XT60 to Banana question

Hey, I started on my first RC project a couple of days ago, I bought all the parts individually online and just now when I went to solder my battery connector to the board I realised the guy has sent me a battery with a female XT60 on the end and a connector with (what I think is) a male servo on the end. In other terms there is no way in hell I can get those two to connect.

My question is: I have a spare XT60 to banana charging cable, if I was to clip and strip that and solder it to the distribution board would it work or would it cause something to burn out?

For reference my kit list is:
Frame - DJI F450
Motors - AGM 2213 935 KV
ESCs - Hobby King 15-18A
Control Board - HK KK 2.1
LiPo - Power Poly 20c 3s - 2650mAh + a low voltage alarm
Rx - OrangeRx R615
Tx - Spektrum DX4e (Upgrading to Dx6i on payday)

Thanks in advance guys and sorry for being such a n00b.

Debian Dog

Old Heli Guy
Why would you just not cut off the connector and put the one you want on there? I typically don't use adapters for anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cootertwo

Ahhhh, the old "which connector to use". There are a bunch of different connectors. Confusing I know. Out of my 5 multi rotors, and my 3 planes, I have probably 4 different connectors. XT60, Deans, JST, and the blue ones I can't remember the name, on and on. And trying to decide which ones to stick with is confusing too. Most are a real pain to unplug, usually wind up jerking something when they come apart. I like the full size Deans, yes they make a micro too. Once you decide what to go with, then you can shop for the desired connector when you order batteries. Just another part of the learning proce$$

Debian Dog

Old Heli Guy
Yep I have down to 3 - Servo, JST, and for the big stuff EC5. Then 2 of these just to be sure I can charge anything
View attachment 16345

Attachments

• RC-Charge-Anything-Octopus-Multi-Connector-18-in-Oneadapter.jpg
    RC-Charge-Anything-Octopus-Multi-Connector-18-in-Oneadapter.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 391

W. Reimer

Hey, I started on my first RC project a couple of days ago, I bought all the parts individually online and just now when I went to solder my battery connector to the board I realised the guy has sent me a battery with a female XT60 on the end and a connector with (what I think is) a male servo on the end. In other terms there is no way in hell I can get those two to connect.

Please don't be offended by this question, but I'm not clear about what you're saying here. Seeing as you've stated this is your "First RC project", I thought it best to ask. This connecter that you this is a male servo on the end...is this attached to a second lead coming from the battery, or are you referring to something coming from your kit?

JasonV

"My question is: I have a spare XT60 to banana charging cable, if I was to clip and strip that and solder it to the distribution board would it work or would it cause something to burn out?"

I think he is asking if he can cut the bannana connectors off and use the XT60 with leads to solder to the board? If that is the case then yes you can. Female XT60 goes on battery, Male goes on the board.

Last edited by a moderator:

W. Reimer

That may well be...I ask because I'm not clear if he is perhaps referring to the balance lead on the battery. He does say this is his first R/C project and may not be aware of the use of, and the need FOR a balance lead on a LiPo battery

That clears it up, I bet he was referring to that as the servo plug.

Sorry for being unclear. I meant the LiPo I bought was advertised as coming with a cable for connecting it to the power distribution board, the cable that was provided was actually a male servo cable with the other connector cut off and the connector attached to the battery was a male XT60. I wasn't referring to the balance lead as the servo plug, I have some (extremely vague) idea what the balance lead is for (in that my low voltage alarm is connected to it and it somehow tells my charger the number of cells and the voltage of my battery).
Thanks for clearing up my issue though (I did want to know if I could cut the bananas off and solder it to the board).
I have now had my first full flight with it, after every possible problem (including installing CW props on the CCW motors and vice versa and forgetting to turn self leveling on and having to catch it out of the air before it took off my face) and I am slowly learning the ropes.

Thanks for the help everyone.
One final question, someone advised me to install an in line switch between the battery and the distribution board, is this advisable? It seems to me that it would be a little pointless and could invite unnecessary problems.