Tiger U5 and sync issues (call to U5 owners)

Old Man

Tahoe,

I ran into a sync issue at the top end of throttle travel using a U8-135, Phoenix Edge 50 ESC, and Futaba 14SG with no FC included in the test mix. After calibrating the ESC no matter what I did the RPM peaked before the throttle did, and full (100%) throttle travel generated an RPM reduction from peak output. The same did not occur with a T-Motor 30a ESC, with full throttle range top to bottom. I did try various timing points with the Edge but never found a cure to the stick position condition. The condition would have been tolerable if all that was necessary was to dial back the upper throttle end point a little but the difference in throttle position between the Edge and the T-Motor ESC was a 150 RPM loss using the Edge. With a 28" prop 150 RPM is a lot.

JLO

Hi Guys Im having problems with my U5 and Maytech 65A Opto Esc the bird flys but many times on motor start up 1 or 2 motors jitter and don't spin or 1 just won't spin and jitter with the now known hammering sound so I obviously this birds is grounded after emails to tiger they recommend for the U5 The TM T40A Pro Esc so.....
Any one with U5 has any feedback on TM 40A Pro esc working with U5
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

JLO

Here Tiger Specs for this ESC

[h=2]DETAILS[/h] T-series pro ESC has the best performance, it is the super-class product for RC airplane and helicopter and multiroto-copter.

Specification:
1 Output: Continuous 40A, burst 60A up to 10 seconds.
2 Input Voltage: 2-6 cells lithium battery or 5-18 cells NiMH battery.
3 Refresh rate of the throttle signal: 50Hz to 432Hz.4Control Signal Transmission: Optical/electrical coupled system.5Max Speed: 210000rpm for 2 Poles BLM, 70000rpm for 6 poles BLM, 35000rpm for 12 poles BLM. (BLM = BrushLess Motor)6 Size: 59mm (L) * 27mm (W) * 12mm (H).7. Weight: 29g.

Features :
2.1 High performance microprocessor, best compatibility with all kinds of motors, highest driving efficiency.2.2 Three types of start mode: Normal / Soft / Very-Soft, compatible with aircraft and helicopter. 2.3 Smooth, linear, quick and precise throttle response.2.4 Multiple protection features: Low-voltage cut-off protection / Over-heat protection / Throttle signal loss protection.2.5 The throttle signal is transferred through optical/electrical coupled system to avoid electromagnetic interference.2.6 Perfect governor mode for Multiro-copter.2.7 Wide-opened heat-sink has the best heat dissipation effect.2.8 The firmware of the ESC can be updated through the built-in USB adapter in the Professional LCD Program Box.2.9 User programmable. 2.10 Multiple program methods supported: transmitter stick, Digital LED Program Card, Multifunction LCD Program Box, Professional LCD Program Box, PC software. Very easy to program the ESC at home or at the flying field.
20130927075708772.jpg

Clogz

Skunking about...
I've been using U5-400kv's with TM S45amp SimonK ESC's without any commutation issues and good results.

kloner

Aerial DP
so i've had the 65 amp optos and 3520 running for a year, few hundred epic flights and randomly i'l have a motor not fire,,, that's not too big a deal. sometimes it can be a bad bulet connection, might want to twist the connectors if the same motor does it over and over. you just stop/re start and it always fires up the 2nd time

I'd switch over to the tigers if it was me, they just need throttle calibration set... there esc are really nice. screw this simonK crap.

All that said i got some of the new maytechs to check out, i'll try getting to them soon and report. there is 40 amp blheli or simonK versions, got both. there also tube style for sliding into 25mm tube/arms

Last edited by a moderator:

JLO

Thanks Kloner you are always so kindly helpful, I will probably will go with the Tigers just to have some piece of mind, later I will have to find the true motor match for this Maytech Esc,s and you know on my next build I will approach the components choices first as individual tests on the bench to see how they perform then decide and purchase the rest of the components to build, everyone building performance copters should budget in their builds individual test stuff
thanks again

JLO

Interesting Clogz so all of your motor start at the same time and in a smooth even way? have you had any any issue?

I've been using U5-400kv's with TM S45amp SimonK ESC's without any commutation issues and good results.

Clogz

Skunking about...
Interesting Clogz so all of your motor start at the same time and in a smooth even way? have you had any any issue?

yes, no problems at all. I've tried various T-motor S25&45amp ESC's and T-motor motors without any trouble. Having said that I will be phasing out the T-motor ESC's and motors as I prefer using KDE ones...despite the fact it takes weeks for them to arrive through the post to the UK... Just needs 'forward planning'... ;)

rotorvista

I found those Tmotor S45A ESC's with U5 motors are ok for a light craft but the ESC's overheat with a bit of weight. measure the temps

kloner

Aerial DP
all the t-m esc's run hotter than i'm used to too but they are rated pretty high. my 80 amp/u7 are running 60c which feels hot but is in range. I'd feel alright ordering a higher amp tiger and it still work, like 60 amp ,,, if they fit the job or your in a really hot place, humid and hot being worse.

Clogz

Skunking about...
I found those Tmotor S45A ESC's with U5 motors are ok for a light craft but the ESC's overheat with a bit of weight. measure the temps

those are my findings too. Fly 30minutes without payload no problem....add a bit of weight...5minutes flight ok....6.5mins...multi esc shutdown due to temps followed by a flip and a hard crash... Chassis was a total write-off, Zenmuse doesn't crash well, Sony A7 display has a crack and a few other bits and bats....

To be fair, the U5's and the S45's did perform well and the overheating of the ESC's was my own fault. I knew they were running hot and they'll be ok but once outside a certain range the temps just run away...

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
No problem at all with Jeti 30amp ESC's Never seen temps over 60ºc even in our crazy 28ºc temps.. not loaded or loaded to breaking test point!

D

JLO

On my Maytech 65A Esc Opto I added aluminum heat sinks to each Esc by cutting away part of the top shrink plastic where the flat metal heat sink is, this has to help to dissipate the heat better this way the metal is in direct contact with the air flow I think every ESC should at least have expose to air heat sinks