buy new Nano QX or the discontinued MQX

Mr. T

Was about to pull the trigger on a MQX at hobby zone. The rep Mike made the comment that MQX is dicontinued (thats why its only $49) and replaced by the Nano QX. He stated it has the SAFE technology. In safe mode you control the muted craft and if you get into trouble, just let go of the stick(s) and it will correct itself. one does have the option of turning it off. My question:

I'm just learning, would the nano be better for me or am I hindering my skill development by dumbing down (or letting the craft fly for me when i get into trouble) the craft at first.

bensid54

I have a QX it's better than a flight sim and way more fun I'm not familiar with the MQX so I can't comment on those. On my QX I learned the basics in all sorts of conditions inside or outside and it can take a four story drop to pavement and come away with no damage, love that little machine. Hopefully someone with a MQX will chime in.

Mr. T

Thanks Bensid54 for your input. Do you still fly it with your SAFE mode turned on? And What controller do you use with it?

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
the nano has autolevel functions. the mqx does not. it only holds the angle it is in. So an mqx is a sharper learning curve than the nano qx and its SAFE mode

bensid54

I fly in safe mode all the time, I find manual mode is way too wild for me. The QX also needs to be plugged in on a level surface or it will fly sideways too or a least always wanting to list even in safe mode.

Mr. T

@ Sixshooterstang
So when u say sharp learning curve I'm assuming u mean it is more difficult learn. Thank you for your answers!

Have u flown both and if so which would u want to learn from and which controller would u use.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. T

The QX also needs to be plugged in on a level surface or it will fly sideways too or a least always wanting to list even in safe mode.

I'm not sure what u mean be by "needs to be plugged in on a level surface". What do u plug it into? What controller do u use?

FlyGirl

I'm not sure what u mean be by "needs to be plugged in on a level surface". What do u plug it into? What controller do u use?

Hi there! He means that when you plug the battery into the quad you must set it down quickly on a flat level surface so the gyro initializes when the craft is level.... That's how it knows what attitude is level in flight.

I learned to fly on my MQX and got another one that was on discount last week. Well worth it for me. I went through a lot of spare parts in breaking my MQX over the course of time so a new one for as cheap as they were, was a no brainer.

But flying wise I love the Nano QX. It is really fast. The SAFE flying is slick. Keeps it balanced and is much much easier to fly than the MQX. The Nano is the way to go. It does have an agility mode that you can switch in to, but I would not recommend it for a new flyer. The nano is very difficult to control in agility mode if you are not used to it. That is where learning to fly on the MQX came in handy.

I love the speed an agility of the Nano QX. It has amazing yaw, great vertical and it is very very stable in SAFE mode.

When you plug the battery in on either the QX or the MQX it must be on a level surface. On power up it sets that angle to be level. It can cause for unleveled flight.

Mr. T

Hi there! He means that when you plug the battery into the quad you must set it down quickly on a flat level surface so the gyro initializes when the craft is level.... That's how it knows what attitude is level in flight.
Thanks for your help...it is appreciated. I'm learning alot here.

Mr. T

MulticopterFPV:

By what you have told me I can now make my descision. I have be hem hawing for a few days. I will get the BNF setup and then buy the controller. Any suggestions on that one?

HEY I FORGOT TO ASK, WHAT IS A REALISTIC FLIGHT TIME DO YOU GET OFF A SINGLE NANO BATTERY AND DO THEY HAVE LARGER BATTERIES? thanks
-Terry

FlyGirl

MulticopterFPV:

By what you have told me I can now make my descision. I have be hem hawing for a few days. I will get the BNF setup and then buy the controller. Any suggestions on that one?

HEY I FORGOT TO ASK, WHAT IS A REALISTIC FLIGHT TIME DO YOU GET OFF A SINGLE NANO BATTERY AND DO THEY HAVE LARGER BATTERIES? thanks
-Terry

I never had the Nano or the MQX but I've flown similar small quads that use the same batteries. It is about 5 or 6 minutes on a battery depending on how hard you are pushing the motors. There are higher mAH batteries but the higher you go, the larger and heavier the battery gets and may not fit into the battery bay. What I did with my small quads was to just buy a couple of extra batteries. When I fly my V-959 or Syma X-1, I generally have 4 packs with me for each. Wish I had 4 packs for the 450 Flame Wheel... :(

Glad you are getting good info! Thank you for asking the questions!

bensid54

The Blade products all like the Spectrum or JR radio systems. I myself use a Spectrum DXi6 radio for my QX which works well on the machine and I use a Futaba 12FG for my 450 Flamewheel and Naza light controller and hopefully a Fat Shark soon. I prefer the Futaba system because of quality, reliability and experience, been a Futaba man for the last 35 years and likely will stay that way. After the QX which direction will you be going as far as this hobby goes?

