WKM v.5.20 experiences

kristiaj

I've been using v.5.02 for a year or so now. Never had any problems with it. But I wanted the new redundancy feature that DJi included in the firmware from v.5.16, in case a prop or motor breaks on my hex, so I upgraded to 5.20 now. I've started testing, everything works great with the same settings I used on 5.02! I'm not using any special features except IOC. No waypoint, poi, return etc. The multirotor seems a little more calm than before, behaves very good.

I plan to test another 10-20 flights before taking this multirotor out on photography jobs, but from what I've seen so far it looks good.
Anyone else want to share their experience on 5.20?

olof

Osprey
I have flown 3 times now with 5.20, no problems whatever.

I never had problems with 5.16 or 5.18 either. 5.18 seemed a little smoother on takeoff than 5.16 and 5.20 seems as smooth as 5.18.

I have about 50 flights on the S800, most of them on 5.16. The only problem I have ever had has been my bad decisions. I broke 2 arms a while ago when I switched to manual mode too close to the ground and had the throttle at 50%, so the 800 dropped 6' too the ground like a rock. Bonehead move on my part. Now I know better.

Also about 20 flights or so on 5.20....no troubles on my f550 converted to Heavy Lift.

5.18 had frequent momentary motor cutouts which, while they did not ultimately cause damage, made me just ground the bird compleatly until they were addressed. Don't know what they were all about...but it says a lot that DJI would choose to release firmware which had such problems and then refuse to answer questions.

....sT

Benchmark

I am still running 5.16 and have been waiting to upgrade to 5.20 if not for the horror stories i heard in the beginning , it sounds like so far everybody is happy with 5.20, should I upgrade?

VINHEX

I've been running 5.16 then went to 5.18. But did have some cut outs in startup which worried me. I pushed up to 5.20 then herd someone planted their S800 on it so dropped back. Considering moving up to 5.20 again only thing that worries me is DJI give the option to reverse back to 5.16 almost as they are really confident with this and not 5.20.. 5.18 looks like it really has some issues if they won't allow you to drop back to that level.

I am now noticing that the GPS Hold function is not as rock solid as it has been in the past. Although I am not showing any red flashing, I am still get some drifting. It's not bad....just enough to annoy.

It may be bad angles on the satellites, but this has gone on for several days now and at various times of the day.

....sT

louiealadph

So Far i Flew @ 5.20FW with my AD8 HL octo. 12Flights now. stay rock and steady. :) happy on it..

Sometimes i have issues. getting lock in gps. but i realize that seems im at the urban area that time. too hard to get gps lock. now all is okay. :)

Cheers!

Tahoe Ed

I am now noticing that the GPS Hold function is not as rock solid as it has been in the past. Although I am not showing any red flashing, I am still get some drifting. It's not bad....just enough to annoy.

It may be bad angles on the satellites, but this has gone on for several days now and at various times of the day.

....sT

Check solar activity. It can have a large effect on your GPS accuracy.

kristiaj

Thanks. I have flown around 15 battery packs now, everything feels ok.

If I should make a comment, it would be that the altitude hold seems to be more dependant on the throttle stick being placed at the exactly right place. But I upgraded from 5.02, so this may have been changed a long time ago. I should probably make å throttle curve or something in my TX to have some deadband on throttle stick center.

VINHEX

Yep just moved up to 5.20 no flying yet but think it's time too.. Will see how she fly's once the crappy weather moves off and gives us spring

gtranquilla

RadioActive
GPS position triangulation @ your MR GPS receiver is dependent upon GPS satellites transmitting their positions simultaneously but also relies upon all incoming GPS signals to arrive at your GPS receiver at the same speed which is most often the case.

Unfortunately very active solar flare activity stimulates the ionosphere which in turn affects the radio signal speeds coming from many of the GPS satellites. Since some of these satellites are at a signifcant low azimuth and/or elevation angle to your MR GPS receiver there is more ionosphere to travel through which affects the speed of some incoming radio signals more than others.

Don't ask how the system accounts for the high velocities of each satellite travelling in different directions!.... hint.... it involves Einsteins general or special theory of relativity....... seriously!

what do you mean solar activity sir? like what?

Last edited by a moderator:

VINHEX

Flew yesterday with 5.20 all good smooth and rock steady.. Nice landings and fail-safe worked spot on..

mitsaras

Hi Vin,
did you notice any difference from previous f/w? We are still on 5.16...
Win
d about 35 km/h here today - hopefully get some flights this weekend!

Hi Vin

I see on the DJI Website you can roll back to 5.14 instead of 5.16.

I honestly can not tell you why they are doing it.

I have lost faith in DJI and all their products

I've been running 5.16 then went to 5.18. But did have some cut outs in startup which worried me. I pushed up to 5.20 then herd someone planted their S800 on it so dropped back. Considering moving up to 5.20 again only thing that worries me is DJI give the option to reverse back to 5.16 almost as they are really confident with this and not 5.20.. 5.18 looks like it really has some issues if they won't allow you to drop back to that level.

VINHEX

It was gusty when I was flying, my friend who had a Disco was getting a little tippy... Happy with firmware all seemed to be smooth and stable.. Steve, I think 5.18 was a little bit buggy which is what they corrected.. I flew on 5.16 for a while due to hearing poor results on 5.20 but that was only one result.. I was getting better reviews from 5.20 than negative so went for it..

Last edited by a moderator: