Absolute newb from Devon, UK

Macsgrafs

Hi guys/girls. Well lets give some breif intro so that you know I'm just your regular guy. I have been flying RC aircraft for 25 years.....yep my first aircraft had fllod marks on the side, it was the first one Noah ever made ;)
2 years ago I took up RC Helis & currently fly a trex 600E with a front mounted camera, thats a gopro & for stills a canon 40D. I also have a phase 3 F16, hand painted by my fiancee in the dutch colours & also a RC factory flah 3d EPP machine, which is great fun. but my pride & joy is a 50cc petrol SU26 @ 88" span, she is my dream girl (honest guv).
I want something better than my current camera ship, so I'm looking at a Driodworx octocopter AD8HLE I believe. I have emailed them twice asking for info but no replies as of yet :(
I know absolutely SQUAT about motor rotor aircraft, so please excuse my ignorance here. I'm hoping one of you nice people can advise me & whats a great octo + setup info like motors, props, flight controller & all the other bits that go with it. I am currently using a spektrum DX7 which I think should be man or woman enough to do the job.

If any of you guys need photography help, please feel free to give me a shout...as I know nothing about that as well ;):D:rolleyes:

Regards
Ross

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Ross,
Nothing like diving in head first, eh? Look for a full Droidworx/MK AD-8HLE build in the coming weeks from yours truly. Feel free to chase it down and you'll see a few posts to get started with. I'm on the cusp of ordering boards for it but have to do an unexpected roof project this week so the boards are on temporary hold.
Anyway, you've landed in the right place, none of us know what we're doing!! Just kidding, there are a few MK brainchildren in the group but they choose to make their presence difficult to detect. Give the pages here a good read and don't be shy about asking questions as you start to make decisions about which direction you want to head off in.
Welcome to the site!
Bart

Bartman

The UK presence here is really building. I may have to change the banner to read "The UK's Worldwide Multi-Rotor Community"
:):):)

Macsgrafs

Hi Bart, thanks for the info. I'm going to have to suss out your build & see what you do, but my fiancee wants me to get mine ASAP, so here's where the problems start!!!
Where do I get the frame from being 1st question? I have emailed driodworx direct from thier website but no reply :( I know there are 2 UK agents, but one hasnt got them in stock & the other never answers his/her emails (not very good customer service from droidworx so far). Then I'm thinking of the hoverfly pro control board but I'm confused (easily done) about how to control my camera when the hoverfly pro controls its stability...does that mean I cant pan /tilt any more...gutted!!!
Next comes the mtoros, did see some GT2820/07 (850Kv)motors that are rated 3-4s lipo, 5mm shaft, prop size 12x6, 656Watts, 140g weight & with thrust of 2.3kg.....not sure if this is ok or not. Considering I will be lifting my canon 40d & the camera gimbal?

Where do I start:confused:

Sure I'll have fun here.

Ross

Bartman

Ross,
I don't own a Hoverfly board so I'm only going by what I've read but it appears their development activity has slowed so the GPS add-on may not be available for some time. If you're going to do photography work, the GPS adds the ability for the copter to hold itself in one position automatically while you fidget with the camera details. It's much harder to fly and shoot simultaneously while also expecting predictable results from your efforts.
There are other boards and there are pros and cons to each but the Mikrokopter flight control boards have a mature GPS product available and they fly great. They're not cheap but they fly as advertised and with your experience in RC you'll be able to build it, fly it, and put it to work if you build it right and spend the time to get to know it before getting too ambitious with it.
There are more experienced people here that can add to the conversation but that's my two cents.
Bart

CopterCam

Hi guys/girls. Well lets give some breif intro so that you know I'm just your regular guy. I have been flying RC aircraft for 25 years.....yep my first aircraft had fllod marks on the side, it was the first one Noah ever made ;)
2 years ago I took up RC Helis & currently fly a trex 600E with a front mounted camera, thats a gopro & for stills a canon 40D. I also have a phase 3 F16, hand painted by my fiancee in the dutch colours & also a RC factory flah 3d EPP machine, which is great fun. but my pride & joy is a 50cc petrol SU26 @ 88" span, she is my dream girl (honest guv).
I want something better than my current camera ship, so I'm looking at a Driodworx octocopter AD8HLE I believe. I have emailed them twice asking for info but no replies as of yet :(
I know absolutely SQUAT about motor rotor aircraft, so please excuse my ignorance here. I'm hoping one of you nice people can advise me & whats a great octo + setup info like motors, props, flight controller & all the other bits that go with it. I am currently using a spektrum DX7 which I think should be man or woman enough to do the job.

