Zenmuse GH4 Owners thread

scotth

I've had no issues with temps in the 0ºC range and seriously doubt the components themselves are affected, at least by design. However.. if you have a marginal connection or flaky component somewhere to begin with, I could see it being temperature affected as things contract in the cold. Maybe pull whatever covers you can, especially the one over the HDMI board, and spray some freeze mist on there while it's working in the (warm) shop. That way you can selectively cool things. I'd be especially suspect of the HDMI cable where it plugs in to the board. I've heard of more than one issue there.

Timtim

Well the dealer has agreed to swop the whole gimbal (public thank you firstpersonview.co.uk). We've spent 3 months faffing around trying to sort this so it's time to try this option...keep you posted

Buzz_Roavr

I've had mine swapped mate and same issues. I'm convinced it's the HDMI board in the gimbals. Apparently A2's seem better. Mine has been out in very low temps when it has been working with no issues.

Timtim

Hmm, if the new gimbal doesn't sort it, what do we do about the hdmi board? Would using Lightbridge mean the HD FPV image bypassed the HDMI conversion process and make it more likely for the image to pass through?

So I have a brand new S900-A2-GH4 package and this is my second rig I have put together but I was using the GH3 gimbal before. Anyways gimbal responds fine to controller input and upgraded to latest firmware in assistant software before checking the video output so I am not sure if it was right before updating firmware. For whatever reason the standard video output on my monitor from the gimbal is flashing like I have it in PAL mode. Double checked connections, switch is in AV mode and monitor settings are correct and verified using my other forward look fpv camera. The ***GH3*** camera that I am using has the ouput mode on Auto just like it was on the gh3 gimbal??? Am I missing something here?

Firmware:
GCU 2.4
CMU 1.0
HD-AV Converter 1.18
IMU 1.8

P.S. Sorry about double post I didn't realize that the GH4 official owners page is here and not in the AP section. Just trying to figure it out....

scotth

It likely is outputting in PAL. All (or most) of them seem to do that. Did you try switching your monitor to PAL?

It likely is outputting in PAL. All (or most) of them seem to do that. Did you try switching your monitor to PAL?

Didn't read that in the manual anywhere but you were right. Monitor needed to be in PAL. Seemed like that was what was going on, but I never tried. Thanks.

Timtim

While I'm waiting for the gimbal inspection/replacement, I thought I'd check it's not the GH4 being fussy. I connected up a spare VTX & HDMI converter. Switched it on, and it works perfectly without any tuning in any mode consistently. How hard can it be DJI ?!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 319

scotth

I did the same thing but when I went to 4K 23.98 I had a severely cropped image. I had to restart the camera in 29.97 then switch to 23.98. Be curious to see if you try putting the camera in 23.98 before connecting it up.

speedstep

I just had my first experience with "warranty"...

I just waited 8 weeks on a warranty repair of a zenmuse GH4, which suddenly didn't put out any video downlink anymore. The gimbal still worked apart from that (apart from the odd trigger not working etc.) :-D

I got notified today that the gimbal is dusty and that they can't cover it by warranty and that it is a WRITE OFF.

Hang on you buy a car and it gets dust on it and the warranty is GONE???

Can't believe that, if you want actually use the gimbal in a professional environment there is no warranty as such.

GH4 Gimbal Serials 0220021556/01z0050530 (dji Case number 141212ZHG)

I also attached the "proof" (photos) of dji that the warranty is not applicable, for me it's proof of a used gimbal.

I also attached typical location where we take off so yes there isn't always a dust free environment.

I'm not a Fan Boy or Hater of dji.
I always liked dji as a tool to create, within their limits.

I used/had following dji products:

F450, F550, Gh2 Gimbal, Gh4 Gimbal, 5D MKIII Gimbal, lightbridge and A2 and wookong.

https://www.facebook.com/skypixelsoz

www.skypixels.com.au

Attachments

• 1374047_378615222305035_9051924727473482563_n.jpg
    1374047_378615222305035_9051924727473482563_n.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 227
  • 10432123_380236002142957_1466698472036227873_n.jpg
    10432123_380236002142957_1466698472036227873_n.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 267
  • 10445128_386631848170039_4718546851898714287_n.jpg
    10445128_386631848170039_4718546851898714287_n.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 237
  • DSC_0022.JPG
    DSC_0022.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 268
  • DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC_0010.JPG
    DSC_0010.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 241
  • DSC_0014.JPG
    DSC_0014.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC_0015.JPG
    DSC_0015.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 233

Timtim

While I'm waiting for the gimbal inspection/replacement, I thought I'd check it's not the GH4 being fussy. I connected up a spare VTX & HDMI converter. Switched it on, and it works perfectly without any tuning in any mode consistently. How hard can it be DJI ?!
An Update: Just got a replacement GH4 gimbal under warranty, installed it and video out is looking good so far on the bench and out in the cold too. Hope to test fly later in the week

scotth

They couldn't just clean up the slip rings? I'm assuming that's where the issue is if they're saying it's dirty. Or is there corrosion? That would be a deal breaker for sure. Salt air plays hell on things.

speedstep

They couldn't just clean up the slip rings? I'm assuming that's where the issue is if they're saying it's dirty. Or is there corrosion? That would be a deal breaker for sure. Salt air plays hell on things.

