DJI A2 Official Users' Thread

kloner

Aerial DP
only if there non opto esc. any opto or dji esc plugs straight in. there is no voltage on the red wire in the opto,,,, only if the esc has a bec there is voltage and you don't want any voltage into any dji controller.

Tuukkuli

only if there non opto esc. any opto or dji esc plugs straight in. there is no voltage on the red wire in the opto,,,, only if the esc has a bec there is voltage and you don't want any voltage into any dji controller.

Yes, I was talking specifially about ESC's with built-in BEC. So to put it short and simple: Yes, one has to remove the red wire in case the ESC has a built in BEC also with the A2 controller. A bit unfortunate the manual doesnt mention this.

Last edited by a moderator:

deluge2

The DESST (DJI Enhanced Spread Spectrum Technology) receiver system is DJI's implementation of SS technology compatible with Futaba's FASST (Futaba Advanced Spread Spectrum Technology) series of transmitters.

Steve

<snip>

Just wondering though..... what the heck is DESST?

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
there are two in opposites sides of the IMU for that, right? the hole i'm talking about is in the PMU which PL said was an LED.

bart

I wasn't going to say anything, hoping that Ed would realise his error but he plainly has not.

He is still getting his P's and I's mixed up and is now confusing the issue further by bringing in the MC.

The IMU (Inertial Measurement/Movement (?) Unit) has two holes for the barometric altimeter sensor, which has always been located in that box - not the MC (Main Controller - the Flight Control). The original WKM IMU has only one baro hole. Obviously these holes must not be covered and ideally they should be out of direct airflow.

The PMU (Power Management Unit) has a small hole to allow the LED to be visible.

Thanks deluge2...... in summary:
DESST is basically equivalent to FASST
and d.bus is basically equivalent to s.bus...

The DESST (DJI Enhanced Spread Spectrum Technology) receiver system is DJI's implementation of SS technology compatible with Futaba's FASST (Futaba Advanced Spread Spectrum Technology) series of transmitters.

Steve

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Can't say I am that impressed with my brand new A2 on a brand new S800 EVO that came supplied with faulty retracts that only lift one leg.

The video shows why it never left the ground for its first test flight.

So, problems solved.

1. The retracts Control Board was swapped for a new one and voila, the retracts work properly. Remember that this is a brand new unused S800 EVO kit and it came with faulty retracts ... my third experience of faulty DJI retracts BTW.

2. The A2 MC (Main Control - or Flight Control to some) was swapped for a another one (another new one), loaded with the saved configuration and encore voila, no more motor spasms. Again, a brand new A2 ordered to be fitted to the EVO and delivered faulty.

Such rubbish gear.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
.........Such rubbish gear.

so why still use it? everything is still less than perfect at this point.....my new Mikrokopter FC 2.5 wouldn't write settings, the new one they sent is fine. ImmersionRC UHF system couldn't use newest firmware and it took a year and a half to resolve Windows8 issues (sold mine so don't know if newest fix solved their problems). frustrating to say the least but people just find a way to deal and carry on.

the moral of the story is, install, check, double check, then pay close attention during test flights and find faults before committing your gear to higher risks situations.

it will probably be this way for a long time.

Bryharv

So, problems solved.

1. The retracts Control Board was swapped for a new one and voila, the retracts work properly. Remember that this is a brand new unused S800 EVO kit and it came with faulty retracts ... my third experience of faulty DJI retracts BTW.

2. The A2 MC (Main Control - or Flight Control to some) was swapped for a another one (another new one), loaded with the saved configuration and encore voila, no more motor spasms. Again, a brand new A2 ordered to be fitted to the EVO and delivered faulty.

Such rubbish gear.

Yeah, so why did you buy an S800 or anything DJI? Lots of other choices out there... Anyone with even a cursory perusal of these forums would note all kinds of warning threads about the S800, the gear problems, the vibrations, flip of death etc.... I personally have had 100% solid reliable performance with my Wookong M, so I actually think nobody beats the DJI flight controllers. But sounds like you've multiple issues with DJI and keep on buying into it....hmmmmm, begs the question.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Yeah, so why did you buy an S800 or anything DJI? ...

