Aeronavics / Droidworx SkyJIb-8 v2 Transport

jimska

Anybody had a transport case built for one of these? Any tips on how to best get it in the back of a car? I've got a Land Rover Discovery 3 and it just squeezes in with the back seats down so think I need a case that can go in the back at an angle. That or get a bigger car but I'd rather get a case, any ideas??

Bluerex

I have been reading all the "DIY Roadcase" resources I can Google :frog:
I have a VW Transporter (Van) that we use to chase rally cars, so space is not a problem but a solid roadcase (or flight case) seems like a good idea.
My XM coaxial x4 measures 900mm x 600mm x 500mm (with props on) which is not huge in roadcase terms and should be within my capabilities to build.
Not sure where you are located but check out http://www.diyroadcases.com for some ideas.
I may end up with two cases... one for a "broken down" rig for when paying to transport it, and the other one for back-of-the-van.

Charles

kloner

Aerial DP
i just drive around with them standing up..... only cases we use is pelican 1690 to fly with

if it barely fits without a case, what makes another thing in there gonna make it fit better?

kloner

Aerial DP
a case just makes an even larger footprint in the truck......

for cases, we uses cases we can take to the airport and fly with, pelican 1690's........

my helis stand up on the landing gear in my truck and i tie them off so they can't fall over....... but even not tied down it sits fine.

Bluerex

Kloner, my issue is that I need to share the back of the van with a bunch of other gear as well as the copter. The footprint may be slightly larger than the copter on its own, but I can pack all sorts of stuff around and on top of it without fear of damage. We will need to be mobile in a hurry to get between rally stages so I cant afford the time to disassemble anything - just dump it in the case and drive :)

C

sudsym

Heavylifter
Hi,

We run a Skyjib, and I had to build a flight case myself as there wasn't anything available 'off the shelf'. It takes the Jib with gimbal attached, controllers, camera, lenses ground station and ancilliaries, but it's big. It takes up half the van space, but you can load all your other kit on or around it. I can send you a piccy if you like?

Cheers

Sudsym

rotorvista

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 313
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 1,007
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 240
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 228
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 324
Last edited by a moderator:

20 min setup time out of the case! Good grief! It takes me forever to get setup coming out of the case all collapsed down. Nice!

Hi Jimska,

Your wish is my command. This case allows me to run with everything ready to go. We just attach the camera and we're off

Did you scratch build that? If you have some plans for sizes I'd love to see them.

@SMP... how well protected is yours in cardboard? Special order?

SMP

Protected enough to make it several continents, a shipping company and a couple of airlines worth... Cost was about 400 bucks worth :black_eyed: but w these machines that almost seems cheap. Gimbal is on a quick release and is laid down under the arms. About a foot high and and a set of arms across. I grabbed some of that neverwet from home depot (check out the vid, that alone was worth it) and smuggled it into country... the friggen things I have to carry back and forth over here.. no lie at one point took a monster suitcase of genuine 100% soft *** toilet paper... Back on topic - Since we seldom worry bout rain over here the neverwet should accommodate the very occasional sprinkle and have a foldable X8 coming for the travel gigs. The cardboard in these larger shipping boxes is fairly sturdy and very light and at this price I can afford to shed several before I run into custom road case territory

jimska

Yes indeed a big one. What gimbal do you have on there? Here's a picture of my case that slides nicely into the back of the van, again it all goes in except the camera and has nice storage holes for the batteries.View attachment 12998View attachment 12999

Attachments

• 20130618_192531.jpg
    20130618_192531.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 316
  • 20130618_192904.jpg
    20130618_192904.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 303

kloner

Aerial DP
Were running the Aerial Media Pros custom skyjib case. it's more rectangle than what they show on there site but it's built like those i see above. The professional stage looking cases. it'll hold alot of stuff, i could probably crawl up inside it with custom cut foam for a jib