Hoverfly What Makes Good Aerial Video

Av8Chuck

There's a lot of great footage that they could have used. I imagine they would have used more of your footage if the stadium wasn't empty and there's nothing you could do about that.

I think Dave's point about the more a director knows your capabilities the more likely they are to use you is spot on. Once you've passed the "audition" so to speak and your on set the first thing I'm going to want to know is how safe this is, can you yank and bank this thing while maintaining control, what kind of devices could potentially cause a loss of control and what happens if you lose control. As a director I want to know that your doing everything you can to mitigate as much risk as possible and I'm not going to assume you are.

The next thing I'd want to know is what the flight path has to be to give me the POV I want so you need to be prepared to tell me what lenses I should be considering and the only way your going to know that is by practicing with different lenses. The higher up the production food chain you go the more these sorts of details become relevant and the more capable you have to be to be able to repeat the shot.

Most of the people shooting AP with RC's probably don't shoot with a camera that the lens can be changed but that can create a dangerous situation because the MR might have to fly much closer to people to get the shot than is safe.

Clearly the guy that shot the Bench ad new what he/she was doing, not only in how to integrate aerial footage but good cinematography techniques to get a real sense of the story. The Boise State video was a collection of cool shots, which isn't a bad thing but not probably as effective.

Aerovideo

Don't know if your interested in this sort of thing but this guy has a lot of fairly interesting FREE tutorials on all sorts of film making techniques: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhbZRc2tntg&list=PL3AF9B2B010B69D0C

Actually here's a list of the tutorials:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3AF9B2B010B69D0C

Thanks Chuck those look great, subscribed!

Aerial camera angles are just that - another camera angle.
Overuse of any angles/techniques are just irritating.
Tell a story, but not one about flying cameras.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/winged-migration/

Holy COW! How did they get some of those shots? I almost have to call CG on some of those... hehe ;)

I've been off line for a week and WOW a whole "class-in-a-thread" pops up...and Paul, thru the goalposts next time please. Only thing I can add, and it may have been said, is the old time honored landscape rule of morning/evening will always be a useful tool. Long shadows, warm colors and sun glint never go out of date (if used sparingly). Sage advice above. I'm copying and pasting it all to a Word doc so I can study it thoroughly before I go out on my next shoot.

Aerovideo

I agree, this thread has some great advice and some good tips and ideas to boot. I really hope we can keep it going. I knew this would be a good place to post this. While the Hoverfly talk is almost nonexistent... I still think it's frequented by a high percentage of gracious professionals willing to help.

Earl (Paul), I do like the early and late sun light unfortunately I'm not a morning person so that's almost always out for me... hehe :) Looking back at my Stanley video I probably should have cut out the high noon shots and just stuck with the sunrise/sunset ones.

Av8Chuck

Its great that people like this thread, it would be better if we continued contributing to it. Are things really this slow in the MR world?

Its great that people like this thread, it would be better if we continued contributing to it. Are things really this slow in the MR world?

I agree. This definitely beats the main Multirotor threads which tends to work on the overload principle plus Aerovideo always finds the right topics to talk about (check who's posts get the most traffic). The Hoverfly forum is still a huge resource - a nugget like this comes along and 15 minutes later, you're a bit smarter for dropping by.

DennyR

I worked with Tom King in the early days of WaterSki International which was a long time ago, so I was pleased to see he is still knocking their eyeballs out with creative stuff. This is a good example of how AP compliments your production without letting it get too boring.

I suppose you would rather see 3 laps of the garden shed shot in crappy light with the horizon on the piss and with a 2 min. intro of the grass and dust being blown all over the front lens element. All shot with a 5D and a twenty kilo contraption that is poised to kill someone. How did I know this was a waist of time.....

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

I worked with Tom King in the early days of WaterSki International which was a long time ago, so I was pleased to see he is still knocking their eyeballs out with creative stuff. This is a good example of how AP compliments your production without letting it get too boring.