Actually I never wanted the S800 - largely due to all the negative reports that you alluded to. But I had an overseas filming trip coming up last year and the vastly superior Droidworx airframe that I wanted was simply not available in time. The S800 is a great concept - along with most of the DJI product range - with its easy pack down design, but it is too plasticky and riddled with design problems and band-aid fixes.

The S800 was purchased in November 2012 but was not properly fit for use until the following July, by which time it was not the same machine at all. Original WKM - faulty, Z15-G - faulty, retracts - faulty.

Eventually, after replacing the IMU to the v2, installing the damping kit - one of the Band-Aid fixes that reduces vibration transmission to the camera mount but completely destroys the small amount of original structural rigidity, changing the booms to V2's - which still flex and bounce by the way, upgrading the ineffective camera mount suspension to something that actually works and prevents vibrations getting to the camera and countless other little modifications, it finally became a predictable and reliable working machine and started producing repeatable good results.

I am again filming overseas and after a great first week, where the S800 performed like a trooper in hot, humid and, dusty conditions on a five consecutive day shoot it suddenly went all to hell for no apparent reason. With no access to parts or materials that everybody takes for granted in Europe and the USA - you could die here before you could even find a 3mm screw - I had not choice but to order another airframe. The EVO kit comes with everything you need without having to source individual components, plus it is all interchangeable with the original S800, so it was the sensible choice under the circumstances.

But, true to form, both the airframe kit and Flight Control arrived (at great shipping and Customs duty expense) faulty in one way or another.

So, Harv, strangely enough you are right. I do have multiple issues with DJI.

EDIT:

so why still use it? ... the moral of the story is, install, check, double check, then pay close attention during test flights and find faults before committing your gear to higher risks situations.

Answer to that above and yes, triple-checking is the name of the game.

brutis

Actually I never wanted the S800 - largely due to all the negative reports that you alluded to. But I had an overseas filming trip coming up last year and the vastly superior Droidworx airframe that I wanted was simply not available in time. The S800 is a great concept - along with most of the DJI product range - with its easy pack down design, but it is too plasticky and riddled with design problems and band-aid fixes.

The S800 was purchased in November 2012 but was not properly fit for use until the following July, by which time it was not the same machine at all. Original WKM - faulty, Z15-G - faulty, retracts - faulty.

Eventually, after replacing the IMU to the v2, installing the damping kit - one of the Band-Aid fixes that reduces vibration transmission to the camera mount but completely destroys the small amount of original structural rigidity, changing the booms to V2's, upgrading the ineffective camera mount suspension to something that actually works and prevents vibrations getting to the camera and countless other little modifications, it finally became a predictable and reliable working machine and started producing repeatable good results.

I am again filming overseas and after a great first week, where the S800 performed like a trooper in hot, humid and, dusty conditions on a five day shoot it suddenly went all to hell for no apparent reason. With no access to parts or materials that everybody takes for granted in Europe and the USA - you could die here before you could even find a 3mm screw - I had not choice but to order another airframe. The EVO kit comes with everything you need without having to source individual components, plus it is all interchangeable with the original S800, so it was the sensible choice under the circumstances.

But, true to form, both the airframe kit and Flight Control arrived (at great shipping and Customs duty expense) faulty in one way or another.

So, Harv, strangely enough you are right. I do have multiple issues with DJI. But then again, who is really interested in the opinion of someone who starts a post with the word "Yeah"?
Fair enough. I have to agree Dji charged premium prices for some not so premium products. Note that I say "some" not all but most : )
Also there support service is terrible to say the very least! This is coming from aa customer from down under.

Bryharv

Actually I never wanted the S800 - largely due to all the negative reports that you alluded to. But I had an overseas filming trip coming up last year and the vastly superior Droidworx airframe that I wanted was simply not available in time.

this is funny.

