DJI A2 PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU BUY (New firmware may change my opinion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocjock

Hey Kloner,

I've had TRM insurance for about 6 months now. Terry was awesome to deal with. I feel it is a bit expensive but I have some piece of mind. Forturnately, I have never had to make a claim so I can't actually speak about that process. In your above post you mention some expensive losses. Were any of those covered by your TRM policy? Have you made any claim with your insurance? I would just be surprised if those all happened under TRM and they didn't drop you.

kloner

Aerial DP
damage was minimal and we didn't file a claim, but yea, obviously you don't want to build up many like any insurance for anything else.

Electro 2

@Electro 2, how long have you had the SuperX? Have you used it on a heavy machine? 8+ Kg? I was reading the thread on it, and seems like a good option!

Only a few months. I have two SuperX' actually, one of which is in the biggest machine I own. At a 1000mm, it's only at 12 lbs at present, will weight more when FPV and gimbal/camera are onboard. They are truly divine, easily the best FC I've ever seen or flown. (Admittedly, I haven't tried all that are out there.) Dreamy smooth and graceful with a reduced pilot work load. The altitude hold is particularly good. I see no reason it wouldn't work at 16 lbs.

jazzboy

Only a few months. I have two SuperX' actually, one of which is in the biggest machine I own. At a 1000mm, it's only at 12 lbs at present, will weight more when FPV and gimbal/camera are onboard. They are truly divine, easily the best FC I've ever seen or flown. (Admittedly, I haven't tried all that are out there.) Dreamy smooth and graceful with a reduced pilot work load. The altitude hold is particularly good. I see no reason it wouldn't work at 16 lbs.

Do you have the Pro version? Can you let us know how much it is and the best place to buy one?

1. Is the A2 capable of voltage telemetry?

2. What is the advantage of voltage telemetry on the Futaba radio vs. on the IOSD via your wireless video?

Thank you

cbpagent72

Colin is not an MBA, he doesn't even have a degree in business. His only credentials are that he and his co-worker at DJI were on the television "Amazing Race"

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

jazzboy

Colin is not an MBA, he doesn't even have a degree in business. His only credentials are that he and his co-worker at DJI were on the television "Amazing Race"

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Very true,but the approach is classic MBA: shareholder first, client.....meh....who cares.

Electro 2

Do you have the Pro version? Can you let us know how much it is and the best place to buy one?

Yes on one bird, the other is a "basic" (4 rotor only) The "Pro" version is $600 (8 rotor), hex version is $500, "Basic" is $400 (4 rotor). In any case, OSD is $200, works with any of these. They all have GPS and the "Black Box" flight data recorder function. I'd probably recommend buying from Drew at XAircraft America. They know the machines and have excellent customer service. At the time I bought mine, they didn't exist, so I used CNC Helicopter in LA.

jazzboy

Yes on one bird, the other is a "basic" (4 rotor only) The "Pro" version is $600 (8 rotor), hex version is $500, "Basic" is $400 (4 rotor). In any case, OSD is $200, works with any of these. They all have GPS and the "Black Box" flight data recorder function. I'd probably recommend buying from Drew at XAircraft America. They know the machines and have excellent customer service. At the time I bought mine, they didn't exist, so I used CNC Helicopter in LA.

Thanks for the info. Still not 100% sure what to put on my octo after I rebuild it.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Guys.

Please can we get back on track here about the A2..

Can anybody confirm the following.

They are flying the A2 on the beta firmware
They have no issues
The machine has full failsafe and comes home not matter how quickly!

Preferably with

Spektrum via s-BUS conveter

I STILL HAVE two sat on the bench and a third on another bench!

All machines built with the A2 have been rebuilt with WKM.

I just wish DJI would respond to my requests for help with a little bit more than 'RFTM'!

Dave

jazzboy

Hi Guys.

Please can we get back on track here about the A2..

Can anybody confirm the following.

They are flying the A2 on the beta firmware
They have no issues
The machine has full failsafe and comes home not matter how quickly!

Preferably with

Spektrum via s-BUS conveter

I STILL HAVE two sat on the bench and a third on another bench!

All machines built with the A2 have been rebuilt with WKM.

I just wish DJI would respond to my requests for help with a little bit more than 'RFTM'!

Dave

So the Spektrum sats did not work out?

