Y6 boom length

Bison52

Starting on a new build. Want to do a Y6 on a Rusty's frame. Medium heavy, probably Avrotos, 11-12 in props.

Is there a rule of thumb for determining boom length? On a flat config, prop clearance is a factor but I'm guessing that's not as much of an issue in a Y setup.

One goal is stability in wind, which seems to be a plus of Y6.

Is there a trade off between wind stability and moment arm? Or should I just go by aesthetics; if it looks good, it is good. In that case, I'm thinking a boom length in the 375 - 400 mm range, just from sketching it out on my work table.

Any ideas appreciated

Mike

Unfaix

Try the standard trex boom length and see now that works out.

You could always cut them later

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jes1111

As long as your props have a few centimetres clearance from the fuselage, making the arms any longer than that is just going to slow down the responses. I've not seen any evidence that over-sizing the arms improves anything - but I stand to be corrected.

Dewster

Thanks for the information. I'm building a Y6 too and wanted to know if I should be concerned about the length of the arms. I've heard of over propping, but the weight I'll carry (Sony Nex 5/Gimbal,6000 mah battery and FPV equipment) I want to make sure that I have enough power to stay in the air if I lose a prop.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Depends on the weight you want to carry fro my experience. We built one for long flight duration with the the lon DW arem but ended up taking 50mm off them. The ones on my HL 4.2KG mtow Y6 are 300mm from where they come out of the body. My Y6 std. lift 3kg mtow the arms are 250mm. I guess it will also depend on props motors and FC. You can always shorten them.

Dave

Kari

Just took a 2 maiden fights with rustys Y6, wkm, AV130. I used Trex500 booms and already cutted 7cm off, but i think i'm going to take another 5cm off. Trex 500 "CF" (Alu boom with CF-look sticker) is bending bit too much and makes the booms jitter quite easily with 2814 size motors, so now i'm looking something stiffer, what have you guys used? In any other way i really really like this Y6 setup already much more than flat hexa. It's feels really agile and fast but very stabile.

Here is one boring video to prove that, all pretty much defaults and didn't set gimbal settings yet but you'll get the point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj5qakdhCVc

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I agree with Jes111. I cannot see any practical advantage to having booms any longer than is required to prevent props touching other props or the chassis. One could possibly argue that longer booms might make it less 'agile', and therefore beneficial when carrying a video camera, but if** the gimbal is a good one then that becomes irrelevant.

** significant 'IF'

Kari

Here's a link for carbon fiber tubes.

http://www.flycarbon.com/

I saw a post somewhere that Rusty was pretty enthusiastic about these tubes.

Thanks, these tubes looks good with 1,5mm walls, i have to order few. Also need to find better and stiffer landing gear with some more clearing than with rustys ones. Now there is no space even for camera screw at the bottom of AV130 plate. But at least i think i'm not selling my wkm yet as it looks like it works well in Y6 setup, maybe with YS-X6 this might be even better though.