Wookong M and Hobbywing 25A Funfly ESC

Hi All

Has anyone got any experience with Hobbywing Funfly 25A ESC and the Wookong. Are they compatible? I appreciate that they have a BEC so the red wire will be removed. Any suggestions / comments on these or recommendations on a tried and test setup would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Blacksails

I have used the 40a funflys in my octo and that is flying very nicely at the moment.

The funflys are Hobbywing Pentiums. Hobbywing had to rename them after intel got angry with them. The pentiums/funflys are also rebranded as turnigy plush etc. Meaning you can use the turnigy programming card on them too. Lots of people are using them with the WKM without a problem.

Hope that helps

Blacksails

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I have used the 25 and 18's no mither.. I am flying the 18's on my ADX3 and she flies lovley. You may need to tweek the timings so I would advise getting a card as its far easier then using the transmitter and beeps!

Dave

Thank you both for your reply That's good to know. I have made enough mistakes for now :) I will get the card as I am not sure I have the timings right. I think I have set them to High but at the moment its all a bit twitchy.

The model is a CX-4 with AXI motors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blacksails

No probs.

You'll probably want low to medium timing. That's the general setting for multis. You'll also want to set the battery type to ni-xx, cut off voltage to low and the cut off type to soft. This will stop it from dropping out of the sky unexpectedly when the esc's attempt to save your lipos.....but you probably already knew this

No I didn't. Thank you. This is my first experience with Programable ESC's. I have only had DJI ESC's before and initially set up the CX with the DJI Motors and DJI 30A ESC's and it was perfect I have only moved on as the DJI motors where getting hot and I wanted them back on my F450. So this is all good advice.

Blacksails

Ah ok. The reason we set them up like that is if the esc's are left on the lipo setting they cut power to the motors when the battery reaches a set voltage (3.0v I believe ....?). They do this in order to prevent permanent damage to the lipo. This is fine on a plank that can glide in to a safe landing, but on multirotors a motor out quite often means the copter becomes a falling brick.

If set to ni-xx with the mentioned cut off settings, the ESC will not cut power to the motors. This allows you to limp the copter home, saving the airframe and expensive imu etc whilst sacrificing the lipo.