CloudVisual

So to add to the list of issues, I'm looking for some answers to the A2 problem I'm currently experiencing.

The platform is a S800 SW. I've set the gains as near perfect as I can, but it still doesn't hold as well as when I flew the S800 on a Naza v2.

Anyway, the REAL problem is that sometimes it just completely ignores commands from me. Quite literally refusing to budge. This happens only if it is compensating for being pushed by the wind and refuses to head into the wind.

I know from flying with a Naza in very windy conditions, that first off, it doesn't wobble around as if it will drop out the sky and also that it can put up a pretty decent fight against a headwind.

So today, on a client site, I got a first level alarm and brought it in to land. As it came over a hedge, a gust of wind caught it and it would not move towards me. I was by this point, hard over trying to bring it back, but only the throttle would save me from not landing in the hedge.

The worst bit is tha this isn't repeatable 100% of the time, but it will happen during a flight at some point. Sometimes it happens if it catches it's own wash, which isn't good if you're coming in to land in a reasonably confined area.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So to add to the list of issues, I'm looking for some answers to the A2 problem I'm currently experiencing.

The platform is a S800 SW. I've set the gains as near perfect as I can, but it still doesn't hold as well as when I flew the S800 on a Naza v2.

Anyway, the REAL problem is that sometimes it just completely ignores commands from me. Quite literally refusing to budge. This happens only if it is compensating for being pushed by the wind and refuses to head into the wind.

I know from flying with a Naza in very windy conditions, that first off, it doesn't wobble around as if it will drop out the sky and also that it can put up a pretty decent fight against a headwind.

So today, on a client site, I got a first level alarm and brought it in to land. As it came over a hedge, a gust of wind caught it and it would not move towards me. I was by this point, hard over trying to bring it back, but only the throttle would save me from not landing in the hedge.

The worst bit is tha this isn't repeatable 100% of the time, but it will happen during a flight at some point. Sometimes it happens if it catches it's own wash, which isn't good if you're coming in to land in a reasonably confined area.

What mode are you flying in? Have you tried to switch modes to see if this happens after switching?

CloudVisual

What mode are you flying in? Have you tried to switch modes to see if this happens after switching?

I was flying in GPS atti mode.

I haven't tried a different flight mode. However I have been pushed to fly GPS atti, rather than standard GPS, for no reason at all. My flight modes are GPS/Atti/Manual. I've not seen a violet light on the craft for at least a month now and it always refuses to go to standard GPS mode, so it roll me to GPS Atti (green LED). However I then lose GCS battery warnings, being in that mode. (I do have alarms installed on all lipos)

Honestly, the Naza V2 was amazing in comparison to this. I had to get an A2 for the gimbal to work properly.

I don't fully understand what flight mode you are in? There is only GPS, ATTI and manual. What it sounds like to me is that you have IOC configured or mapped wrong and that is giving you the green LED status. Hook up to the assistant and double check your channel mapping. With IOC off, you should only see violet or yellow (GPS or ATTI).

gtranquilla

RadioActive
The 3 modes are called Manual, Attitude and GPS........ bearing in mind that GPS includes the Attitude functions.
What do you mean by "does not hold as well"?
Are you talking about maintaining a constant altitude?
Or are you talking about it holding a GPS position c/w altitude?
How many GPS satellites were you locking on to at the time of the flight?
There have been major GPS constellation issues due to solar flares recently.
Do you have pictures of your A2 FC system layout to share with us?

Was all functions proven 100% during the bench testing with Assistant?
What RC radio system are you using?
What are you Basic and Attitude gains set at?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I've not seen a violet light on the craft for at least a month now

Violet or Turquoise?

I have had this happen to me also but not that often and I think it was prior to 2.1 fw.. to be honest I have just left mine on bench and waiting for new FW to fix my issues that even though DJI promised they would. I aint herd anything back since I sent the video proof. Try and get a video of it doing what you say its doing. Screen shots of Assistant and build are always handy. Especially GPS position relative to everything electronic.

