Would this setup work?

aidenatt

I have finally got a list of most of the parts I will need for my QuadCopter, but I'm not sure how well, or if it will even work.

These are the parts I chose -

Frame - Reptile 500-v2
Motors - 4x AX-2810Q-750KV
ESC's - 4x HK 30A BlueSeries OR 4x Afro 30Amp
FC - ArduFlyer V2.5.2 FC
GPS - u-Blox CN-06 GPS Receiver V3.0
Telemetry Kit - 915Mhz Radio Telemetry Kit
Props - Unsure
Battery - Unsure
Transmitter - Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver (Mode 1)

Will this work? And also, do you have any battery or prop recommendations?

Thanks! :)

sounds like a good setup man! 10 inch props would work nice on that with a 4cell lipo :) well that's how I would set it up as. Happy flying!

aidenatt

Good to hear! :D

I actually just found someone's build using these specs-

REPTILE500 Frame from Himodel.com
Motors - AX-2810Q-750KV - Hobbyking
Props - GemFan Carbon Nylon 11x4.7
ESCs - Hobbyking 30A UBEC SimonK'd from
sgdrone.com
Flight Controller - APM2.5 with Ublox GPS
from sgdrone.com
Battery - HK 2200 Turnigy 20-30c 3S Lipo
AUW - 1.4kg with GoPro

His build is almost the same as mine, so I'm pretty confident this work well! :D I'm either going to use the same props as him, or use 10 inch ones like you suggested. I'm also going to get a 4s battery, I'm just not sure which one I should get to maximize my flight times for a decent price. Can you recommend any particular one?

sounds like a good setup man! 10 inch props would work nice on that with a 4cell lipo :) well that's how I would set it up as. Happy flying!

SoCal Blur

With regard to the Props, I have both Gemfan and APC props. Let me just say that the Gemfans were a pain to balance as they were horribly out of balance whereas the APC props took very little effort as they were all pretty close to being balanced to start with. That's something you may want to consider.

Good to hear! :D

I actually just found someone's build using these specs-

REPTILE500 Frame from Himodel.com
Motors - AX-2810Q-750KV - Hobbyking
Props - GemFan Carbon Nylon 11x4.7
ESCs - Hobbyking 30A UBEC SimonK'd from
sgdrone.com
Flight Controller - APM2.5 with Ublox GPS
from sgdrone.com
Battery - HK 2200 Turnigy 20-30c 3S Lipo
AUW - 1.4kg with GoPro

His build is almost the same as mine, so I'm pretty confident this work well! :D I'm either going to use the same props as him, or use 10 inch ones like you suggested. I'm also going to get a 4s battery, I'm just not sure which one I should get to maximize my flight times for a decent price. Can you recommend any particular one?
Yes! 11 inchh props would be good too! and I would go with 3000mah 4cell lipo to get around 20min of flight time maybe even more time if you dont bang on the sticks! haha

Happy Flying!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The Nano-Tech batteries from hobby king seem to be the most suggested on this forum. I took the advice and bought 2. So far so good , except they're a little heavy.

Not it sure what kind of rig krissy is flying, but from my experience, 20 minutes is a long flight. I'm getting closer to 10. Not that you can't get more, but 20 is pretty rare I think.

+1 on the APC props. Much easier to balance.

Good luck.

First I heard that the Turnigy Nano-Tech batteries were heavier than others...... They are compact but I want more power with less weight.... still looking.

I designed my S800 clone to do 25 minutes using eCalc, 15 x 5 carbon fiber props, pancake style motors and parallel Nanotech 6S -5000 maH batteries. But in actual test flights I only got 23 minutes...... but that was hovering only and without the Hero GoPro3 and 2 axis brushless gimbal system.

The Nano-Tech batteries from hobby king seem to be the most suggested on this forum. I took the advice and bought 2. So far so good , except they're a little heavy.

Not it sure what kind of rig krissy is flying, but from my experience, 20 minutes is a long flight. I'm getting closer to 10. Not that you can't get more, but 20 is pretty rare I think.

+1 on the APC props. Much easier to balance.

Good luck.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Peter is right. Additional batteries is a whole different story. I thought the OP was only talking 1. I got the nano-tech 5000mah 3S and it's pretty hefty. It's over 400 grams. Probably not bad considering it's charge - but man that adds up!

aidenatt

Hmm, another guy recommended a 5000 mAh 3S battery. Most of them weigh over 400 grams though.

Should I go for one of those? Or should I buy two 3000 mAh 4S ones? (One charging, one flying)

For the props, I'm just going to try out a few different sizes and brands to see what I like best.

aidenatt

Hmm, another guy recommended a 5000 mAh 3S battery. Most of them weigh over 400 grams though.

Should I go for one of those? Or should I buy two 3000 mAh 4S ones? (One charging, one flying)

For the props, I'm just going to try out a few different sizes and brands to see what I like best.

This guy also recommended a high discharge rate. Around 45C. Should I worry about that?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
You really need to plug your numbers into eCalc to see a ballpark of what you component choices will get you. Regardless of which battery, plan on buying 2. You are not going to want to only get 1 flight and then have to wait. I wish I had MORE than 2!!! :)

Regarding discharge rate, it really depends on the craft. Will yours need it? If not, it's wasted. ECalc will help with this too. Just make sure your ESCs can handle the power distribution when you decide which battery you want. It's a constant dance between weight and power. More amps weigh more, so it really will depend what the AUW is without the batteries. Strike a balance between weight and power and you'll get the best flight times.

