Would an F550 Be Stable If Built As A Quad?

Dezy

As my first build to hang a gopro from, I was thinking that by not using the M1and M4 arms of the F550, this would help keep the arms out of the camera view. In other words, to build the F550 as a quad X.:highly_amused:

Has anyone tried this? Is it stable?

I’ll be using the NAZA Lite FC, and Tiger MT 2216-12 800kv motors.

Thanks in advance for any opinions / advice.

Dezy

The WooKong allows you to configure the FC for the H shape but not the NAZA which does not seem to be an issue apparently as mentioned in this thread.
At least not until you change to larger prop diameters and motors due to the extra space available with 2 arms removed.
Keep in mind NAZA documentation suggests keeping more arm lengths less than 650 mm.

Dezy

Thanks, All.

I do plan on not using anything larger than a 10” prop , and keeping the stock DJI arms, since I have limited hours in the air and will be needing cheap replacements.:highly_amused:

My main concern was that with the motors being closer to each other on the left and right side of the craft, that it wouldn’t hover as well as a typical X configuration.

But I think I’ll give it a try – having a wider field of view for the camera would be nice, with the added benefit of having a larger base to spread components out.

Tahoe Ed

I built one. It flies fine, not great because you are right it is somewhat unbalanced. The Naza did a good job compensating. I don't think that I would enjoy flying it in Manual.

Dezy

Thanks, Ed

This first build will be for photography (and building some flying skills), so as long as it stays relatively still for a gopro-photo using GPS, I'll be happy.

I'll probably try just hard-mounting the camera, instead of using a gimball, to try and keep the wind resistance low.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
well, that would be what I like to call an XY layout and so far I've flown it with Mikrokopter, Hoverfly PRO, Wookong, and NAZA-M V2. The NAZA hasn't been fully tuned because we're still stuck in wintergeddon here in NJ but i'm hoping the weather's going to break in the next week or two.

give it a try, I'll bet it will fly great. the NAZA Lite might not love it but you won't know if you don't try.

Dezy

Thanks, Bart. I got the idea from a photo you posted in the :
[h=3]Group Build, DJI NAZA/F450 Quadcopter! thread.[/h]Since I have both the F450 and F550 frames, it should be easy to switch back the arms to the F450, if the XY F550 doesn't work out.

I can't believe I'm already accumulating spare parts and I haven't even got one in the air yet!

DWA

I have seen a few guys do this with the 550. I think it would be fine. I think that is funny your comment about already accumulating spare parts.

As my first build to hang a gopro from, I was thinking that by not using the M1and M4 arms of the F550, this would help keep the arms out of the camera view. In other words, to build the F550 as a quad X.:highly_amused:

Has anyone tried this? Is it stable?

I’ll be using the NAZA Lite FC, and Tiger MT 2216-12 800kv motors.

Thanks in advance for any opinions / advice.

Dezy
Dezy how did you go with the F550 quad?
Had this thought myself... searched. .. and came across this topic.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk 2

Dezy

I'm pretty happy with the result. It does feel a little unstable in Manual mode, using the NAZA Lite, but in Attitude and GPS modes, its stable and smooth in flight and holds position easily.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I'm pretty happy with the result. It does feel a little unstable in Manual mode, using the NAZA Lite, but in Attitude and GPS modes, its stable and smooth in flight and holds position easily.

and ever so slowly the XY format marches on towards world domination! :strawberry: