a newbie looking for a copter for professional gopro filming

adanac

Tiki:

I've just read this entire thread. I'm more or less in the same boat as you, or I was a week ago and I'm still very new. I'm a film/tv camera operator seeking a new platform.

You may have already done this, but define as much as possible now what you want to shoot and then determine what camera you need to fly to do it (I have determined I probably need to fly a 5DM2, or at least a GH2). Determine the payload and take it from there.

I strongly considered the F550. It will definitely lift your GoPro and, if you decide to upgrade to a larger platform, you can use some of it's components on a larger bird. (I probably need an S800 or possibly an octo).

One thing I don't remember seeing in the previous ten pages is advice on training. I don't know about you, but I'm new to RC at the 4 channel level. I was advised to purchase and play with a Blade MQX and, so far, it is the best advice I've received. In my opinion, if one is new to this kind of flying, it is absolutely critical. When you lose your orientation or forget which hand controls what while flying the MQX at the relatively low height of 20 feet and it comes crashing to the ground, you realize what's at stake flying your $2000 rig. I'm building flying skills and having a great time doing it. The MQX has been very well reviewed.

Send me a message if you need someone in the same boat as you now.

tikigod19

I was advised to purchase and play with a Blade MQX and, so far, it is the best advice I've received. In my opinion, if one is new to this kind of flying, it is absolutely critical. When you lose your orientation or forget which hand controls what while flying the MQX at the relatively low height of 20 feet and it comes crashing to the ground, you realize what's at stake flying your $2000 rig. I'm building flying skills and having a great time doing it. The MQX has been very well reviewed.

thanks so much, you're the third person (and the 2nd today) thats recommended learning on an MQX. Someone in a thread elsewhere (no hope of finding it again - I tried!) recommended am even smaller one, a tiny little £50 thing (compared to the £90 MQX) so although i realise without a link to that particular one this is quite useless.. is it a case of learning on ANY small quad is a good idea, or learning specifically on the MQX is a good idea?

adanac

I'm afraid someone with more experience with these small quads will have to answer that question. My only quad experience is with the MQX. I would suspect, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, is that the point is learning the controls and that one should avoid quads like the Parrot, where flight control (via iphone, etc.) is not the same as with the bigger birds.

thanks so much, you're the third person (and the 2nd today) thats recommended learning on an MQX. Someone in a thread elsewhere (no hope of finding it again - I tried!) recommended am even smaller one, a tiny little £50 thing (compared to the £90 MQX) so although i realise without a link to that particular one this is quite useless.. is it a case of learning on ANY small quad is a good idea, or learning specifically on the MQX is a good idea?

tikigod19

im happy to pay £80 instead of £50 just as it seems to be a widely recommended model, looks nice and stable.

I already own a DX4E with my super cub plane but know NOTHING about binding transmitters.. however, am I right in saying I can buy the BNF model and then come on here to ask you lovely people how I get the Blade MQX working with the DX4E?

Fiveflat

Banned
You can learn orientation safely and quite well with a 450 size quad if it has Naza-M on it. It's incredible how stable it makes a quad. Once you get to the level of packing a DSLR, you'll likely want something like a Wookong or Arducopter, etc.

tikigod19

ive gone and ordered an MQX (had it confirmed from horizon hobby that the D4X is compatible) so will nice to practise on, entertain my daughters and manage to fly SOMETHING when the rain is lashing down during our great british summers.

My first purchase in my journey to an f550.. it's not quite as big and impressive as I'd hoped but ringing quadcopters.co.uk to get a quote on the big boy now. (my wife says "I wish you never found that bloody forum, it's costing us a bomb")

adanac

That's great news. It makes me feel better about moving up quicker. My first big bird will definitely have Wookong.

You can learn orientation safely and quite well with a 450 size quad if it has Naza-M on it. It's incredible how stable it makes a quad. Once you get to the level of packing a DSLR, you'll likely want something like a Wookong or Arducopter, etc.

adanac

Well it all works out then. If you've got kids around it's probably best if you get rid of that bomb anyway.

I used to do sound work and I'm selling some of my (non-income-generating) gear to buy a bird so my wife doesn't get to say anything.

ive gone and ordered an MQX (had it confirmed from horizon hobby that the D4X is compatible) so will nice to practise on, entertain my daughters and manage to fly SOMETHING when the rain is lashing down during our great british summers.

My first purchase in my journey to an f550.. it's not quite as big and impressive as I'd hoped but ringing quadcopters.co.uk to get a quote on the big boy now. (my wife says "I wish you never found that bloody forum, it's costing us a bomb")

tikigod19

I used to do sound work and I'm selling some of my (non-income-generating) gear to buy a bird so my wife doesn't get to say anything.

Nice work. I managed to convince her that a Super Cub RC Plane would one day generate me income so I don't think she's that bright bless her.

adanac

And you're telling me nice work?! You're out of my pay grade. Although, to my credit, I was once able to bring home a new television and bong in the same day. Both, sadly, are gone now.

Breezemont

And you're telling me nice work?! You're out of my pay grade. Although, to my credit, I was once able to bring home a new television and bong in the same day. Both, sadly, are gone now.
bow.gif

lol8.gif

tikigod19

From a phantom Facebook group..

The wind finally died down long enough for me to fly my f550. The thing is terrifying! Comparing this beast to the Phantom is like a nitro burning funny car vs a Prius :) I fly my phantom in my local park, I can't imagine trying to fly the f550 there. I'm glad I kept the phantom for fun flying.

I'm worried .. Hated reading this.. You guys are sure I'll be ok..?!

dr427

Trying to figure it out!
I'm still waiting for my hexa to arrive. I'm expecting the naza w/GPS makes it easy to handle and the 6 blades make it more stable.

For your professional use I would think it would be better suited and not outgrown. If you decided to use a DSLR or Mirrorless body the Phantom would likely be too puny where as the hexa wouldn't.

As a fun big boy toy the Phantom would probably be great. That's the justification I went with.

tikigod19

I'll stick with it and just hope I'm hood at flying.. Like the idea if mounting my dslr one day.

Guys, just to confirm an 8ch tx is enough for 550, naza, gps (failsafe, rth etc all fully utilised) , 2 axis BG and fpv kit..?

adanac

Tstrike you're in the minority here. Consensus is that no stable footage is possible with a rig costing less than $8K.

Stick with the 550 imo, like was mentioned, the new slew of gimbals coming out will change a lot of things. Don't let anyone tell you gp3b footage isn't sellable (if that's your goal), every producer, director, dp, keygrip I know carries at least one in their kit. Besides, with the 550 you can crash it all the way down to a tricopter, so you got that going for you...which is nice.

tstrike

pendejo grande
Uh, canada, that's not what this thread is about, but ok, I'm in the minority. You writing a check for 8 grand so you too can be a professional?

sorry, adanac, damn aixelsyd.

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
the ipower motors are notorious for breaking bearings,,, chineese metals... the sunnysky i've mentioned a zillion times are the cheap ones to get..... even the little tiger ms series are better than the ipower and $25ish a pop

tikigod19

Ok thanks kloner. I'll avoid those then. Just seen a nice priced rtf 55p but with a turnigy 9x which if the price is to go by isn't very good..

Ready to buy now but having a hard time finding what I want!