Hi Scott,

doesn't seem like they want to do anything if it has got traces of use/dust. I tried to find if there is a bad connection and the picture drops in and out, but it was gone all together. I get that these gimbals are not in the perfect environment, but they have to engineered fit for purpose. If they are not it's better to fix it under warranty than to piss professionals off. We ordered a spare one straight away when we sent this one off, but it was likely the last dji gimbal.
We got a Movi gimbal for RED's as well but didn't need their support yet.
I guess a lot of people sent stuff to dji and say "warranty" as in reality they ditched the copter or so, that way they probably want to be "tough" on warranty...

scotth

I've worked on a ton of airplanes and it's obvious which ones were parked within 5 miles of the ocean. But hell, more than half of the footage you see is over salt water! There certainly should be ways DJI can better seal the vulnerable components.

I had to buy three GH3 gimbals to get a working one. And two GH4 gimbals and one HDMI board to get one GH4 system working. I have an M5 (which is great) but it's not really suitable for my S1000. I feel your pain.

speedstep

I've worked on a ton of airplanes and it's obvious which ones were parked within 5 miles of the ocean. But hell, more than half of the footage you see is over salt water! There certainly should be ways DJI can better seal the vulnerable components.

I had to buy three GH3 gimbals to get a working one. And two GH4 gimbals and one HDMI board to get one GH4 system working. I have an M5 (which is great) but it's not really suitable for my S1000. I feel your pain.

That's shockin I had reasonable good experience. Had 2x Gh4 zenmuse (one dead), zenmuse Gh2 modified for Gh3 worked flawless and better than any other one I had. And I got a M10 works flawless so far. I'm thinking of getting another movi M5, are you happy with it?
For you this would be interesting?

http://kopterworx.com/shop/camera-gimbals-remote/movi/movi-m5-adapter-for-dji-s1000-frame.html

cheers,

Stefan

scotth

When they work.. the results are really something. The M5 has been great but I haven't tried to fly with it yet since it puts the weight near or over gross for the S1000. Have you looked at the Gremsy H14? I'm thinking of that on a K130...

speedstep

When they work.. the results are really something. The M5 has been great but I haven't tried to fly with it yet since it puts the weight near or over gross for the S1000. Have you looked at the Gremsy H14? I'm thinking of that on a K130...

You are right we filmed some of our best stuff with zenmuse...
I don't know you think the K130 is "rigid" enough? I haven't seen it in person (looks a bit flimsy)... But the big thing is always zero flex...
I like the gryphon dynamics or vulcan frames, they are very rigid. And for the gimbal I haven't read anything about the Gremsy Gimbals yet, there is also Zero UAV Gimbals, but I always think it's better to stick with something that's alot out there for spare parts etc...

Timtim

An Update on our gimbal problems:

We got our brand new, just shipped in from China, replacement gimbal, and at first we thought this had solved the problem. I fired up the S900 in my office, and the video feed was good. So I took it outside and left it in the garden for 30 minutes (ambient temp around 1ºC) - the video image was rock solid. So we charged everything up and went to test fly today. 2ºC and a chilling wind: lots of power cycles without luck and only 1 out of 4 flights with working video. During all these flights the pilot's camera and screen worked perfectly. We even did a successful RTH test, so know that all controls and communication are good.

We realise now, that once the HDMI board has got an image, it generates enough internal heat to keep it warm and the video feed working. So back in my garden we did some tests, which conclusively prove that unless the area around the base of the camera, and particularly the HDMI board are warm, you get a red fault LED on the board and no image. Once you have heated up the area (see video: 2 mins with a hair dryer) you get a green flashing LED and all works fine, however many times you power cycle. But then leave the S900 for 20 mins in the cold, and the image never appears, just a grey screen.

We think we have been sold goods that are not fit for purpose and will investigate our options....

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Video:
Video showing a temperature related problem with the DJI S900 Z15 GH4 Gimbal. This is a replacement gimbal and has the same problem as the first one we were supplied with. This is on a brand new, professionally built S900. We have done about 25 flights with the video feed only working on 30% of them. Our flight logs confirm it is on the cold days that we have this problem

We did this whole test twice with the same results
test sequence:

1. leave S900 outside for 30 minutes (outside temp 3ºC with light wind)
2. Switch on camera (4K 25 fps, but other settings yield the same result)
3. Power up S900 and gimbal several times - result: no image
4. Heat up underside of gimbal, where the HDMI board is located with a hair dryer for 2 minutes
5. Power cycle S900 and gimbal 3 times - result: good image every time

The video image works every time at room temperature and only becomes a problem once the ambient temperature goes down below around 5ºC

Solution in cold weather: use a hair dryer or temporarily attach a hand warmer to the underside of the gimbal before powering up

Why are we sure this is the problem?
1. With the camera removed from the gimbal, it outputs a perfect image to a monitor via an HDMI lead when cold, even at -6ºC ( we tested this in a freezer )
2. Video transmitters have been swopped over and both work with the GoPro/Pilot's camera
3. When in a warm office or above 7ºC the image works fine
4. This is the second gimbal that has exactly the same issues

PMaughan

I reckon you're onto something with the temperature timtim, very similar experience to me on cold days, worked fine indoors but no good outside. And it seemed to get worse as winter came on, however since I've updated the GH4 to latest firmware and changed the Zen HDMI cable all has been well, although not sure i've been out with in in minus temps...but pretty close to freezing.