GoPro Three Black KILLED my MicroSd card

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Full day filming today then camera froze. NO SD card it said.

Just got back to Chalet and disk not recognised!

ALL FOOTAGE OF TODAY GONE

Tried to reformat and the card now has a BAD sector!

AHHHHHHHHH

Anyone had this

Dave

kloner

Aerial DP
yikes

does it have the latest firmware or was it left as sold to you? I haven't lost a sector but i've lost more footage than i've captured and my hero2 was doing the same thing since the protune upgrade.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i learned the hard way to replace SD cards frequently, even if it is only to dump files to a laptop.

sorry to hear it though, are micro SD cards notoriously less reliable than the SD cards used by the original GoPro Hero?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Haven't had that happen Dave, but sorely disapointed with GP3B all in all, I want my 2 back!!

Just wish I had one but lost all mine in fire.. The footage I got today was brilliant, easy to say now its lost but I just kind a new I had some amazing shots..

I will be buying a GP2 as a back up. What about the 3 Black dont you like.. I liked it until today!

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
yikes

does it have the latest firmware or was it left as sold to you? I haven't lost a sector but i've lost more footage than i've captured and my hero2 was doing the same thing since the protune upgrade.

I did the upgrade thing and it said it was all upto date. Not sure what the current known versions is..

Any Idea?

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
i learned the hard way to replace SD cards frequently, even if it is only to dump files to a laptop.

sorry to hear it though, are micro SD cards notoriously less reliable than the SD cards used by the original GoPro Hero?

I ALWAYS dump my cards as soon as I can get to a laptop but unfortunately I have enough stuff to carry up and down ski lifts with out toting a laptop!

I have never had to use micro sd cards before so cant comment on there reliability.

Just really disappointed. Also up here there aint a wealth of shops to be able to buy any new ones. There is a Phone shop which is my only hope. Just dont see them stocking class 10 cards though ;-(

Dave

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
could you reformat it with a laptop back at your room or is it completely lost? sorry to hear this happened, it really sucks losing hard earned footage like that.

so i guess i should hang onto my GoPro 1?

kloner

Aerial DP
mine worked bitchen, then i updated to see the gopro app that works half the time, then on it went to crap....... i was on a shoot using them a while back and mine would only work in two modes to where it wouldn't lockup or crash halfway in..... we used the producers cam that was a bacjup straight from teh stroe and same memory we shot all day in any mode

You can't even buy a hero2 new anymore can you? , it's the hero3 silver now.....

I'd always use the hero to format, i've had really bad luck using a pc.....

ChrisViperM

Hi Dave

Don't fiddle any more with your Micro-SD card (formating or similar). There is tools to recover your images....I'll help you once you are back.

Chris

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Is it easy to revert to old firmware with the gopro? I've had mine for months and not once used it. I keep testing with my gopro1 and 2 thinking it would be less of a loss.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye up.. I have tried using disk utility which reports a bad boot sector.

The MAc wont do anything with it, disk first aid whicg is usually the jobber for sorting stuff wont even touch it :-(

Thanks Chris.. Ill mail you. My biggest dilemma not is getting a new card up here. There is a Intersport that sells GoPros. Its got the biggest stand I have seen but guess what.... they dont sell micro sd cards for the gopros they sell! How mad is that..
They sent me to a mobile phone store which was closed.. how likely do you recon it will be they have a class 10 card of any description!

Just gutted. The forecast is brilliant here, friday night looks like being brilliant for the Northern Lights to..

I hate insurance companies as much as companies that dont hold there hand up to issues with their kit. I have found numerous references to GP3B killing cards but all GP seem to say is that it must be a defective card.. Well I bought my Scandisk from a reputable company so waht more can you do.. The last thing I read was that a guy claims to have a email from GP customer support saying dont use 64gb cards as its a known issue!!!! Known to who?

Grrrr.

hexa

I had this problem in the past. Turn out I was sold a fake sd card by a shop.
Lots of these Kingston and
Other brands cards are fake.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I had this problem in the past. Turn out I was sold a fake sd card by a shop.
Lots of these Kingston and
Other brands cards are fake.

So I bought mine from Amazon.. how do you know if they are fake?

Where do you buy them from to ensure they aint seconds or what ever you want to call them...

OR

Is this just a get out by GoPro?

Dave

Bowley

Just wish I had one but lost all mine in fire.. The footage I got today was brilliant, easy to say now its lost but I just kind a new I had some amazing shots..

I will be buying a GP2 as a back up. What about the 3 Black dont you like.. I liked it until today!

Dave

Its not that there is anything about it that I dont like apart from the freezing issue in my case, I just find that in essence the sole advantage for me is that I can shoot in 1080 50p in narrow, instead of 1080 25p narrow...thats just about it. and that alone in my mind was barely worth the money given the issues around it and having to use micro SD cards and pesky mini USB AV connector, I bought an RC Shutter lead for it adding to the expense.
I also find that my PC has a hard time dealing with the files.
Hope you get your files back and manage to source another SD card. That aside, have some great skiing!!

ghaynes

Dave I went through 2 H3Blacks. Multiple freezes when you least expected and the support answer was to remove the battery. Got a refund. They seem to either work brilliantly or crash and burn out of the box. The comments for the item on Amazon are probably the worst I have ever seen for a product. Bummer because the H2 was trouble free.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
The comments for the item on Amazon are probably the worst I have ever seen for a product. Bummer because the H2 was trouble free.

Just did not read them or look for issues. I just expected it to work the same as the GoPro 2 but better!

Dave

plingboot

Dave, there's a third party mac utility which 'should' be able to get some files off that card…

There's also a utility for checking how genuine sdcards are. Fakes are very difficult to spot as they come in identical packaging to real ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

blades

GoPro customer support advised me NOT to use the 64GB cards as they say there are known issues... they told me to stick with 32GB Sandisk Cards.... that said, they still have the 64GB cards listed on the GoPro website???