Zenmuse Z15 5D MARK III

Quinton

Quinton,
Do you think it had anything to do with your new Bluetooth GS install ?

I did mention to my dealer everything I did the past couple of days, including installing IOSD mk2.

edit:
Forget I even said the other..doh, of course the Zen has to be plugged into the Wookong CanBus

Last edited by a moderator:

I did mention to my dealer everything I did the past couple of days, including installing IOSD mk2.
Now here is a thing which I just tried, I plugged the CANBUS out of the GPS and into one on the IOSD and the ZEN initiates but the little red LED on the Zen continues to flash red, which means there is a problem.
Which means..is there a problem with IOSD as I could not get the Wireless link to handshake with the receiver when it was plugged into the IOSD CANBUS, is the power coming from the IOSD different than the others.

Did you have the 5d switched on ?
I have a red light on the z15 when my nex5r is off. Does your IOSD display on your monitor ?
I think the power outputs/inputs are the same 3s to 6s.

Quinton

Yeah its alive again :)
Here is a quick video of it working the way it should (except the fact it will only reset pan access and not roll/tilt at the end)
Cant believe that the GH3 Zen has exactly this same problem, but they shipped the 5D also with it!
Did not plug in USB because I wanted to see the screen in case anyone asks.

Now I realise one of the limitations of the Wookong, it does not have enough Can Bus ports, what exactly is the reason for the 3 of them on the IOSD?

Tuukkuli

My brand new Zenmuse 5D seems to be faulty. Balance is good and I updated the IMU and GCU firmwares.
When I switch it on, the tilt motor starts to keep loud whirring noise and you can feel the motor shivering.The tilt motor also heats up quite a bit. The other two motors don't heat up at all.

My friend who is a tech guy/builder for Finnish importer of DJI products took a look at it and said the gimbal is clearly faulty. I hope I can get it replaced. The gimbal is brand new. Video explains it all:

Tuukkuli,
I had a faulty gimbal from a UK DJI dealer Z15 nex5r model one of the first in the UK i was told.
Start stop record and the shutter control never worked, It was also 2 digress out on the horizon and some time 5 digress on heading.
Brand new gimbal not working and i was told send it back and we will have a look, if we can't get it working we'll send it back to China for you.
Oh thanks that nice of you….. jokers

Tuukkuli

Well a thats really sad story. I am sorry for you. This just should not happen with products in this price range. Think if Canon dealers would not replace brand new faulty camera and shipped it back to Japan and you would be without your considerable investment for months.

I will let you know how my dealer deals with this. And I will certainly give them kudos if they replace it.

Quinton

Well a thats really sad story. I am sorry for you. This just should not happen with products in this price range. Think if Canon dealers would not replace brand new faulty camera and shipped it back to Japan and you would be without your considerable investment for months.

I will let you know how my dealer deals with this. And I will certainly give them kudos if they replace it.

Don't think they have a choice but to replace it.
This is what I don't understand with buying things these days, they expect us all to be putting money in to pre-order goods before they are even out and properly tested.

You are not talking small change here, these things cost a lot of money, and they rarely ship trouble free.
We are expected to wait for firmware updates before our expensive purchases even work properly??
Good luck with yours, but that does not sound good at all, theres nothing even in the Assistant software that you can adjust.

Tuukkuli

My dealer is Kopterworx and within hours of writing them they replied and offered to replace my faulty Z15-5D gimbal. This is what I call great customer support. Thank you Kopterworx!

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I find my horizon on the Zenmuse is related to the IMU. Mine went out by a degree after moving the IMU to the landing gear (vibration plate thing). If I move the IMU around whilst powered up you can get the Zen perfectly horizontal. Just an idea but check your IMU is flatly mounted.

I find my horizon on the Zenmuse is related to the IMU. Mine went out by a degree after moving the IMU to the landing gear (vibration plate thing). If I move the IMU around whilst powered up you can get the Zen perfectly horizontal. Just an idea but check your IMU is flatly mounted.

Ive check the IMU and removed, replaced with nice Vulcan gel which helps with the vibrations.

Did you notice any difference when moving the IMU from the centre hub to the Vibration plate ?

Quinton

Is this not something that you can easily fix with your trims?

Glad you got sorted Tuukuli
This is how it should be.

rotorvista

yes that is right and its very sensitive to any movement.