Mr. T

I use a Futaba 12FG for my 450 Flamewheel and Naza light controller and hopefully a Fat Shark soon. I prefer the Futaba system because of quality, reliability and experience, been a Futaba man for the last 35 years and likely will stay that way. After the QX which direction will you be going as far as this hobby goes?

Hi Bensid54,

I read that people cross over from spektrum to Futaba and rarely the otherway. Kind of like people cross over from PC to APPLE and rarely the other way or, in the case of controllers, return to spektrum.

I know it is a long haul and very expensive, but I would like to eventually go commercial with this, especially on the Video side. I love flying. I see so much potential as to the application of drones, I feel that we are at the ground floor, still, in regards to who is out there doing this commercially. I have a very artistic side that I feel will be crucial to success. Its a matter of training/experiences, persistance, and due diligence to success. Which brings me to an important point: Since I am just starting out, if anyone out there who is now doing this commercially, could please give me basic direction towards this goal in hopes of not waisting time and efforts by developing bad habits with flying and/or avoiding pitfalls in this type of commercial application, I would be very gratefull. Thank you Ben for asking the question.

-Terry

AUsome

I never had the Nano or the MQX but I've flown similar small quads that use the same batteries. It is about 5 or 6 minutes on a battery depending on how hard you are pushing the motors. There are higher mAH batteries but the higher you go, the larger and heavier the battery gets and may not fit into the battery bay. What I did with my small quads was to just buy a couple of extra batteries. When I fly my V-959 or Syma X-1, I generally have 4 packs with me for each. Wish I had 4 packs for the 450 Flame Wheel... :(

Glad you are getting good info! Thank you for asking the questions!

I got the Nano QX yesterday...and got 2 charges out of the USB charger, and now the charger appears to be 'belly up', bit the big one, deep sixed, fried...well, you get the point. Anyway, will see if I can get the store to correct this, but if not, will see about replacing the charger. Are these chargers not very good? i mean, 2 charges and already broken... Did I just get a bad one? Or should I go ahead and get a handful if they are that unreliable.

Glad y'all posted about the need to be on a level surface. Maybe THAT accounts for at least part of my problem with trees...I held in my hand while it went through binding. Doh!

And thanks FlyGirl for the suggestions on how to learn to fly. Makes sense and once I get a new charger, will begin in earnest to actually LEARN to fly, rather than just enjoying driving the dogs nuts. They are NOT big fans.

FlyGirl

I got the Nano QX yesterday...and got 2 charges out of the USB charger, and now the charger appears to be 'belly up', bit the big one, deep sixed, fried...well, you get the point. Anyway, will see if I can get the store to correct this, but if not, will see about replacing the charger. Are these chargers not very good? i mean, 2 charges and already broken... Did I just get a bad one? Or should I go ahead and get a handful if they are that unreliable.

Glad y'all posted about the need to be on a level surface. Maybe THAT accounts for at least part of my problem with trees...I held in my hand while it went through binding. Doh!

And thanks FlyGirl for the suggestions on how to learn to fly. Makes sense and once I get a new charger, will begin in earnest to actually LEARN to fly, rather than just enjoying driving the dogs nuts. They are NOT big fans.

Don't get me wrong! Messin' with the dog is good fun! LOL! I think you just got a bad charger.... They don't often go bad like that but the need for a good charger will come soon so getting a quality one isn't necessarily a bad thing :)

AUsome

Don't get me wrong! Messin' with the dog is good fun! LOL! I think you just got a bad charger.... They don't often go bad like that but the need for a good charger will come soon so getting a quality one isn't necessarily a bad thing :)

The two little guys just want to kill it...my big bad wolf (wolf hybrid), just runs and hides. It was so bad, he wanted to spend the night in bed with us. Candy-***. LOL.

Mr. T

The two little guys just want to kill it...my big bad wolf (wolf hybrid), just runs and hides. It was so bad, he wanted to spend the night in bed with us. Candy-***. LOL.
I know my springer spaniel would do just that...SPRING and he would be crunching down on it by the time his paws hit the ground. Maybe if the nano was in the color red....that big bad wolf wouldnt be afraid.

Mr. T

Congrats!!...have fun with it. Keep us posted on how it goes. I think I am going to order my nano today with about 6-10 batteries and 3-6 chargers. And I think I will go with spektrum and get dx8 or 9. I cant wait.