Zenmuse GH4 Owners thread

HexCam

Interesting thread chaps. Thanks, just read through the whole lot! I really hope the next Panasonic FW release sorts the 16:9 12MP thing.
I have had the "white out" issue several times. Sometimes wire wiggling solves it, sometimes not. Today my gimbal dropped right about 10 degrees in flight for no obvious reason. Gimbal consistently boots a couple of degrees off horizon.
Video is superb even without ND but I think I will get one after reading this. I still have a lot to learn on the camera side of things!

Timtim

Yesterday I took the s900 out for some proper test flights, conditions were good and fairly calm. At last I got 3 flights in and the camera and zen worked fine, but I did get a few screen hiccups on powering up, then the image settled and stayed good. The footage looks great, I did get some vibration on a fast forward climb and a lot of horizon roll on fast panning (you wouldn't pan that fast when filming, but still a bit disappointing). The 4K footage looks amazing, but I've got to hook up some thunderbolt drives to cope with it, firewire 800 seems too slow...

Stratifier

I've changed the function of FN1 to Focus Peaking so I can quickly check focus. No chance of turning wifi on by accident as none of the custom function buttons are on wifi
Good thing. I did it too. (I can confirm now that fn1 to wifi was cutting off the transmission when hit during initialisation. )

PMaughan

Has anyone tried the Olympus Zuiko 17mm f1.8 lens on the Zenmuse?

It's a tad lighter but 1.5mm wider so you'd probably need to loose the lens collar...

scotth

I did get some vibration on a fast forward climb and a lot of horizon roll on fast panning (you wouldn't pan that fast when filming, but still a bit disappointing).

My first GH4 gimbal did that. I sent it back for that plus I had no composite video output. The second GH4 gimbal did not have the roll when panning issue. I just finished up a project where there was a lot of aggressive flying and following in a car chase scene. The first gimbal would have been a problem.

Timtim

My first GH4 gimbal did that. I sent it back for that plus I had no composite video output. The second GH4 gimbal did not have the roll when panning issue. I just finished up a project where there was a lot of aggressive flying and following in a car chase scene. The first gimbal would have been a problem.

Hmmm, have I got one of the same batch? Should I send it back? Here's a quick low res clip of a pan. Can it be adjusted in any way? I flew forward only, the camera operator panned the camera. He had done a pan in the other direction as I got into position for a fast run. The gimbal levelled off very gradually after the rolls and had been level on take off.

Tahoe Ed

Your only option at this point is to send the unit in for repair. There is no pan/tilt adjustment. Make sure that your firmware is up to date. I would download firmware even it it says that not upgrade is available.

Timtim

OK, I'll check the firmware. Currently I don't have access to the windows machine that has the gimbal assistant on it ( DJI - Please can we have Mac versions !!!) so I'm not even sure which firmware it's on.

Jumpy07

Is there anyway to roll back the firmware.. I am getting intermittent video now since HDMI board upgrade.. was fine before..

scotth

Latest issue for me- turn cam to 4k 25p and live view disappears no matter what the down convert is set to!
I mentioned this before but the only way for me to get 23.98p or 24p is to handshake the camera in 29.97 first (at 59.94 system frequency), THEN change the camera to the desired frame rate. Any other way doesn't work. Of course this is a total pain since when landing to swap batteries it adds 5 minutes to the process as I have to go in to the camera menu several times, reboot, etc. I've resorted to hot swapping the batteries (duals) one at a time to keep everything going. And that's not to mention I'm stuck in PAL for analog output to the VTX.

I'm tired and frustrated with DJI's lack of attention to the voluminous amounts of problems with their gimbals. The only reason I have remotely working setups is because of the support I get here in the forums. I can't wait to see what happens when the new GH4 firmware comes out.. we'll probably all have dead gimbals since God forbid DJI gets ahead of the issue by working with Panasonic.

Buzz_Roavr

Ah I do remember this now. What a pain. I nearly always initialise with the camera already switched on and the resolution set to 1080p 60fps and then change from there.

Today when I swapped to 4k with everything initialised I lost my live view. I'm on NTSC.

Buzz_Roavr

Right just had a desktop fiddle. With the GH4 turned on the gimbal initialises in 1080p record format at any frame rate. As soon as I switch the resolution to 4k no matter what the frame rate i lose live view. Switch back to FHD and the live view returns. This is in NTSC with the HDMI record output set to off or 1080p. I have fiddled wight he down convert setting and this makes no sense.

As it stands I cannot fly the GH4 and record 4k!! It's not been an issue before as clients have only wanted FHD at 200mb.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Right just had a desktop fiddle. With the GH4 turned on the gimbal initialises in 1080p record format at any frame rate. As soon as I switch the resolution to 4k no matter what the frame rate i lose live view. Switch back to FHD and the live view returns. This is in NTSC with the HDMI record output set to off or 1080p. I have fiddled wight he down convert setting and this makes no sense.

As it stands I cannot fly the GH4 and record 4k!! It's not been an issue before as clients have only wanted FHD at 200mb.

NTSC? I use PAL and everything works, including 4K. I have HDMI set to 1080p constant. No down convert or auto.