Hoverfly What Makes Good Aerial Video

Aerovideo

Hi Paul,

I have a HFPro board that has never been used that I'm selling, if your interested in making some sort of trade for your Quaternium gimbal let me know.

I'm always interested in spare HFPro boards but it would be difficult to separate the quaternium gimbals from the quad frame as it uses a rail system. Now if you're talking about my handheld gimbal... hehe no way, I love that thing! ;)

Av8Chuck

Yeah, I was talking about the handheld gimbal, although I thought they were one in the same? Which Gimbal are you flying?

DennyR

Just to keep things straight, it's 2.7k @30fps and 1080 ultra wide @48

Or for PAL it's 25 and 50 fps. What I especially like about it is the vibrant colors and the sharpness, viewed on a retina display it looks a lot better than the Nex. whereas Vimeo and Youtube don't do it justice a good tip is to incorporate Sorensen Squeeze into your workflow for compression to get better color rendition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Or for PAL it's 25 and 50 fps. What I especially like about it is the vibrant colors and the sharpness, viewed on a retina display it looks a lot better than the Nex. whereas Vimeo and Youtube don't do it justice a good tip is to incorporate Sorensen Squeeze into your workflow for compression to get better color rendition.

Great tip on the SS. I was kinda wondering how GoPro gets those spectacular results when they post their promo videos. That, and they probably go through about ten cameras until they find one that's sharp.

DennyR

It is possible to refocus the standard lens but if you are going to take it apart then why not put a 60 deg lens in there. I don't yet have a 60 deg lens yet as I get by ok with the various correction software that I have, but I believe it will be a good solution to have at least one camera with 60 deg.

Heres another tip that you may find useful if you use a Phantom with Zenmuse H3-2D. Always transport the model inverted. The lens is easily damaged if it comes into contact with the carpet in the back of a car. vibration from the road will put a nice rub mark on the lens if it's not covered. Yes I had this happen once. I was able to polish it out without any noticeable adverse effects but a silly mistake that can catch you out. Also never land with the camera facing down. I always catch the model by hand.

jfro

Aerial Fun
IMO, any good aerial filming/video/photography starts with framing, movement, smoothness and ends with proper exposure. That said, I'm finding I'm flying my little quad with gopro3 & gimbal a lot more. It's a great little setup provided there's not much wind. My problem is I can't stand the auto exposure on the GoPro3. The sky is often overexposed so at times, I end up having to change the framing to get decent exposure... When I manually expose on my other camera's, I first expose to the sky then check my dark areas and adjust from there. Sometimes it's a compromise but I at least get some color or detail in the sky that I can use.

If ND or Polarizer filter is the answer, then it needs to be light as the gopro gimbal isn't built for much more weight. I'm using the Tarot Goprogimbal

Any suggestions?

ps.... Come on GoPro, give us manual exposure!

Shooting in Protune and manual white balance gives you a little more latitude. Looks all washed out and fuzzy when it comes out of the camera but bringing out the sky in post is a bit more doable.

DennyR

Yeah for sure there is no problem with Protune and auto white balance. It's a bit like shooting in raw or HDR. As for the 60 deg. lens I have one coming and will give it a good test. What I think is really cool about it is the way it maintains the full 4K of the sensor and the Wide. It also has macro so the depth of field must be pretty good.

Stacky

Back on to the original topic I have been finding with my various doodlings in the air that little things i do while flying can mean a good or bad shot. For example if I am doing a simple run along a beach if I dont run a clean line and move around a little during the pass I end up with footage that doesnt quite look right. The video side of things is fun but to get decent footage aside from the multirotors technical bits getting the right sorts of angles and movements makes such a huge difference. I need more batteries.... If I have a particular angle i want to shoot im needing to make multiple passes at it. At the moment Im basically just going up for a fpv flight, hooning around for the length of a battery and then grabbing the bits I like out of a flights footage. Im going to need to plan shots if I am going to improve my footage. Its all done rather randomly at present.
So far Im finding long runs need to be consistent in direction, for me if there are lateral movements in the runs it just starts to look bad. Also changes in altitude if not done in a way they look planned can be distracting too.
Im also finding my panning shots need more thought, too fast and they dont give enough time to take in whats on view and too slow and they can sometimes look laboured.

Maverick

IMO, any good aerial filming/video/photography starts with framing, movement, smoothness and ends with proper exposure. That said, I'm finding I'm flying my little quad with gopro3 & gimbal a lot more. It's a great little setup provided there's not much wind. My problem is I can't stand the auto exposure on the GoPro3. The sky is often overexposed so at times, I end up having to change the framing to get decent exposure... When I manually expose on my other camera's, I first expose to the sky then check my dark areas and adjust from there. Sometimes it's a compromise but I at least get some color or detail in the sky that I can use.

