WKM IMU position on the vibration absorber setup

Hi folks,

Just upgraded my stock S800 with the vibration absorber mounts from dji. The IMU now sits behind on a new plate on the bipod, to take advantage of the damping. I'm sue many of you have seen it.
I'd like to share my position entries to verify with any of you who've made this upgrade. Or if youve seen a post, can u share?

IMU Mounting Entries on WKM assistant:

IMU pointing forward

X -17cm
y 0 cm
z 5 cm

Thanks

Fj, I'm not at home to confirm my numbers, but I'm quite sure my Z axis is about 20 or 21cm once I determined my vertical COG (which was about 2cm below the bottom plate for me). Which of the GPS mounts are you using? I believe I'm using the longest one.
If I remember correclty, my my X (and Y) is the same as yours.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I am using... -19mm for X, 0 for y and close to 5cm for z as my batteries are on the bottom......works very well for me.....on an RCT800.
Hi folks,

Just upgraded my stock S800 with the vibration absorber mounts from dji. The IMU now sits behind on a new plate on the bipod, to take advantage of the damping. I'm sue many of you have seen it.
I'd like to share my position entries to verify with any of you who've made this upgrade. Or if youve seen a post, can u share?

IMU Mounting Entries on WKM assistant:

IMU pointing forward

X -17cm
y 0 cm
z 5 cm

Thanks

Had a successful flight yesterday. Eventhough I had no camera on the Zenmuse, making the S880 somewhat unbalanced, the hover tests looked stable, with solid control, and the quick 3 min flight went without incident.
Thanks again guys for your input.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Dude, leave the camera on when the Zenmuse is powered up. It puts a strain on it otherwise. Didn't it vibrate and hum without a camera? And centre of gravity is key! Reduces vibes, controls are more accurate. Just saying...

Glad flight went well!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ben, you're right. Not a good idea. However, I took some measures to make sure the was some sort of balance and protection to the Zenmuse. I disconnected power from the Zen letting it flow freely, and zip tied an old 4500 mah to the front of the bipod as a weight to give some counter balance to my heavy battery in the back. i did three 30 sec hovers to no more than 4 - 5ft, no linear movements and no yaw. But nevertheless, by no means, the right way to do this. Not condoning it either. I appreciate the head's up. Thanks

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Well that doesn't sound so bad then. Sorry for sounding preachy. My friendly disposition does not come across when I type! Have fun with it mate! I love my S800 personally. A few niggles but great quality video nonetheless.

Thanks Ben, it is because of dispositions like yours these forums are soooo valuable. I appreciate and welcome comments from you and the seasoned pilots here. My nex 7 comes in today, so finally I'll get to share some views of Puerto Rico from the POV of an S800. (I have some Hero3 footage from my smaller hex, but we'll get to those later...) And hope you won't mind the occasional requests to share your input. Happy Multi-Flyin.

Hasta ahora me doy cuenta que eres de PR. You soy de Costa Rica (aunque vivo en Iowa ahorita) y voy a llevar mi S800 ahí en setiembre. Disfrute!

If you look at your wookong M main control from the top, so that you can see the ESC inputs M1 through M6 on your right, you'll notice two input slots above M6. The IMU connects to the input on your top right. Second slot north from M6.
You can also check page 4 of your wookong M quick start guide - if you haven't done so already.

dsirc

I have installed wookong M as shown in the picture

S800_4 by dsirc, on Flickr
so actually I don't have access to IMU connection port. And even if I do this connector doesn't have latch on it so would it be safe to use it?

I don't have the details of your build, but it seems you jumped a step in the process. To get access, you need to unscrew the bottom plate of the s800 main board. It's just a matter of unscrewing quite a few hex screws, connect your IMU, and re-assemble the bottom plate. Here's a video we love, that shows you the whole process works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCbIJ9pZGJk#t=121

About the latchless cable, well, not very safe to fly. The latch is there for a reason. You should try and get the cable, or secure it in some way, although not very wise with a heavy rig like the s800.

By the way dsirc, once you connect the IMU to the MC, using the configuration you showed (let's call it traditional), there's no need to connect/disconnect anymore. Only if you end up using the anti-vibration kit and the new IMU plate which is screwed on the S800 bipod. Just wanted to clarify.

dsirc

Sorry not to describe it clearly form the very beginning - I'm going to install anti-vibration kit (actually I've already installed the dampers and an IMU plate) and now I have to decide how to make the connection of IMU safe and the same time easy to disconnect for transportation.

Sorry not to describe it clearly form the very beginning - I'm going to install anti-vibration kit (actually I've already installed the dampers and an IMU plate) and now I have to decide how to make the connection of IMU safe and the same time easy to disconnect for transportation.
dsirc, I had mine configured pretty close to yours... that is, until I installed the anti vibe kit. Then I had to re-lay everything out totally differently. In short, I moved the MC unit to the top of the top plate right where the IMU was located (center back). I put the side with the motor inputs and the two canbus ports facing forward (towards the center screw). To address the lack of a latch, I use hotglue on both of the canbus plugs that go into the MC to prevent them from sliding/vibrating out.
On other recommendation: put the receiver for the Zenmuse on the Zen itself, or the landing gear. That way it that much less wiring between the landing gear and the hub, making it easier to separate and disassemble for travel.