xoar props

when i picked up a set of props from himodel, i accidently got 1 pair of the electric and one regular pair, the set of electrics exploded on me in flight. the tips just came off after 3-4min of flight time.

That's a bummer to here. I just ordered 20 sets for various configurations from Himodel last night. All electric. And I had non-electric in my cart until I realized there was a choice and switched them to electric. Oh well, I'll give a report next week. Tracking shows them arriving on Thursday. They were quick to ship!

Really a variable pitch prop would be nice ..

This has to happen at some point in the future and would be great. The ability to be able to fine tune the pitch and throttle would allow better flight in varying conditions. However, the maintenance on a variable pitch prop system would be a nightmare on 8 motors and we would need some serious telemetry system to tell us what each motor is doing.

jcmonty

I'll fly it in the 12x5 i got coming then find the right props from there....... sounds like this is close enough to hover and see where it's at, what it's like

right now i fly a quad with 2814 1000kv with 8x5 @ 2 kilo,,,,,,, it's really fast. I've never touched a 750kv motor so need some guidance... That explanation gives me some ideas.

That's the best idea. I think that you are pioneering with FFF on a larger setup. Most of us like slow and smooth :) What you may find with 11x8s, etc is that you have a hard time accelerating to speed, but once you are there, you are booking it

jcmonty

This has to happen at some point in the future and would be great. The ability to be able to fine tune the pitch and throttle would allow better flight in varying conditions. However, the maintenance on a variable pitch prop system would be a nightmare on 8 motors and we would need some serious telemetry system to tell us what each motor is doing.

Agreed. The whole concept of multis is the simplicity in design. Adding variable pitch adds another variable (ha) to the equation. Pretty cool paper on the topic http://acl.mit.edu/projects/vpitch_quad.html It's definitely doable and they benefits are huge for control authority.

mailman35

That's a bummer to here. I just ordered 20 sets for various configurations from Himodel last night. All electric. And I had non-electric in my cart until I realized there was a choice and switched them to electric. Oh well, I'll give a report next week. Tracking shows them arriving on Thursday. They were quick to ship!

yeah himodel did ship quick for me. i was running them on 1000kv motors. im thinking of going down in kv when i get a chance .

SYNDK8

Skyvokker

Any update on how those props worked out for you tahoelight?

kloner

Aerial DP
just to add to the post, xoar released a full lineup of matched pairs in both electric and nitro. Seen fpv manuals is selling matched electric pairs down to 9"

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Am I the only one having a hell of a time getting the Xoars to work? The hubs are sloppy on the 2814's shaft. And with/without balancing they shake the bejesus out of my rig making it un-flyable. I will try a new balancer and the straw/heat shrink trick but I have never had to do this before. It also seems like my efficiency has dramatically decreased compared to my 12" slow fly's. I just ordered a pair of apc thin 13x6.5 and 12x6 just to compare. I am only lifting a cx760 or nex5n for the most part on my av 200/360 XY8 config. with 8000mah 4s I am getting a safe 5 minutes on the 12" slow fly's, on the Xoars without a camera I get about 3-4 minutes. Something has to be wrong. maybe the vibrations were making them inefficient.

kloner

Aerial DP
you have 5/16 holes for 6mm shafts,,, like the old days, gotta space em out. There offering the pja like you got in matched pairs as a stock item now, they are drilled 6mm, we got some on order

mine are bad to the bone, it's this dam gimble giving me a fuss. i'm flying a nex5 8000mah same airframe at 3.8 kilo, even kloner style as fast as she'll go 7 minutes with 2000mah leftover

On my quads i used to fire em up in my hand and start feeling around for vibes and crap. This things like picking a fight with the wrong guy, theres no way to win.........

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
. with 8000mah 4s I am getting a safe 5 minutes on the 12" slow fly's, on the Xoars without a camera I get about 3-4 minutes. .

is that a typo? you said last night you were using 4000 mah batteries.

i explained to you that the bore on the latest batch was 1/4 instead of 6mm which leaves them a little sloppy and that a drinking straw works great as a bushing to center the props on the shafts. the apc's make more lift than the Xoars, but they're flimsy, break easily, induce what seems to me like a lot of vibration into the airframe, and can easily make a helicopter seem to floaty if they're not perfectly balanced with the weight of the heli.

it's more than just the lift a prop can produce. if the xoars don't work for you then you should go back to the apc's. if your prop balancer is f'd, don't blame the props.

Danub

^ I think I saw a pic of Kloner's xy8 and it looked like 2 x 4000 mah batts. . . .saddle style on the landing gear if I'm not mistaken.

For the guys that have used both do you prefer xoar or Graupner. . . . I am about to step up to "premium" props on my next build. This build is going to be a hex. . . UAP1 W/gimbal.
It will be my heaviest multi so far, probably 6-7#.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Bart, you ignorant slut, I told you I used 4000 4s batteries-true. But i have 2 of them. :)

I am COMPLETELY aware that you told me they are 1/4" holes. But I don't eat at Mcdonalds like you so having to find a perfect sized straw is kinda BS when you buy $15 props. There is no question that the design and craftsmanship of the XOars is top nothc. They are beautiful props. It's just a side effect of using a natural product that makes me wonder if they will ever stay balanced or start to go oblong on the shaft due to the soft nature of wood. I have had pretty good experiences with apc's and would certainly not call them garbage props as someone mentioned. I just want something that is perfect. Graupner needs to make different sizes as they have the best material, hub size, flex. They are also brutally dangerous and dont break when they hit something which is a downside but....

I'll give the Xoars another shot when my new balancer hub arrives. I tested my Top Flite magnetic balancer last night and it is indeed off but only ever so slightly due to one of the cones having notches I made to accomodate the props from DJI. I can't see that making the difference I am seeing here. The hub gap does make sense though.

kloner

Aerial DP
this is all unbalanced with heat shrink on my shafts, the heat shrink was heated and shrunk down snug. it makes it hard to get on and off, but they seem pretty decent. Been working on balancing them out the last couple days

they almost make zero noise..... i'm used to the graupner hornet sound

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Damn, you are pretty good with that thing. I would have lost sight at that distance. Well, obviously I have serious balancing issues that need to be worked out. I'll report back when my new balancer arrives. You're using the 12x5/12x7 combo right? Maybe lifting the av200/360 with camera is too much for this motor/prop setup?

Bartman

this is all unbalanced with heat shrink on my shafts, the heat shrink was heated and shrunk down snug. it makes it hard to get on and off, but they seem pretty decent. Been working on balancing them out the last couple days

...............video.............

they almost make zero noise..... i'm used to the graupner hornet sound

it takes me about two hours to get 8 props perfectly balanced. when they're done they're quiet and my video is at its best. i'm been experimenting with cutting longer props down to shorter lengths so the blades are even stiffer and have a deeper chord. it's a lot of trial and error to find what's best for your personal combination of heli and flying skills.

Bartman

step 1, get in your car
step 2, drive to nearest restaurant
step 3, walk in and pocket 2 drinking straws
step 4, walk out
step 5, drive home
step 6, cut 1/4" length of straw, stretch to fit prop shaft with needle nose pliers, slide into place
step 7, slide prop over straw and tighten prop nut
step 8, repeat

:)

tstrike

pendejo grande
I was just about to list a straw in the for sale section, but if you'd like I can send you it if you pay shipping.