S800 Owners - What battery config do you use??

mmurfitt

Hey,
I'm looking to buy a S800 in the next month or so and I'd like to try and get the maximum air time possible.
The S800 will have retractable landing gear and Zenmuse with a Sony camera.
I'm thinking possibly 2x 6S 11000Mah batteries, but I'm unsure what flight time I should expect from those two...any ideas?

Ideally I'd like to get somewhere around 20mins, but I'm not sure if this will be possible or not.

Tahoe Ed

My initial thoughts are that you will be above the max AUW spec'd on the S800 of 7Kg. I fly 2x5000mw 6S and can get 15-18min without gimbal, 10-12min with. I do not have retracts so I cannot compare there.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I also fly with 2x5000mah and get exactly the same flight time as above.

The Maxamps 11000mah lipos only weigh 1.2kg which give a significant weight saving but they're quite expensive.

Cheers!

I get 8-9 min with a Zen5n and an Zippy 8000mah. With the retracts the S800 is almost at 70% of max lift so dual lipos is a no go.

r44heli

We use 2 x 5000/6S 30C packs in parallel, with Z15 and Sony NEX5R get around 14mins depending on how long its hovering versus positioning. We have Secraft retracts and power them from a seperate 350mah 3S lipo, and get around 40 retract cycles per charge.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I think they come without the legs as they are an upgrade rather than a complete set. Correct me if I'm wrong. The instructions mention cutting 40mm off the original legs to fit.

r44heli

I think they come without the legs as they are an upgrade rather than a complete set. Correct me if I'm wrong. The instructions mention cutting 40mm off the original legs to fit.

Hi,

They do come without legs, we fitted ours without cutting the legs but you could trim off 40mm if you needed to. They take about an hour to install and we run them from a separate 380Mah lipo pack through an Align UBEC. We get around 40 retract cycles per charge.

mmurfitt

Thanks guys, this excellent.
So I guess if I wanted two larger lipo's I'd have to upgrade the motors, anyone do this?
Is it worth the time and expense compared to the extra weight/flight time you get?

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Thanks guys, this excellent.
So I guess if I wanted two larger lipo's I'd have to upgrade the motors, anyone do this?
Is it worth the time and expense compared to the extra weight/flight time you get?

Forget all about carrying the best part of 3kg in batteries. I use a single 6S 10000 and get 16 minutes with Z15 & GH2. The take-off weight for that lot is already 7.4kg.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
The word is that those interfering, pansy, busybody, health and safety wee-wee ****s in the EU parliament, Brussels (most boring city in the World) are planning on a total ban of shipping batteries with Lithium content over a certain size. Better start hoarding those 6S packs.

mmurfitt

Today first fly with a new liPo 6S 10,000mAh.

That's one heck of a battery!
Can you post back here when you've done a timed flight test?

Super smooth footage from the Zenmuse, it's such a good gimbal!

Last edited by a moderator:

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Today first fly with a new liPo 6S 10,000mAh.

When you make test videos try to stop moving the camera all the time. Let it stay on a given subject for a good 10-15 seconds without moving - unless, of course, you are conducting Pan axis tests. Otherwise it is very difficult to determine whether your mount or airframe setup have any bad habits.

I liked the video title spelling mistake that tells us it is a 100,000 mAh battery test.

Last edited by a moderator: