tell me what i want

jbrumberg

Sam good basic explanation of battery "C" rating. There is all kinds of "understandable" information available on the internet, and there are a lot of really over-your-head technical sites too. I sat down more than once with a pencil and a piece of paper and took notes and drew diagrams, and banged my head on the desk, and considered other self injurious behaviors etc. and kept at it until a very small led bulb went off in my head with this capacity and discharge concept. If the concept is confusing using eCalc estimates with different battery and prop setups is a good way to start. I also pay very close attention to the components other guys use in their setups if they so post them. If the component mix of their setup works for them it should/could work for me as well.

"Also, it seems the common consensus is to have only power and ground going to the RX from one ESC. You only need signal from the other 3. So the common 4 wire servo cables can be snipped or take the pins out so you don't have redundant power & ground. The place where I got my multiwii board had special cables that were already wired this way eliminating the need for mods."- This is generally true, the KK2.0 and I believe the 2.1 as well can work with this configuration or have powered BEC's going to all 4 motor ports without causing problems. The KK board may be the only FCB that can do this.

COMike93yj

Still Building!
eCalc info for mine....

Thanks for the tips guys!

Scott, I had already read and re-read that FAQ....there are some other good ones out there and I understand the concepts (at least I think).....

Here is what I came up with last night and hopefully it will help the OP......NOTE: the elevation is 8000' because that is the alt that I live at so YMMV.

View attachment 15288

Still trying to figure out the answers to some of what is contained in the report but I will post that up for another thread here on the forums.

Mike :)

EDIT: I finally found the "HELP" section on the eCalc website and it explains a lot of the questions I was concerned about. It is at the top right of the page....

Attachments

• eCalc1.jpg
    eCalc1.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 281
Last edited by a moderator:

i oredered a 4000mah 25c 3s nanotech from ebay, hopefully that works with my setup!? i got a little frustrated and just picked out a size based on what i could find in similar setups

i pretty much loosely built my setup based on the 450 sized quad from OFM (he seems to know his stuff, them things are pricey too) and the oddcopter easy quad build

now i wait..... and wait

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
EVERYONE hates waiting for new toys! :)

i just got to my family's house and although it's raining now - the snow is melted and it looks like I should have some dry time over the next couple days to try this damn thing out finally!!! Put these formulas to the test!!!

jbrumberg

Good luck on the test flights Sam. 7808, Mike, and I will have to wait for our test flight opportunities.

Mike, that air starts getting thin at 8000'. Out of curiosity I am going to throw my numbers into eCalc and use your elevation just to see the difference.

7808, you'll be fine. I hate waiting too. I can only blame myself for the length of my wait. Patience is something that I am still learning and still working on. At 61 years of age I had hoped that I would have grown up by this time.

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Good luck on the test flights Sam. 7808, Mike, and I will have to wait for our test flight opportunities.

Mike, that air starts getting thin at 8000'. Out of curiosity I am going to throw my numbers into eCalc and use your elevation just to see the difference.

7808, you'll be fine. I hate waiting too. I can only blame myself for the length of my wait. Patience is something that I am still learning and still working on. At 61 years of age I had hoped that I would have grown up by this time.

Jay, Yeah it is thin but I'm used to it ;)

Most of my flying will be done upwards of 10,000' to 12,000' as that is where I like to spend most of my time in the mountains! I am catching up on the learning curve rapidly and feel much more comfortable with it today!

Still awaiting parts and still waiting to pull the trigger on motors, props, etc.....by Christmas I should have it all sorted out!

jbrumberg

Mike- My basic setup would not even fly without changing to a larger prop (or larger) according to eCalc (or without reducing weight). Interesting stuff. One thing I can not do is print out those neat graphs and the data for "hard copy" other than my chicken scrawled notes laying all over the place.

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Mike- My basic setup would not even fly without changing to a larger prop (or larger) according to eCalc (or without reducing weight). Interesting stuff. One thing I can not do is print out those neat graphs and the data for "hard copy" other than my chicken scrawled notes laying all over the place.