Tahoe Ed

I have test flown mine with the spektrum satellites. It was ok but I could only get 8 channels. The A2 has failsafe when using the internal Rx and the Spektrum satellites. That has been confirmed by several users. I did not test it on my S800 for obvious reasons. I moved back to the Futaba 8FGS and I am now able to map 9 channels I am still trying to figure out how to get the next 3 that should be available. I have not flown my A2 for a while and I am in the process of moving it over to my F550. I am waiting for the E300 propulsion system to get out to finish the set up. The last time I flew on the Beta I had a flip and broke a prop. I was told to take off in ATTI and see if that did not change what happened. This has been reported before in this and other forums. It has effected a few of the controllers. It may be a GPS issue but I don't know.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Ed,

Is there any word as to when additional radios (like the JR 9503) will be supported?

THanks,
Bart

Tahoe Ed

Bart,

I own 2 JR9503's. This is the Tx that I used to test the spektrum satellite support. I first bound the satellites to a R921 Rx. Not sure if that was necessary, it goes back to my MK days with satellites. I then bound them to the A2. As far as I know the DJI Traditional to S-Bus is not available at least I have not seen it. I think to be successful with other Tx/Rx combos it will require that piece. This may also hold true for the P2.

Jumpy07

I am flying A2 with original firmware and Taranis / X8R Sbus with 18 channels.. Zenmuse Z15, iOSD, Datalink ec

Only issue I have had so far is odd GPS bug.. (only sees 8 Sats sometimes.. shows GPS mode.. but fly as if its in Atti mode.... and iOSD shows GPS mode.. logged bug with DJi.. reboot fixes issue .now I always wait for more than 8 sats.. think this is also same issue that causes problems when people switch from Atti to GPS and causes fly-aways).

Tahoe Ed

I have them all mapped in Assistant and on my radio. I needed the other channels to control IOC, Mode, RTH, Retracts, and I needed the other 3 to control the Zen. Right now you can only use the F1-4 to output to other devices. So now F1 is for the retracts. I will use the other internal channel to control X1 for gimbal tilt when I mount the H3-2D. F2-4 will be for Z15 Mode, Tilt and Shutter/Record. Theoretically any of the output channels could be mapped, but right now it is limited to the 4 above.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I have them all mapped in Assistant and on my radio. I needed the other channels to control IOC, Mode, RTH, Retracts, and I needed the other 3 to control the Zen. Right now you can only use the F1-4 to output to other devices. So now F1 is for the retracts. I will use the other internal channel to control X1 for gimbal tilt when I mount the H3-2D. F2-4 will be for Z15 Mode, Tilt and Shutter/Record. Theoretically any of the output channels could be mapped, but right now it is limited to the 4 above.

when I read the A2 specs on DJI's website it said direct input from Spektrum/JR satellites is possible but that only the DX8 is supported which led me to believe I wouldn't be able to use all 9 channels on my JR9503. I'm not sure I understand your answer, will all 9 channels function in the A2 with only satellites to relay the signal to the FC system?

Tahoe Ed

Bart,

I was only able to get 8 channels with my JR9503. So the Tx is supported, just not 9 channels with the satellites. People that are getting over 8 channels are using the FASST compatible Rx. Guys with Futaba 14GS are getting up to 14. The system DS16 is spec'd to 16 channels. My 8FGS will not go there. Sorry if my answer was confusing.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Everyone.. the only JR/Spektrum satellites that work or DSM2 NOT DSMX… well under the new firmware at least. When DJI released their first firmware upgrade I got two DSMX satellites bound and working BUT GPS flyways where common. They then released version two in october I think and it is still BETA. I upgraded hoping it would have solved the flyways BUT all it did was totally overwrite everything even the channel mapping and then refused to bind to DSMX. When I did have the satellites bound to my DX18 I had at least 14 channels.

I HAVE to have telemetry to meet my opps manual requirements. So I went down the s-bus conversion using the DJI s=bus converter. Now I have all eight channels that allows but also have another ten if required. I have mapped ALL channels required and everything works but the bloody thing will not recognise loss of TX signal. So it is useless for me as a commercial pilot as I have to have return to home on TX failure. The issue has been reported several times to DJI but all I get is read the manual! Have you read the s-bus section in the manual?!

It would help if they had a 'Report a fault with A2' on this site but it aint there. first I posted it under s800 and was told to post my report under the relevant section but as there aint one for the A2 that is a bit hard to do.

So Tahoe ED IF you have Sydney's ear and he will listen ask him what the hell is going on with 'their IMPOSSIBLY PRECISE -
NEW STANDARD IN FLIGHT CONTROL'. He won't listen to mere mortals like me!

All they seem to care about is box shifting phantoms.. BUT there may be a saviour on the horizon! fingers crossed then anyone serious about flying thousands of pounds worth of equipment will be able to use fully tried and tested controller not released to be beta tested by idiots like me!

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.