Multicoaxial

zorba

She is airborn.....

Hi guys and girls she is airborn....
First test flight of the Gator8X Kopter.
Ok don't laugh at me this is a stand I made to protect the kopter and the suroundings hehehe
she weighs in at 4220gr or 9.5lbs.with out camera and mout.
using 2 2cell 6000mAh bats in series.
I am sooooo excited. A scratch project that works with the help of everyone on Mokrokopter.us and other places.

I will check the consumption of the bats and see what was used in 5minutes of testing.

Thanks for all your help and support for making this project possible.
That's what is all about people..
Hurray
here is the test conducted this morning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNGocy51woY&feature=player_embedded

CopterCam

Hi guys and girls she is airborn....
First test flight of the Gator8X Kopter.
Ok don't laugh at me this is a stand I made to protect the kopter and the suroundings hehehe
she weighs in at 4220gr or 9.5lbs.with out camera and mout.
using 2 2cell 6000mAh bats in series.
I am sooooo excited. A scratch project that works with the help of everyone on Mokrokopter.us and other places.

I will check the consumption of the bats and see what was used in 5minutes of testing.

Thanks for all your help and support for making this project possible.
That's what is all about people..
Hurray
here is the test conducted this morning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNGocy51woY&feature=player_embedded

Bill,

Congrats !...........like a newborn eh! Very impressive and your VTOL Tower is a clever idea.

Now to see how it handles in the great outdoors, my feeling is, this may well be the HL game changer platform. Well done thus far, now get a cam onboard a let us drool over a 5D MKlll ?

Sid

zorba

Well this the birth of the Gator. I figured I will give some history of how things got started.
I was browsing the net on RCGroups and came across a photo of a UAV.
I liked the design and I was wondering wether I can build one.
Having tones of time on my hands sitting at home, I figured why not.

I sat down at work and with only a photograph of the copter I design the frames.
Trying to decide what material to use, since carbon and G-10 are so expensive, I searched around the shop and found some

left over pieces of 3mm Lexan.

So, I started cutting the frames, shaping and sanding and it turned out pretty good.
Went to Home Depot and got me some 12mm square aluminum tubing and cut the struts.

Everything looked good so far.
I assembled the bird and it had the same look as the photo.

But, I didn't like it. It was too flexible, unbreakable but flexible.

So back to the drawing board I got me some 3mm Dibond.
That stuff is strong, resi poxy sandwiched between two thin layers of aluminum.

I assembled the bird again and no flexing this time.

But I noticed that when I tighten the crews they sunk into the aluminum, too soft.

Darn it anyway, I guess you can have everything..
So, I said what ta heck I came that far I might as well go all the way.
So I ordered 3mm G-10-FR4 from Ontario
That stuff is expensive.
12 square feet for $157.00CND. $190.00 with shipping..

The stuff arrived a few days later.
I cut another set of the frames again....

This time it took a bit longer, G-10 is tough material. Got it done though. went trhough a few drill bits.

Time to search the net. I heard that others had built multis using other means of propultion. I found the answer I was looking

for. A guy by the name Alex built the one I got the photo of. I don't know if he scrapped the project or it didn't fly properly.

To use the controler from the Mikrokopter kopter but use ordinary ESC's, how you say?

A I2c to PWM converter.
A converter that converts the ppm signal so the I2c bus can understand.
I got the controller from Mikrokopter the converter from France the ESC's from HK the motors from all places the Ukraine.

Turnigy 60A Plush series. They are the only controllers that have 400Hz speed which is what you need for the I2c signal.

For motors I got the Pulso 2814/22 760KV
I also got a power distribution board so I can supply power to the ESC's..No way I was gonna sit there and solder a harness to

connect all 8 ESC's together.

For propellers I got the APC 12x6. 4 pushers and 4 tractors.

The assembly began and things fell to place with no effort at all.
The whole thing was assembled without the props of course. Setup the MKtools on my PC. MKtools is a program to calibrate

and adjust the controller, everything is done via the PC.
Communication between the PC and the Bird was done via WI232 modules, they are like bluetooth but better, longer range.
I did the setup of the controller and the timming of the motors. I run the motors one by one via my PC to check rotation.
Setup all the K-values for the altitude and the gyros the aileron and elevator travel adj.

Couple of days ago I strapped the bird on the bench and fired up the motors.

I had to add some trim to the aileron and elevator and everything was set.

Today I did the first test flight and I attached the test stand to prevent any accidents to me or to the bird.

You all saw the results that I posted and I can say I am really happy with the project.

Well this is where I stand. In the near future I will do the maiden flight....I will post...

Do you think is over? nuh...not by long shot.You can say I am crazy or whatever but believe me when I am done Is gonna be

one awesome Multicopter/coaxial.

This project is only the test bed of things to come.
If and I mean IF she flies and can carry the weight of the camera with no glitches at all, I will strip her down and start all over.