Jay,

I simply hit "Prnt Scrn" and copy that to the paint program on the computer. Then I just size it to fit and print. Works pretty good but it would be nice if there was a print option! I too have pieces of paper laying around with miscellaneous notes scrawled all over them! Time to get organized!!!!!

got parts the other day, still waiting on the rest. assembling everything with 1 hex key and tiny screws was not fun

Attachments

• CAM01452.jpg
    CAM01452.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 184

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
That's good looking so far. Do you have a hex driver? Best investment. Way better than the L shaped old school versions.

What kind of bike is that in the background????

thanks

i picked up a little kit today with small bits and a little ratcheting driver, sucked i didnt have it yesterday night, after a few drinks it was getting aggravating

the bike is a 05 zx10r - gota keep my mind off it in the winter with other toys and projects lol

these slow fly props - do the "R" props go in the back rotors? does the markings face up or not matter?

note: the extended landing legs for the sk450 have some weight to them, they probably almost double the weight of the bare frame

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
THIS shows the orientation/direction of the props. The R is for right, or clockwise. The others will go CCW. The writing should be up - it is on mine. But if you take a look at the prop you'll see that it would only function 1 way.

Cant wait for for spring for the bikes..... Rebuilding 3 right now.

THIS shows the orientation/direction of the props. The R is for right, or clockwise. The others will go CCW. The writing should be up - it is on mine. But if you take a look at the prop you'll see that it would only function 1 way.

Cant wait for for spring for the bikes..... Rebuilding 3 right now.

ah thanks.

yeah i checked out your site, ive had a few old jap bikes but i didnt restore them more opposite - chopped them

i got 8 and 9" props so we will see how that goes. i just stuck the 9" ones on to see how it looked, none of the spacers that came with them seemed to easily fit to center the props on the shaft, but i didnt really spend much time trying. will update when my other parts show from malaysia

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Did you get the accessory pack with the motors??? The size of the spacer will need to match the prop adapter meant to fit that motor/shaft. Should be some type of collet adapter.

I have one Yamaha I'm going to be chopping (it's already chopped a bit - but done poorly). It will be my first bobber build, and I'm looking forward to thinking outside the box on this one. Redid an old 1993 Yam FZR 600 a while back. Totally state-of-the-art at the time, and WAY behind the curve compared to any modern bike :) Had to swap in some R6 shocks and braking system. Made the thing ride like a dream. That's the only sport bike I've ever messed with.

jbrumberg

"...... it was getting aggravating". And painful I think that I got carpal tunnel syndrome from bolting everything together on that HAL frame. I also was able to find the "accessory" landing legs for the frame and ordered them as well- more protection for the motors, possibly aid in fine tuning alignment (if necessary), and for a lower profile use.

".....
when my other parts show from malaysia". :02.47-tranquillity: I keep telling myself :02.47-tranquillity: :blue:

Did you get the accessory pack with the motors??? The size of the spacer will need to match the prop adapter meant to fit that motor/shaft. Should be some type of collet adapter.

I have one Yamaha I'm going to be chopping (it's already chopped a bit - but done poorly). It will be my first bobber build, and I'm looking forward to thinking outside the box on this one. Redid an old 1993 Yam FZR 600 a while back. Totally state-of-the-art at the time, and WAY behind the curve compared to any modern bike :) Had to swap in some R6 shocks and braking system. Made the thing ride like a dream. That's the only sport bike I've ever messed with.

View attachment 15382
i built that and sold it a while later, ah regrets

and i did get the accessory pack

Attachments

• chop2.JPG
    chop2.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 346

"...... it was getting aggravating". And painful I think that I got carpal tunnel syndrome from bolting everything together on that HAL frame. I also was able to find the "accessory" landing legs for the frame and ordered them as well- more protection for the motors, possibly aid in fine tuning alignment (if necessary), and for a lower profile use.

".....
when my other parts show from malaysia". :02.47-tranquillity: I keep telling myself :02.47-tranquillity: :blue:
ah crap, is it that bad? mine already says shipped so i was hoping to see them in the next week or so