Quinton your zen movements do not look very smooth or maybe you was moving it fast?

Quinton

yes that is right and its very sensitive to any movement.

Quinton your zen movements do not look very smooth or maybe you was moving it fast?

I was just throwing it around at full speed to show it moving, I need to practice with regards to making the movement smooth.
The last 10 secs after the shutter was me flicking the reset switch, as you can see it only resets itself in pan and not pitch/roll.
Nor can you flick a switch to pitch 90 degrees or return to horizontal, this does not work yet (at least in mine, and I have heard its the same in others)
The weird thing is that the AUX 2 for s-Bus is set to channel 9 (channel 3 is not used) ot sure what you do if using an 8 channel radio?

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Is this not something that you can easily fix with your trims?

Glad you got sorted Tuukuli
This is how it should be.

If you have control of your roll, then yes, easily. Not a problem for two man operation. But for one man operation where I just use the tilt (pitch) then you rely on the inherent roll axis stability.

Hi Joepapa and all of you guys.
Ive got a Z5D the other day and now I'm not quite sure if i should run it on the motor lipos or if i should run it on an extra battery. if you do run it on a separate battery do you think a 3s 2600mAh should make it for a few 10min flights? if separately, i would also hook a few leds, the iOSD and the video downlink tx.
thank you in advance,
Phil

Joepapa

Well, if you aren't sure what to do, then I guess you don't have a compelling reason to stray from the setup that is proven and more simple. Since the zenmuse needs 4s minimum and the power consumption is rated at 200-400ma which is equivalent to a string of led lights or a fpv transmitter. This is very low. In addition, a second pack requires another battery has to be charged, mounted and monitored, and since the flight controller absolutely must communicate with the Zenmuse in order to function, you are guaranteed to always have power to both with a single pack. The extra weight of a second pack will likely cost you more flight time than the consumption of the gimbal. If you the gimbal needs to be mounted and removed from the multi rotor on a constant basis, consider mounting the GCU to the hex instead. This will allow all your electronics to be neatly organized in one place, and allows the zen to be removed with a single connection. Having the GCU on the gimbal means a latching can bus cable must be detached, and these are very fragile. Hope this helps.

Also, Im not sure what your flying this with, but I can get 14 minutes flight time on my Octo with this setup off of 15,000 mah and nearly 20 minutes with more battery capacity. If your going to add battery, why not add it to the main? Your Led lights also won't run off 4s and 3s won't run the gimbal. In scenarios where LED lights and FPV tx cannot handle 6s, I recommend a 12v regulator. Less batteries= less hassle.

Quinton

Less batteries= less hassle.

Just the person I wanted to ask..
Is your reset and forward/tilt down switch working on your Zenmuse?

None of them seem to be working here using S-Bus and Futaba

yeah bummer i just noticed that the GCU won't work with a 3s. you're totally right with the can bus hassle and the extra dealing with a 2nd battery. though the leds won't work with my 2x6s 8000mAh lipos. ill just do the leds with a bec and all the other stuff with the main batteries.

last weekend i simulated the total weight of the Z5D + 5D III via an AV200 Gimbal + a 2kg pack of rice and i got 10,5min with my aeronavics skyjib 6 lite, thats pretty satisfying for a hexacopter.

thanks for giving your input.

View attachment 16469

Attachments

• GG7A0644_1.jpg
    GG7A0644_1.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 384

seahawk92

Hy Guys!

I'm considering to buy a S1000 with Zenmuse 5D gimbal, but my concern is that this gimbal is for 24mm lens only. Can I use other one? (maybe 16-35 with balancing)

Thanks!

Tuukkuli

Well I´m on to my second Zenmuse as the first one had a faulty tilt motor and Kopterworx kindly replaced it with a new one. The new one was shipped from China to Kopterworx and it was (supposedly) tested in China before shipping.

On this one the horizon drifts very badly. Even on a slow pan the horizon goes haywire. My Copter is a Cinestar-8 with Quadrocopter Zenmuse adapters and Wookong and it flies very well indeed. The Wookong has the newest firmware.

Please see the video. Any tips? I would so much get this one to work instead of waiting for a third one. The red things that are shaking in the image are the lipo balance plugs illuminated by the leds on the copter. So it´s not the copter shaking :)