I suppose you would rather see 3 laps of the garden shed shot in crappy light with the horizon on the piss and with a 2 min. intro of the grass and dust being blown all over the front lens element. All shot with a 5D and a twenty kilo contraption that is poised to kill someone. Oh and don't forget to have your own shadow in the shot and repeat the same clip ad infinitum . How did I know this was a waist of time..

Bowley

I have to shoot the aerial element of a web based add for a new super bright bike lights supplier, has to be done at night in the dark obviously, Gopro is out the equation, gonna test my 600D if thats not up to the job it will have to be the 7D,
Any advice or suggestions on night shooting, settings or good cameras for the job? wondered how camcorders such as sony CX series handle night shooting AS A CX410 has been on the wish list for a while now anyway.

DennyR

If you have a 5D or a 550D which I prefer then you need to reflash it to Magic lantern and then you can shoot raw. This will give you the dynamic range. You could always consider shooting it before dark and then you could probably use a GoPro which has a lot more chance of working for you. And you can get some good results with GoPro cineform stuff to darken it and stabilise it. If its for the web then why not go that route.

Breezemont

This is a good example of how AP compliments your production without letting it get too boring.
Really well done.
Lots of very creative angles and techniques that are pleasing yet don't dominate the story.
Excellent editing.
Much like the theory that a developer should never debug his own program, the DP or shooter should not be the editor if at all possible. It's just way too easy to fall in love with your own process - and as the cameraman it's very difficult to be cold-hearted-editor enough to cut a scene that took monumental effort, even if it doesn't work for the film.
A good editor shouldn't care that you almost killed yourself to get that shot... sorry. :tennis:

Bowley

If you have a 5D or a 550D which I prefer then you need to reflash it to Magic lantern and then you can shoot raw. This will give you the dynamic range. You could always consider shooting it before dark and then you could probably use a GoPro which has a lot more chance of working for you. And you can get some good results with GoPro cineform stuff to darken it and stabilise it. If its for the web then why not go that route.

Cheers Denny, I have ML installed on 600D, I'll check out the options when I get home. gopro is not an option I've used in low light and to much noise even with the 3.
The video is to demonstrate super bright lights used at night, I think to shoot in light and darken it in post wouldn't really show what is supposed to be seen.

DennyR

Bowley
It was about thirty years ago that I first started producing night aerials when other people in the industry just could not see how it was possible, especially with 400 asa film in a MF camera. Film had a better latitude than the first digital cameras so the technique that I used was to shoot the scene when the street lights came on and the sky still had some light to reflect down. I would then bracket the exposures +1 and +2 stops. Thus the first HDR techniques were born. In my opinion you can do what you need to do with a GoPro if you shoot it at dusk, but if you want to cover the entire range of tones in full cinematic quality (which I don't think you need) then you need a raw camera that can use manual exposure and HDR bracketing. Either way you need to be quite proficient with Photoshop for the stills and the many other tools of the trade for the video. This technique is still used today (by the people who do it for a living), even with the best DSLRs out there because you can see into every part of the shadow detail and not blow out the highlights. The skill level when working in HDR was the key to success but now it's a lot easier with dedicated software.

Bowley

Coincidentally I was just playing around with HDR last night using RAW file conversions 2 stops over, 2 under and normal, never used that technique before. your right I dont need cinematic quality, its web stuff
I'll certainly test out the gopro at dusk with some bright directional lights and see how it edits up beforehand.

Av8Chuck

If the lights are as bright as you say then I too suggest shooting early morning or dusk. If the lights are bright you should be able to stop down and make it appear being sh

Bowley, see this video and the behind the scenes link in the video description.

They are flying a dslr. My experience has show the gopro to be weak in low light, even the 3 black.

Bowley

Bowley, see this video and the behind the scenes link in the video description.

They are flying a dslr. My experience has show the gopro to be weak in low light, even the 3 black.

Cheers, dont know if its my dodgy connection, but can't see a link