If ND or Polarizer filter is the answer, then it needs to be light as the gopro gimbal isn't built for much more weight. I'm using the Tarot Goprogimbal

Any suggestions?

ps.... Come on GoPro, give us manual exposure!

Here you go jfro : http://www.lumenier.com/news/56-the-qav540g-launches-2

jes1111

Be careful with a polarizing filter on a GoPro - you're likely to get an uneven darkening of the sky - the angle of polarization of the sun's light varies continuously with the angle from the sun. With a lens wider than about 28mm (in 35mm film terms) the sky will be unevenly polarized. On a GoPro's fisheye lens it's pretty much guaranteed you'll get an uneven effect in the sky. Here's a good example:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filters.htm#widePOL

Bryharv

For me, I think the magic of this tool is all about shots that emphasize movement, not just a high aerial perspective. I like to use it almost like a jib. I tell my clients that this does not replace a full sized helicopter - it's better than a helicopter. This is true (for many shots, not all), because of the proximity that you can get to what you are shooting. Interesting subject matter also is important!

https://vimeo.com/77182004

password: flyingcamera

Stacky

Loved it Bryan, Im hoping to get to Burning Man sometime in the next couple of years, must have been a great place to be filming.

Av8Chuck

That was amazing on so many levels. Not only great aerial perspectives that you wouldn't even think were shot from a MR, great cinematography, editing, subject and music. With the state of camera's today I always say if you want cool shots point the camera at something cool. It doesn't get much cooler than that.

Really nice work.

jfro

Aerial Fun

That doesn't seem to be released yet...

I have this one on the way. http://www.polarprofilters.com/shop/frame-polarizer-glass-filter-hero3-gopro/
I had purchased their nd filter a while back and it was sitting on a shelf. Opened it up and gave it a try today. Didn't help the GoPro's tendency to overexpose the sky in when it's a background. I emailed them asking if the polarizer might help in places where ice/snow/or water wasn't involved and they thought it would. Great Company because they are swapping my ND for the Polarizer as they have a satisfaction guarantee.

Bryharv You have a good eye and some flying talent. Nice footage. Were you in manual exposure on the beach scene when you shot directly into the sunset (3:19)?

The partial blown out sky at 2:30 and 2:35 is what my GoPro does all the time and it bugs me. Funny, I didn't notice it the first time I watched your reel. I didn't notice it till I went looking for the sunset shot.... Sometimes we get to caught up in perfection and forget about content.....

Again, good stuff!

Av8Chuck

Here's my first aerial video, I used a GoPro Hero1 and a polarizer, worked pretty well but the Hero1 just slowed the shutter down down to compensate. Made for more realistic motion blur but that's about it.

The Hero 3+ is amazing for what it is but you won't get anything nearly as good as Bryharv posted with a GoPro...

Aerovideo

For me, I think the magic of this tool is all about shots that emphasize movement, not just a high aerial perspective. I like to use it almost like a jib. I tell my clients that this does not replace a full sized helicopter - it's better than a helicopter. This is true (for many shots, not all), because of the proximity that you can get to what you are shooting. Interesting subject matter also is important!

Holy cow that was cool, loved everything about it. Just curious, why password protect it?

Thanks for sharing!

Maverick

That doesn't seem to be released yet...

I have this one on the way. http://www.polarprofilters.com/shop/frame-polarizer-glass-filter-hero3-gopro/
I had purchased their nd filter a while back and it was sitting on a shelf. Opened it up and gave it a try today. Didn't help the GoPro's tendency to overexpose the sky in when it's a background. I emailed them asking if the polarizer might help in places where ice/snow/or water wasn't involved and they thought it would. Great Company because they are swapping my ND for the Polarizer as they have a satisfaction guarantee.

Bryharv You have a good eye and some flying talent. Nice footage. Were you in manual exposure on the beach scene when you shot directly into the sunset (3:19)?

The partial blown out sky at 2:30 and 2:35 is what my GoPro does all the time and it bugs me. Funny, I didn't notice it the first time I watched your reel. I didn't notice it till I went looking for the sunset shot.... Sometimes we get to caught up in perfection and forget about content.....

Again, good stuff!

It IS released, because I have one!

http://www.getfpv.com/polarized-lens-for-layerlens-for-gopro-3-1pcs.html

tombrown1

One of the best I've ever seen. Great work.