Would FPV Help or Hinder Me?

jforkner

Background...
Three years ago I lost the vision in my right eye due to a freak accident. Prior to that, I did AP from an R/C airplane. With vision in only one eye, I have no depth perception which makes flying R/C planes difficult---basically I can't judge proximity to objects like trees, power-lines, etc. As a result, I quit flying until recently when I discovered the wonderful world of multicopters. I find the stability and ease of flying a multi within close-proximity to myself easier (and safer), so I'm getting back into the AP hobby.​

It occurs to me that FPV flying is basically a 2-dimensional visual endeavor (either via a ground-based monitor or goggles). In other words, it would seem my lack of depth perception would not be an issue when viewing the flight on a monitor or thru goggles.

Is this a correct perception? Do any of you experienced FPVers think flying with only vision in one eye would be doable? Any input or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jack

ghaynes

Jack

My opinion is go for it. I tried a couple of different lens types on my FPV camera from RMRC (They have three lens sizes and they are cheap). Tried each one and found that I liked the 2.8mm the best. Took my CS8 into the air, put in altitude and position hold close to a small bush and then checked the view through the goggles so that I could get a feel for how close I was to the object. Did the same thing with height then took off AH and landed. No depth perception needed.

The just a matter of flying....the best part.

Gary

kloner

Aerial DP
it is a blast. i've never tried closing one eye, but if your used to it, seems fpv wouldn't make it any harder.

I prefer a monitor