekend with my package! Plenty of photos being taken for the unboxing, even had a few hours to start the build of the frame and mounting of the motors.

Oh, and guess which silly bugger forgot to purchase the rx...:hopelessness:

Just placed my order for one on HK, expect delivery by Friday I think.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Whoop whoop! Postman arrived this weekend with my package! Plenty of photos being taken for the unboxing, even had a few hours to start the build of the frame and mounting of the motors.

Oh, and guess which silly bugger forgot to purchase the rx...:hopelessness:

Just placed my order for one on HK, expect delivery by Friday I think.

Now you're movin' and groovin'

i know this is no genius suggestion - but what I do to prevent myself from forgetting stuff is add EVERYTHING to a wish list on hobby king. Even if I do t want to buy it there. That way I can check there before I place my orders. The store may suck - but the wish list is a great organizational tool :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jbrumberg

I think that a lot of people can relate to the :hopelessness::hopelessness: experience.... Put together what you can and :02.47-tranquillity:. I can relate. I hate :02.47-tranquillity:. Hang in there. This is character building. You, more than us presently, but we have been there too. I hate character building.

si3po

@motop: I like the wishlist function too! The thing is, my wishlist DOES have the receiver listed, I guess I just overlooked it when purchasing.... Oh well, I've found a few buddy codes that helped reduce my receiver order to minimal cost.

One other thing I wondered about was a low voltage lipo alarm.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
@motop: I like the wishlist function too! The thing is, my wishlist DOES have the receiver listed, I guess I just overlooked it when purchasing.... Oh well, I've found a few buddy codes that helped reduce my receiver order to minimal cost.

One other thing I wondered about was a low voltage lipo alarm.

The low voltage alarm is key. You should definitely get one. They are cheap and can save your battery lifespan. Some have readouts on them, and some just have a loud, obnoxious beeping. Obviously you need the beeping for long distance - and although I haven't put it to the test, I would say it's obnoxious enough to hear at quite a distance :)

jbrumberg

I agree with Scott. And although they are not the most accurate (mine reads slightly "high" which really is not that bad) they do give one a sense of battery voltage and voltage/cell while in the field so one does not have to carry around a multimeter if they are so inclined. Mine is pretty loud I could hear mine at about 10m distance yesterday. In reduced light I could probably see the readout flashing as well. I have the model shown in the attachment.

si3po

Thanks fellas, i'd thought as much.

I'll look at purchasing a low-voltage buzzer/LED alarm later in the month. In the meantime, my OrangeRX R615 arrived today, so i'm all ready to get building!...can wait for the weekend now!

si3po

Here's the kit!

nutabepu.jpg

gy2ate9e.jpg

e5upa9u9.jpg

The quad's all built now, and the ESCs are allprogramed. KK board arms and all motorsworks as expected, just a bit of tidying up the wiring and attaching the props do. Then it's on to testing and dialing in the gain pots.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1395069457903.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395069457903.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 154

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
What??? Good grief! :). Doesn't your motor pool have a ton of tap and dies you could borrow? Probably use a die to fix it.

Looking good though.

si3po

What??? Good grief! :). Doesn't your motor pool have a ton of tap and dies you could borrow? Probably use a die to fix it.

Looking good though.

Ha! I wish, this was my first electric build. All my other planes and helis are nitro powered! So I've got no electric spares bins built up yet.... luckily it was only the threaded collet shaft that I've stripped. How I managed to do that twice I'll never know, but I've ordered a couple replacement prop adapters and a low battery alarm and they should arrive in the week.

Suppose I can do some further prop off testing on the motors to pass the time.......

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I was actually talking about the Army motor pool (your avatar), Although I actually now have a brushless motor pool :)

Good that you ordered replacements - but if you have a tap & die kit, you should be able to fix them.

si3po

I'll take that with a pinch of salt motop, I'm not army scum, I'm in the Royal Air Force and proud to serve!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

cootertwo

Looking at the pics, props might be on wrong, (rotation) and usually the 2 different colors go to the front or back, for orientation purposes. Looks interesting. Good work :)

si3po

Looking at the pics, props might be on wrong, (rotation) and usually the 2 different colors go to the front or back, for orientation purposes. Looks interesting. Good work :)

I'm not overly sure I've set the correct rotations, but 1 & 3 are CW (Green props) and 2 & 4 are CCW (Black props).

Stupidly I bought 4 of each colour so I can't have the normal 2 green on the front and 2 black on the back.