Why? you say. I'm glad you asked.
This bird is only for testing of the design and power requirements of the final product.

The final product would be some what smaller. The frame would be made from 1.5mm G-10 and the riggers from 10mm

aluminum. She will have a more aerodynamic shape and of course be much lighter.

I got lots of time to do this so why not?
The new ESC's are on order so as the G-10.
Everything else I got. Patience too.

So friends enjoy the new dimension of UAV's.

I mostly go for the challenge of building something new and from scratch. Everything today is ARF or RTF anybody can do

that. But back in the good old days things were done from ground zero.LOL

Thanks again for you support and input.

Cheers
Bill (zorba)
17/3/2011

CopterCam

Excellent background history...............with time, patience, $$$$$$$$$$ and a will, everything is possible.

Subscribed !

Sid

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Yo Zorba... nice workshop... oh by the way congrats on the first flightish... ;-)

WELL done that a pretty amazing looking MR.. love the test rig.. u should patent that as well as the MR!

Dave

zorba

Thanks Dave, the workshop is where I work. I wish I had workshop like this one for my own. Patent the MR? Is all done by hand I have no CAD files.

Cheers

zorba

Well Dave, as you know I do all the work on the MR at work. Sometimes not so busy so I do some work other times is crazy and the thing sits there.
I test flown it today with a training gear attached, in case..
The thing weighs in at 10lbs 3.6oz.
After 7 minutes of testing I shut it down and charged the bats.
I put in them about 3700mAh out of 6000mAh.

I had a hard time trying to keep it in a hover. Evrytime I have gas she would rise but it would not maintain altitude and she would drop slowly, so I gave more gas and levelled it out.

I think is too much weight.
So, I tore it down and transfered most of the stuff to another frame waiting to be born.

This one is made out of 1.57mm G-10 and 10x10x1mm square allu tubing.
I used the arms from my old octo red and black since the led's were already on them.

Much, much lighter she weighs in at 1956gr with out the cam and mount, Almost half the weight.
She is almost put together but the wires from the ESC's are too short to reach the flyboard, I ordered some extensions from Servocity.

Here are a couple of pics of the NEW design. Is the same diameter as the original one but much slimmer. I like it..
Cheers
I will let you know how things will progress.

Bill

Attachments

• Img_0250.jpg
    Img_0250.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 340
  • Img_0251.jpg
    Img_0251.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 312
  • Img_0252.jpg
    Img_0252.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 331
Last edited by a moderator:

zorba

Nice one bill.. we all live and learn

Good luck and keep us informed

Dave

Well she is done. Today had the maiden but had to keep it short(the boss was there) did it between jobs.
It needs alot of tweaking yet but at least she flies and stable too I must say. I used the default settings so things are out of wack.
I have to play with it some more and then mount the camera and try again.

Thanks
Here are couple short videos of the event.

Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78wbsocShzo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkD9WZ4VV8M

CopterCam

Bill,
Excellent ! ..... Beautifully smooth take off. Where will the camera be mounted ?

Thanks for posting Videos........looking forward to more.

Sid

Well she is done. Today had the maiden but had to keep it short(the boss was there) did it between jobs.
It needs alot of tweaking yet but at least she flies and stable too I must say. I used the default settings so things are out of wack.
I have to play with it some more and then mount the camera and try again.

Thanks
Here are couple short videos of the event.

Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78wbsocShzo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkD9WZ4VV8M

zorba

Thanks Sid, It took a while to get it done. First the prototype and now the final version.
The camera will be mounted inside the cage. See picture of the prototype. I cut a new mount and waiting for gears from Servocity.
I still have to adjust the PID settings to fly smoother.

Will post again.

Attachments

• Prototype.jpg
    Prototype.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 266

zorba

Nah, after he saw that it can fly he forgot to rim me out.hehehehe I think I will lay low for a while till he's gone again.

Cheers

zorba

Hi again, is been a while,
Saturday I did some more test with the coaxial.
This time I strapped a camera on her. Canon A610 Power shot.
If you have read my other posts, I mentined that I was building it at work. Well the test took place at work.
At the time I was ready a customer walked in and was of course curious of the craft. So, he wouldn't leave and wanted to see it fly.
I was skeptical about having people (customers) around in case something went wrong.
Never the less some more people walked in, so what ta heck I should give it a try.
The said customer decided to take a movie on his phone.
The flight went kinda good except to the yo-yo effect of the throttle been very sensitive.

Well this is the result. I had to cut it short not knowing who might walk thru the door this time. No boss can be found. ppphhhhuuuu.

Net time will try with the JVC camcorder but first I have to play with the dynamic gyro settings..
Cheers
Bill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeXMgXAUnK8&feature=player_embedded

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Keep at it buddy.. love the flashing lights .. I have to learn how to do that..

Thought you had to fly it at least 50m from jo public!! ;) hope you got him to sign a waiver!

Dave