Not sure where you are in the world but I would not be flying it commercially. If anything major happens you may be deemed irresponsible for using a FC that has so many reported issues.

Dave

CloudVisual

Thanks guys for all the responses. I half expected not to get much of a response and wrote my last two posts on my phone in bed. Laptop at the ready now - let's get this all written properly.

I don't fully understand what flight mode you are in? There is only GPS, ATTI and manual. What it sounds like to me is that you have IOC configured or mapped wrong and that is giving you the green LED status. Hook up to the assistant and double check your channel mapping. With IOC off, you should only see violet or yellow (GPS or ATTI).

Sorry - I was flying in GPS ATTI (Defaults to exactly that name on the assistant, with a blue flashing LED, not violet), as it flatly refuses to go into standard GPS mode. I have IOC configured, but that works perfectly, set to Off/Course Lock/POI. I will double check these settings.

The 3 modes are called Manual, Attitude and GPS........ bearing in mind that GPS includes the Attitude functions.
What do you mean by "does not hold as well"?
Are you talking about maintaining a constant altitude?
Or are you talking about it holding a GPS position c/w altitude?
How many GPS satellites were you locking on to at the time of the flight?
There have been major GPS constellation issues due to solar flares recently.
Do you have pictures of your A2 FC system layout to share with us?

It doesn't hold it's position very well and drifts quite a bit. As I said, the Naza V2 had the craft locked solid and it wasn't phased in the slightest by gusty winds. Now on the A2, a 5mph windy day, flying at 60ft and holding for photos and the S800 is getting blown around like mad - easily a 30 degree tilt and then recovering.

I've taken the gains all the way up until it's slightly oscillating and then back down. Exactly as I did with the Naza.

Satellite count was 12.

Was all functions proven 100% during the bench testing with Assistant?
What RC radio system are you using?
What are you Basic and Attitude gains set at?

I checked everything on the assistant. I have checked it on the iPhone assistant app too.

I am using a DX9 with 2x Spektrum Satellite Rx plugged into the A2 ports.

Violet or Turquoise?

I have had this happen to me also but not that often and I think it was prior to 2.1 fw.. to be honest I have just left mine on bench and waiting for new FW to fix my issues that even though DJI promised they would. I aint herd anything back since I sent the video proof. Try and get a video of it doing what you say its doing. Screen shots of Assistant and build are always handy. Especially GPS position relative to everything electronic.

Not sure where you are in the world but I would not be flying it commercially. If anything major happens you may be deemed irresponsible for using a FC that has so many reported issues.

Dave

My firmware is all up to date and I'll try my best to get something to show how it flies.

** Further to all this I wrote this morning, I put the A2 back to factory settings and started from scratch. It's windy outside, so it's hard to do the gains accurately. However, the issue is now repeatable on pretty much every channel. It's pure sluggish uptake if it's dealing with a few commands in a windy situation.

To clarify this, I can fly into a headwind just fine, it'll battle against it and get a half decent speed, chuck in some yaw and practically nothing happens for a couple of seconds and then it catches up with the command and yaws faster and faster until it hits max yaw speed.

I can do that with the A, E, R & T channels, given there's some wind and it's dealing with a couple of commands. The craft will happily take on a headwind, but if I move the stick back and then go at it again, it will tilt about 5 degrees and very slowly build up speed.

Gains are as follows, but given the recent reset I did, not as well set as they were yesterday, as I just reset the system and did a quick gains run to get it running ok.

RyrnJoB.png

I've grounded it for commercial work. Yesterday's 'client' fly was a family friend asking for a photo of their house in the countryside, with an extremely low risk - so don't worry.

CloudVisual

Further to this:

GPS mode prior to take off is a blue LED. I get no red flashes to indicate satellite status, then the green run of flashes to indicate a recorded home position.

Throughout the flight, the blue light flashes and on 1st Level alarm, the light flashes green, not red?!?!

I checked the system on my iPhone prior to takeoff and it said the flightmode was in GPS and there's no IOC engaged.