BNUC-s vs. RPQ-s?

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
5.8 approval has been put on hold for the moment until more is known about the robustness of the link. 2.4GHz is well known and proven but with 5.8 being a higher frequency, this means that it has a lower range and penetration. Most people using 5.8 for their video links use clover leaf antenna to get the range they need (admittedly, transmitting from the aircraft rather than the handset means a 25mw minimum but even then most operators I have seen are using well over 25mw) yet DJI's handset still uses a stick antenna which isn't so good.

The point about the 5.8 command link is that DJI want to use 2.4 as the video link purely so that an iPad/iPhone can be used to view the video feed live. You do not want to be mixing command and video on the same frequency as one will cancel the other out (ie using two separate links using the same freq- Lightbridge works because it uses one link that deals with both video and command). So, if you are going to use an aircraft for professional purposes I would stick with a 2.4 command link and a 5.8 video link. These are kind of the industry standards and by sticking to these you will be able to grow you fleet in terms of capability and or numbers without having to start from scratch. Well, those are my thoughts anyway...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jumpy07

The European Phantom 2V uses 25mw on 5.8ghz.. for other parts of the world it outputs 125mw on 5.8ghz (CEE 25mw, FCC 135mw)

So using a Euro Spec legal power Phantom 2V in UK is significantly worse and will have VERY limited range.. DJi state range of 300m for Euro Spec.. which is obviously less than CAA PFAW 500m

The Flying Cam

Well it's great there is competition now, I know that an entire country has dropped BNUC but I cannot tell you where. The UK is still moving towards PPL(U) and CPL(U)

I am about to embark on a BNUC course next month and this has all been very interesting. Does anyone know which country dropped BNUC?

A great thread.

Thought I'd chip in and say I have now also booked on the Sept/Oct Resource ground school in S.Wales. The feedback from here and elsewhere is almost universally negative about BNUC, they appear more wedded to their own process and admin than the needs of the UAV community. Getting a manual already approved by the CAA rejected is really poor.

If anyone else is booked on the same course, would love to hear from you.

Mike

After much research, I choose to do the RPQs course with Resource Group. It was fantastic! The team are great and best of all they are extremely knowledgable and love a question round. I passed my RPQs ground school and also my flight test, just need to finish my OPs manual now.

After much research, I choose to do the RPQs course with Resource Group. It was fantastic! The team are great and best of all they are extremely knowledgable and love a question round. I passed my RPQs ground school and also my flight test, just need to finish my OPs manual now.

Good to hear and well done :)

Buzz_Roavr

Daft question I know but do you need to take an observer for the flight test or is it theoretical how you brief them etc.

It depends on the tasking they give you I guess. I would say you back brief one of the Resource staff and get them to be an observer if your risk assessment / site survey highlights that as a requirement?

I have been super impressed with Resource Group too. Could you advise what I'm likely to have to do on a flight test with the Phantom? Any particular manoeuvres? Also, do they let you refer to the reference cards during the test. (E.g. Emergency procedures?)

Buzz_Roavr

You'll struggle to refer to anything and fly safe. Best to know your procedures inside and out.

No particular manoeuvres you just need to plan and carry out the tasking safely. You did need to be a capable pilot.

Stratifier

Hi all, very interesting thread, that made me changing my mind and go for Resource rather than Euro USC, at the very last minute! I have my ground school in Worcester in August and I'm studying hard at the moment. I have many questions such as what is this 2/3 days course made of ? Is it a repeat of the online material or completely new stuff? I believe I've been reading that you can't take the studying material to review the day at the hotel, and must rely on your notes only? For me as a non english native speaker that might complicate things and be a problem. Well maybe not I don't know. Also, about the practice exam, I do a fair deal of simulator in training mode (Aero Sim), hovering and landing in moving circles, in all directons, I hate diagonals... :) Is it something I should expect on the exam?
Just need to know a bit more... Thanks

I spoke to Craig from Resource UAS at Farnborough have not had enough time in the UK to get a course in will come back!

Buzz_Roavr

1st day is intro then a test on the web based training. Rest of first day is Air Law.

2nd day is all classroom training.

3rd day is exam in the am and pm is practical tasking a.

All I can say is enjoy the web based training and take it all in. Don't fret and there was a chap who didn't have English as his first language on the course. He did okay.

I don't think it would be fair to break the course right down on the forum but I found it very enjoyable and worth the fee.

You'll be given everything you need to revise and have free access to it except obviously during the test.