If any of you guys need photography help, please feel free to give me a shout...as I know nothing about that as well ;):D:rolleyes:

Regards
Ross

Hi Ross.

Welcome to the best and friendliest Multicopter forum !

..... a long time since the frustrating days of the Blade 400. These Multicopters are are much more fun and a great AP platform, the difficulty is keeping pace with their rapid advancement in FCB's, frames etc.

Sid

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
From my iPhone!
Ross if u need one NOW go check out the x demo hl4x Sandor at Digitech has for sale. It's a bargin. I got mine from him and am well chuffed. Up on Scotland at the moment filming mountainbikeng with mine and have got some amazing footage. I just need to relax a bit more and feel the force especially when flying it through the trees!!

Welcome to MRF it's the dogs jobber for info.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Macsgrafs

Hi Ross.

Welcome to the best and friendliest Multicopter forum !

..... a long time since the frustrating days of the Blade 400. These Multicopters are are much more fun and a great AP platform, the difficulty is keeping pace with their rapid advancement in FCB's, frames etc.

Sid

Hi Sid,

My god its been a while, yes I remember the good old blade 400 3D that lasted all of 10 seconds before I decked her, went onto a mini titan & learnt to fly with her, what a babe...shame I decked her whilst flipping it inverted :( Now flying a trex 600 with front mount, but these multi rotos jobbies seem just the ticket ;)

From my iPhone!
Ross if u need one NOW go check out the x demo hl4x Sandor at Digitech has for sale. It's a bargin. I got mine from him and am well chuffed. Up on Scotland at the moment filming mountainbikeng with mine and have got some amazing footage. I just need to relax a bit more and feel the force especially when flying it through the trees!!

Welcome to MRF it's the dogs jobber for info.

Dave

Dave do you have any footage online from previous shoots? Would love to see.

Ross

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Ross. Check out the threads

Show what you filmed and commercial photography. I would post links to these but working from my IPhone is a tad limiting while not on wifi or 3G

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
U could also check out my mtbvideos.co.uk site but it's a bit outdated. That's why we have been up in Scotlandgetting more footage but ratherthan just headcams and hand helds we got multirotors!
Yeah
Dave

Macsgrafs

Nice one Dave, I'm looking forward to seeing your results. We are working on a documentary that hopefully will screen on mainstream TV & the octo will be a god send as our old trex 600 ship is on its max weight limit now....nothing worse than having to rip the throttle wide open when landing...from 50ft up ;)

Ross

CopterCam

Nice one Dave, I'm looking forward to seeing your results. We are working on a documentary that hopefully will screen on mainstream TV & the octo will be a god send as our old trex 600 ship is on its max weight limit now....nothing worse than having to rip the throttle wide open when landing...from 50ft up ;)

Ross
Good luck with your Documentary shoot........... Multicopters will be a pretty common place sight on TV and Film production sites in the not to distant future. What camera are you planning to lift, have the production team specified a format and minimum quality. I shot some footage for our National Broadcaster and the Editing team had 'Workflow' issues with my H.264 format and the resulting Broadcast quality was so far removed from the HD source, it looked like a video from a Mobile phone...........

Macsgrafs

Good luck with your Documentary shoot........... Multicopters will be a pretty common place sight on TV and Film production sites in the not to distant future. What camera are you planning to lift, have the production team specified a format and minimum quality. I shot some footage for our National Broadcaster and the Editing team had 'Workflow' issues with my H.264 format and the resulting Broadcast quality was so far removed from the HD source, it looked like a video from a Mobile phone...........

The documentary is off our own back, but I have a friend who work for the BBC, she asked me just before xmas to do a shoot for them, but our old system was vibrating like hell, so I had to turn her down on that occasion. She said H264 was fine, they have a good editing suite that will take it & use it to the max. Camera wise I want to be able to lift a broadcast camera, not that I have one, but plenty of others do ;)

Ross