EDIT: I just checked ecalc - and those motors are not listed, and of course HK doesn't list all the pertinent details. The pancake style motors are good for heavy lifting - but the frame you are looking at doesn't seem to necessarily be a heavy lifter. Play around with some motor/battery configurations and see what you can come up with.

Last edited by a moderator:

aidenatt

That was my problem, and the reason I'm asking people to recommend parts. None of the parts I have chosen are listed and I don't know all of their details.

Should I maybe just try similar components?

Also, I am now looking at the X650F frame. It is 100g heavier. Is that much of an increase do you think? Or is that fine?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
That was my problem, and the reason I'm asking people to recommend parts. None of the parts I have chosen are listed and I don't know all of their details.

Should I maybe just try similar components?

Also, I am now looking at the X650F frame. It is 100g heavier. Is that much of an increase do you think? Or is that fine?

I have the x650f right now - and honestly it is unnecessarily heavy. There are other frames out there (even cheap ones from HK) that are lighter - and there is not much that this frame offers that isn't replicated on lighter frames.

eCalc can be frustrating this way. I am hoping that now that they have the paid subscription, that they increase the number of specs they have available - but I'm afraid this is partially due to manufacturers not contributing. Try some similar motors and battery combos. It will at least give you an idea of where you're at. You may have mentioned this before - but what is your goal with this quad???

You do not need to go with batteries greater than 35C especially when using two in parallel as the C rating nearly doubles.
If you buy 45C you are getting much heavier batteries which also shortens flight time.

This guy also recommended a high discharge rate. Around 45C. Should I worry about that?

aidenatt

I sort of steered away from the x650f because of the weight, but figured 100g more wasn't so bad. Plus it does look pretty cool, and is cheap. :p

Really, I just want to have fun, maybe do some tricks and occasionally get some GoPro footage. Nothing crazy. If I'm successful with this build I'll be building an fpv hexacopter though. :D

While a 2nd set of batteries is a good idea, keep in mind that many quickly decide to evolve their Multirotors towards larger payloads requiring motor upgrades.
That puts you in a situation where you have to move up to 4S, 5S and 6S batteries sooner or later.
So that means you could get stuck with lightly used 3S batteries that will be difficult to sell for a reasonable price.
Buyers are extra cautious about buying used batteries.

You really need to plug your numbers into eCalc to see a ballpark of what you component choices will get you. Regardless of which battery, plan on buying 2. You are not going to want to only get 1 flight and then have to wait. I wish I had MORE than 2!!! :)

Regarding discharge rate, it really depends on the craft. Will yours need it? If not, it's wasted. ECalc will help with this too. Just make sure your ESCs can handle the power distribution when you decide which battery you want. It's a constant dance between weight and power. More amps weigh more, so it really will depend what the AUW is without the batteries. Strike a balance between weight and power and you'll get the best flight times.

EDIT: I just checked ecalc - and those motors are not listed, and of course HK doesn't list all the pertinent details. The pancake style motors are good for heavy lifting - but the frame you are looking at doesn't seem to necessarily be a heavy lifter. Play around with some motor/battery configurations and see what you can come up with.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Once again I agree with Peter. When I decided on my components (including the battery type) I knew that my next move would be a completely different craft - so the 3S would always be appropriate for the quad I have now. The 3S got me the best flight times, but just for this quad. My next one will be an H-Quad style, with a completely different setup. So I will most likely move up to 4S - which would have been nice if they were all the same, but helps me keep compartmentalized. At least that's what I tell myself :)

honestly, if you can make the 4S work there is more room to grow. It's definitely worth looking into.

Markeaye

Markeaye
X650f trouble

I got this frame (x650f) from HK too, but that was all. I had some parts left over from a crashed Bumblebee, as well as a multiwii pro with gps. Also had some unused 30a HK blue esc's that I flashed with Simon K. I loaded the FC with MultiWii 2.3, Wired it up, plugged it in to the WinGui, and saw all the bells and whistles I thought I should see. It even popped up an old photo of my house. I was kinda tickled at that because I live 60 miles north of Vegas, in the frickin middle of the desert. Cut to chase. when I disconnected the usb, and stuck a 5000mah 20c in it the 9xr dutifly armed the bird. Three out of for motors spun up. Surprised me when it popped to life at a low rpm with no stick in the throttle. You catch that little problem? Three out of four. The other one just kinda sat there and twitched. Thought I had a little screw stuck in the motor. No screw, damn. Since then it won't try to arm. Light comes on, then out. Also developed another problem. Peachy. With no battery attached, the motors act like their dragging on the magnetic field in the motors. Take a motor, touch two leads, turn by hand. A little stiff till you uncross the leads. I have 4008, 620kv pancake motors coming from Banggood, real soon, ones here already. Figures, the other three were ordered, and the one was on backorder and got here first. Please tell me, Master Motopreserve, Where did I go wrong, aside from spending my hard earned money on VERY expensive toys?

Last edited by a moderator: